3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Running Lean, Techs lets see if we can figure this out!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 09:18 PM

Running Lean, Techs lets see if we can figure this out!!!!!

Well my car is running lean. The MODIS snap-on diagnostic tool was plugged to the Diagnostic port to communicate and monitor the ECU. Now at the beginning the o2 was very lazy so we changed it. Got a bosch unit and installed it, the reading were fluctuating at a much faster rate. OK once the o2 sensor was changed then we were monitoring the fluctuations and seeing how the ECU was reading either lean or rich. Well when we put propane through the air filter the car runs extremely rich and the ECU recognizes it but then as the propane is taken out the car becomes lean but the ECU is still remains reading rich while the o2 is reading 60 but the ECU is saying Rich. Then sometimes it stays very RICH and the ECU says lean. Very weird problem my mechanic says and he believes its the ECU as the culprit. Well the car is not going to be driven until its fixed so its all about changing parts until it gets fixed. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to solve my problem. My next thing is to ask a fellow member to let me take their ECU out and put it in my car to see if that fixes the problem. If anyone has one for sale I would be more than glad to pay for shipping or even if considering to sell one I would buy one from you for a 1992 Maxima VE 5 speed. All responses are more than appreciated.

Thanks,
Diego
Old 01-22-2004, 11:34 PM

Please anyone have any thoughts on my problem.

Bump
Old 01-22-2004, 11:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

Reset the ecu once. Check fuel pressures.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

kind of wierd... were you getting a check engine light or something? I saw the thread eariler but I dont really have any idea's.

I dont think it would be an ecu thing, it seems kind of wierd but maybe. who knows, lol.
I've got a spare, maybe we can work something out
Old 01-22-2004, 11:42 PM

Jeff the fuel pressure at idle was 40psi Jeff.

The ECU was reset with the MODIS tool.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:20 AM
mod or sell?

bTW IIRC you can also use the A/Ts ecu as well
Old 01-23-2004, 06:32 AM

i assume this has already been thought of but just incase....
have you adjusted the air/fuel ratio at the iacv?

i was having some issues with a high idle but i tinkered with my ecu and the iacv and everything seems to be running fine at the moment...

the weird part is...no matter how rich i set the air/fuel the ecu keeps telling me i'm running lean.
i hate the fuggin' obd-1 POS!
Old 01-23-2004, 06:47 AM

I hear you man, its just a pain in the a$$ to deal with. Thanks to Mr.Gone he's letting me borrow his ECU so we'll see how that goes, if it doesn't go well then I don't know what to start looking at. My IACV has been adjusted but still the damn ECU keeps on staying stuck at either Rich or Lean. I hope its the ECU if not I feel like pouring kersone all over my car and throwing a match .
Old 01-23-2004, 06:47 AM

diego i have the ecu from my parts car, i need it for when i do my variable intake swap but for now its just sitting in my room

if you want we can use it as a test and see if the ecu is the problem but i need it back obviously
Old 01-23-2004, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the offer Joe but Mr.Gone told me if it works we'll work something out and plus I don't want to make you come down all the way from exit 63 or 62 to try out the ECU. Mr.Gone sent it 2 day air so I should have it here by Tuesday. Thanks for the offer once again .

How's you car doing?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:27 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

hey my freind told me you IMed me before, I could let you use the ecu, since I wanted to get down to Andy's anyway. oh well, at least your twin helped you out.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:39 AM

Yea I mean if you're going to Andy's that would be fine but just don't go there for me. I appreciate it but Andy told me that there is no problem with the car staying there until Tuesday when I get the ECU.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by D-sta
Yea I mean if you're going to Andy's that would be fine but just don't go there for me. I appreciate it but Andy told me that there is no problem with the car staying there until Tuesday when I get the ECU.

