3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

`headlight problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 01:25 PM

`headlight problems

hey guys i have an 89se and i bought those hyper white lights. well my first set was awesome, lit up nice but about a month later the plugs melted for some reason (heat i guess) and so i bought new healight bulbs and new plugs to solve the problem (so i thought), now the new bulbs are a different brand i wanted to see if it was the other brand that did it. but now a month later with new bulbs and new plugs they did it again. and with them doing that it shorts them out sometimes or makes them real dim and dead looking. has anyone expierenced this or maybe have an idea of how i can fix it after i buy new plugs and bulbs again. any input is helpful input thanks.......
Old 01-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You need a upgraded wiring harness

Originally Posted by 89badmaxse
hey guys i have an 89se and i bought those hyper white lights. well my first set was awesome, lit up nice but about a month later the plugs melted for some reason (heat i guess) and so i bought new healight bulbs and new plugs to solve the problem (so i thought), now the new bulbs are a different brand i wanted to see if it was the other brand that did it. but now a month later with new bulbs and new plugs they did it again. and with them doing that it shorts them out sometimes or makes them real dim and dead looking. has anyone expierenced this or maybe have an idea of how i can fix it after i buy new plugs and bulbs again. any input is helpful input thanks.......

The sockets are burning because our headlight wires were not made to take on the higher wattage bulbs that are on the market these days. I have an upgraded wiring that I used on my car for awhile that is not in use anymore. It works goods. I will ship it to you for $25???
Old 01-18-2004, 03:39 PM

yeah like tightblue89 said. use an upgraded wiring harness if you want to run high wattage bulbs. or stick with bulbs that use stock wattage. in this case, i'd recommend sylvania silverstars.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:29 PM
Lil 8

yup u need to either increase the gauge of the head light wires to at least 14 gauge i would think to accept the current demand or just use a lower wattage bulb
Old 01-20-2004, 06:43 PM

tightblue89 if my new sockets and bulbs do this again ill be getting your address to send money to for those harnesses.

i got 2 new aftermarket sockets yesterday and a new set of bulbs and wired them up the sockets have thicker then stock wires on them so i am hoping this works. so far so good i drove around a bit last night and drove with them on for a while today to see if it started to melt plugs again and is hasnt.....yet...... you guys were right because the guy at the parts store said these new fangled lights have alot of wattage and will melt up stock wires im keepin my fingers crossed....
Old 01-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by 89badmaxse
tightblue89 if my new sockets and bulbs do this again ill be getting your address to send money to for those harnesses.

i got 2 new aftermarket sockets yesterday and a new set of bulbs and wired them up the sockets have thicker then stock wires on them so i am hoping this works. so far so good i drove around a bit last night and drove with them on for a while today to see if it started to melt plugs again and is hasnt.....yet...... you guys were right because the guy at the parts store said these new fangled lights have alot of wattage and will melt up stock wires im keepin my fingers crossed....

yea what is the wattage of the new bulbs?if the low is like 85/ and the high is 100 be on the look out for the burned sockets, then u need to do what u have done increase the wire gauge. Because the OEM socket gauge is a joke something like 18 ga too damn small.