3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rusting Out: Fix or Live With It

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 10:50 AM

Rusting Out: Fix or Live With It

Hey ppl,
As most of you, I love my Maxima and maintain it very well.
Yesterday I discovered a hole where the rear passenger side seatbelt bolts to the floor. Unfortunately I live in a city where winter hits somewhat hard and the roads get salted heavily. So I've built up some rust. It's mostly in the rear of the car. Wheel wells, trunk walls, wheel well rims. I also have some rust in the front end too. The passenger side upper strut tower is starting to rust a bit.
I expect this to happen but it's getting to the point where I will have to make a decision this year. Do I fork out the money and get a professional to fix it? Do I patch it up myself as a temporary fix? or, Do I let it go and wait until the cars body is finished off?
I have a fair amount of time, money, blood, sweat and mods invested into my maxima and I really enjoy the car.
I've thought about shopping around for another 3rd gen with a better body and that seems like a good idea but it will be tough to find one locally like that or one cheap enough to be worth it.
I'm leaning towards having a body shop do the repairs under my close observation. I was totally screwed over when I got my car repainted and my body work for an accident. So if my car goes to a body shop again it'll be under my close observation.

sorry, i'm a little long winded on this subject. i'd really appreciate some insight from ppl who are in the same boat.

thanx
Old 01-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there are many rust inhibitor products out there. they are okay, but offer only temporary help at best. as with old classics, as i have had some, the car needs to be dismantled and sandblasted, then apoxy-primered. if this is unrealistic, then inhibit some areas, and strip the really critical areas. rust must be completely cut/blasted off the car for it to be truly conquered. it is also a matter of cash.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:02 AM
mod or sell?

if it's that bad, I'd start looking for a new body.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by bonzelite
there are many rust inhibitor products out there. they are okay, but offer only temporary help at best. as with old classics, as i have had some, the car needs to be dismantled and sandblasted, then apoxy-primered. if this is unrealistic, then inhibit some areas, and strip the really critical areas. rust must be completely cut/blasted off the car for it to be truly conquered. it is also a matter of cash.
i have an incredible inhibitor(CRC 400) but that only provides piece of mind to me. i would prefer to eliminate the problem.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:04 AM

id defiently say get it repaired, and i would watch them , i never leave my car at a shop coz ive had trouble with that. anyway, bondo;duct tape, and beer cans are always good for fixin bodywork.

man im glad i live in texas
Old 01-29-2004, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
if it's that bad, I'd start looking for a new body.
IMO it's not THAT bad. I'm just trying to be cautious before it gets too much worse.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by harrymay
anyway, bondo;duct tape, and beer cans are always good for fixin bodywork.

man im glad i live in texas
justa good ole boy, never meanin no harm...

oh hick?
Old 01-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

pm Juan he had a lot of rust he took care of in his car.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by vwink182
...makin' his way, the only way he knows how; that's just a little bit more than the law will allow...
Old 01-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not the Dukes of Hazard reference.....anything but that...

Yep, rust is a bad one. Cosmetic is one thing, but when it gets to be structural, then I'd let a professional do it. Like everyone says, you've got to get it all, or it will just come back. That's why lots of people call it cancer..
Old 01-29-2004, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by -shock211-
i have an incredible inhibitor(CRC 400) but that only provides piece of mind to me. i would prefer to eliminate the problem.
I have the same problem with rust - but what you can do? - salt and humidity...

I fix maxima every year (in September - October) myself. Next year rust is back again.
Fiberglass patches ... rust inhibitor ... dremel tool ... over-rust paint ...etc.

I wouldn't weld anything - that's the best spot for rust to start over and waste of money.

BTW, how often do you wash your car? Do you leave it in a heated garage (which is not good)? Ask yourself this sort of questions as well.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:24 PM

rust is cancer. cut it out and hope you got it all and patch up the holes with some band aids. no shop wants to get into 12 yr old rust buckets( no offense, i speak about myself as well) just do the best you can to not let water in and live with it
Old 01-30-2004, 04:28 AM

thanx people,
i'm not sure what to do....
i'm getting a free engine to be rebuilt(by myself) this coming summer. i just can't see letting the car go when i have so much left to do to it. its not like i have a tonne of money, but i can get enough to bring it back to very good condition(body wise).
i've dealt with rusting issues on past cars but this is different seeing as the maxima is the first car that i've purchased myself, it's in my name, i pay the insurance and i do all the repairs and modding myself. i don't think i can settle with just patching up the problems.
luckily a friend of mine purchased a welder this past year and maybe him and i can get some metal, do some cutting and weld in some new panels.
or i'll bite the bullet and let the professionals handle it.
this is a tough decision for me. i still have lots of time to think about things seeing as winter isn't nearly over yet.

thanx again ppl...
Old 01-30-2004, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by vwink182

oh hick?

im not a hick, i moved from england to texas, but duct tape and bondo is a feature on a lot of my cars, adds character
Old 01-30-2004, 12:24 PM

you should get a whole maxima body made of fg of cf, then rust wouldnt be a problem. duuuuh