I dont know I might get down there tommorow. I got some stuff today and I really want to clean the car off after yesterday. but If I get down there Ill give you a call.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:56 AM

i was wondering why there isn't more mention of the onboard diagnostic on the org. i used it the other day to check on the o2 sensor. do you guys think it isn't helpful? maybe a dumb question since it didn't really help me...
Old 01-23-2004, 07:56 AM

Yea man if anything just let Andy do it since the car is there. I dunno if i can make it tomorrow. Thanks once again Jason.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:52 AM

If it's the ECU, that's just a good excuse to buy the JWT one
Old 01-23-2004, 09:10 AM

Well my car is running lean. The MODIS snap-on diagnostic tool was plugged to the Diagnostic port to communicate and monitor the ECU. Now at the beginning the o2 was very lazy so we changed it. Got a bosch unit and installed it, the reading were fluctuating at a much faster rate. OK once the o2 sensor was changed then we were monitoring the fluctuations and seeing how the ECU was reading either lean or rich. Well when we put propane through the air filter the car runs extremely rich and the ECU recognizes it but then as the propane is taken out the car becomes lean but the ECU is still remains reading rich while the o2 is reading 60 but the ECU is saying Rich. Then sometimes it stays very RICH and the ECU says lean. Very weird problem my mechanic says and he believes its the ECU as the culprit. Well the car is not going to be driven until its fixed so its all about changing parts until it gets fixed. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to solve my problem. My next thing is to ask a fellow member to let me take their ECU out and put it in my car to see if that fixes the problem. If anyone has one for sale I would be more than glad to pay for shipping or even if considering to sell one I would buy one from you for a 1992 Maxima VE 5 speed. All responses are more than appreciated.

Thanks,
Diego
Get a power balance test done. You could have clogged injectors that are'nt flowing evenly. The filter screen on the injectors gets pretty bad over the years, and if yours are original then they may need to be cleaned. Also its always a good idea to clean out your IACV.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:18 AM

Eric a power balance test was done by the snap-on Modis tool. Everything seem to be working fine according to my mechanic. Now the thing is he's going to clean my injectors today and change the fuel pump with a walbro 255 and replace the filter. Boy I'm glad you replied and will forward all this info to my mechanic.

Paul it is a good exuse to get the JWT ECU the only thing that sucks is the down time to wait to get the ECU back from them.

Thanks for the suggestions guys anything else anyone can think of please speak your mind all replies are welcomed.

Thanks Once Again,
Diego
Old 01-23-2004, 09:28 AM

"clean the injectors" how? The thing is they need to be removed in order to clean the filter screen, also they should probably be re-seated will all new o-rings since they are known to leak over time.

What symptoms does your car have, that made you start doing all this diagnosis?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:15 AM

The spark plugs were white and the car in the morning when it warms up starts making a popping noise. When the car is running lean it is making the popping noise but when we are throwing propane in through the intake the car is running rich and the popping noise goes away. Also when driving it sometimes the gas doesn't respond and then it comes back all of a suddden as if the fuel was cut off and then bam it comes back. Sometimes when it happens and the fuel is not coming in I can still hear the intake sucking air in. Eric I will tell my mechanic about cleaning the screen and that to clean them you have to remove the injectors completely. Thanks once again Eric for responding.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:59 AM

d-sta,
this is starting to sound quite similar to some of the symptoms i experienced due to a malfunctioning o2 sensor. please make sure that you have tested the o2 sensor before you go through too much money and trouble. believe me, it's amazing how much an o2 sensor can screw up how your car is running.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:02 AM

The o2 was replaced with a bosch unit yesterday and still the lean factor remains .
Old 01-23-2004, 11:03 AM

The o2 was replaced with a bosch unit yesterday and still the lean factor remains .
oops, i forgot that i read that earlier in the post.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:07 AM

No problem. I just wish I had an answer, right now I am just counting on the ECU is bad and hopefully the one Mr.Gone is sending me will fix it
Old 01-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

No problem. I just wish I had an answer, right now I am just counting on the ECU is bad and hopefully the one Mr.Gone is sending me will fix it

awww, like a brother donating a kidney

good luck
Old 01-23-2004, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by N34JZ
awww, like a brother donating a kidney

good luck
Your just jealous there isn't someone like him for you and if there was, that would make two maxima owners with bad taste Get rid of that wing!
Old 01-23-2004, 12:59 PM

Well update we found out that the gauge tank unit a.k.a. the fuel sending unit was all rotted and messed up and causing wires to short which can cause my problem. I still want the ECU Mr.Gone just to see if the problem still remains. If not needed I will next day it to you.

Thanks again for the responses,
Diego
Old 01-23-2004, 01:26 PM

Your just jealous there isn't someone like him for you and if there was, that would make two maxima owners with bad taste Get rid of that wing!

