3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New clutch slipping.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 04:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New clutch slipping.

I recently had the clutch and master cylinder replaced on my '93 Maxima, 173,000 miles. It felt good at first but as I kept driving the clutch would engage higher and higher on the pedal. Within a few miles it would start slipping to the point it would not engage at all. The next morning it was OK again for the first few miles but would then slip again.
I returned it to my mechanic and he "made some adjustments and bled the system twice". When that didn't help he said the clutch was defective and replaced it again. It still slips. My next guess is the master cylinder is defective but I really don't know and neither does the mechanic (and I use the term loosely). Is there anything else that can cause this. I know the line was not changed though he claims he changed the slave.
I would appreciate any info on this condition so I can pass it on to the mechanic when I return it for the 4th time.
Thanks,

Johng24
Old 02-16-2004, 07:19 AM
1993 SE

Originally Posted by johng24
I recently had the clutch and master cylinder replaced on my '93 Maxima, 173,000 miles. It felt good at first but as I kept driving the clutch would engage higher and higher on the pedal. Within a few miles it would start slipping to the point it would not engage at all. The next morning it was OK again for the first few miles but would then slip again.
I returned it to my mechanic and he "made some adjustments and bled the system twice". When that didn't help he said the clutch was defective and replaced it again. It still slips. My next guess is the master cylinder is defective but I really don't know and neither does the mechanic (and I use the term loosely). Is there anything else that can cause this. I know the line was not changed though he claims he changed the slave.
I would appreciate any info on this condition so I can pass it on to the mechanic when I return it for the 4th time.
Thanks,

Johng24
Did you break in the new clutch slowly for about 800 miles first?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sounds almost as if the clutch system isn't releasing. since the clutch keeps releasing higher and higher on the pedal maybe their is still pressure being kept in the line and not be relieved. you might check you master cylinder and make sure when you let the clutch pedal come back up that it is relieving pressure. you can find a friend and have them watch the slave cylinder move while you press the pedal and if after pressing it a few times the slave cyilnder isn't returning back to its normal position then you might have a problem in the slave cylinder or the master cylinder. good luck!
Old 02-16-2004, 11:47 AM

check the pedal adjustment inside the car, there is a plunger type thing that the pedal pushes and that pumps the master cylinder, this has an adjuster bolt on it and if its not adjusted right it wont engage the clutch

one time i left this bolt a little loose and the clutch engagement height slowly crept up until it wouldnt engage fully and would slip while i was driving, jus like you were describing
Old 02-16-2004, 12:44 PM

I had the same problem when i replaced my master cylinder. The rod was too long and was hittin the back of the pedal. SO i hack sawed part of it off and i rebled the system, now its good. Maybe all you have to do is re bleed yours. Just carry a 10mm with you and when it pumps up just release the pressure thru the bleed screw on the slave cylinder till u can fix it.