Best reply ever

(oh noes, twin told Jay to ditch the wing )

I just got back from sending it out, but I forgot the starter for the core charge so I need to go and get that done real quickly.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

what wing Beyotch!!?

congrats on finding the problems, probably pretty common among old engines
Old 01-23-2004, 03:21 PM

it looks better with the wing than with nothing at all, lol.

btw, Diego, it was cheaper than expected, lol. It only weighed 1.7lbs so it was $13.38.
I was trying to find something else to put in the box for fun, but couldnt find anything small enough. Now that I think about it I could have used a spark plug or something, just for a WTF is this kind of reaction hehehe.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone

Best reply ever

(oh noes, twin told Jay to ditch the wing )

I just got back from sending it out, but I forgot the starter for the core charge so I need to go and get that done real quickly.

I guess that makes you the premature twin that was left on life support.

ooooooohhhhhhhh.. I got your back Jay. Your my brother you got the heat and I got the ice..
Old 01-23-2004, 05:06 PM

Izzy you're a corn ball
Old 01-23-2004, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by N34JZ
what wing Beyotch!!?

congrats on finding the problems, probably pretty common among old engines
oo so the garage princess sees snow..?
Old 01-24-2004, 08:34 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by Maximan190
oo so the garage princess sees snow..?

I had it out to wash it.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:42 PM

The spark plugs were white and the car in the morning when it warms up starts making a popping noise. When the car is running lean it is making the popping noise but when we are throwing propane in through the intake the car is running rich and the popping noise goes away. Also when driving it sometimes the gas doesn't respond and then it comes back all of a suddden as if the fuel was cut off and then bam it comes back. Sometimes when it happens and the fuel is not coming in I can still hear the intake sucking air in. Eric I will tell my mechanic about cleaning the screen and that to clean them you have to remove the injectors completely. Thanks once again Eric for responding.
Dude, popping = misfiring!
I'd say its your injectors (or o-rings more likely). After I reseated all of mine the buh..buh sound went away aka popping.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:49 PM

Well if the new fuel pump sending unit, walbro fuel pump and ECU don't fix the problem I am going to be extremely ****ed but all I could say after that is to take out the injectors have them cleaned and buy new o-rings.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Well update we found out that the gauge tank unit a.k.a. the fuel sending unit was all rotted and messed up and causing wires to short which can cause my problem. I still want the ECU Mr.Gone just to see if the problem still remains. If not needed I will next day it to you.

Thanks again for the responses,
Diego

Just curious what the gauge tank/fuel sending unit is? I looked in my fsm and see no mention of this. Is it actually called something? Where is it and what is it connected to?

Do you mean fuel level sending unit? If so then how would that cause a problem.

Just curious because my car is extremely rich and although I havent bothered checking much I believe I have a leaky injector but this may be something for me to look at.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:38 PM

Well Nissan's real term is "Gauge Tank Unit" its the same exact thing as the fuel level sending unit, the thing that holds the fuel pump in place. Well mine shows signs of it being burned to a crisp where the electrical connections are. Thats a scary thought especially when this unit sits ontop of the gas tank . Anyhow it's being replaced because its faulty and looks bad. The resistance on the fuel pump was not the greatest so my mechanic said to change the "gauge tank unit" before we put the walbro 255lph pump in because it looks like it can only get worse. It was only $76.00 through Star Nissan dealer with the nice help of an org member who works there.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Well Nissan's real term is "Gauge Tank Unit" its the same exact thing as the fuel level sending unit, the thing that holds the fuel pump in place. Well mine shows signs of it being burned to a crisp where the electrical connections are. Thats a scary thought especially when this unit sits ontop of the gas tank . Anyhow it's being replaced because its faulty and looks bad. The resistance on the fuel pump was not the greatest so my mechanic said to change the "gauge tank unit" before we put the walbro 255lph pump in because it looks like it can only get worse. It was only $76.00 through Star Nissan dealer with the nice help of an org member who works there.

Ok thanks I figured it was something like that.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:51 PM

Yea actually when calling some dealers they were like what the hell is that, I'm like I guess its the fuel sender unit instead. But some dealers did know what it was.

Quick Reply: Running Lean, Techs lets see if we can figure this out!!!!!