3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

sunroofs, shades, and steering racks

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sunroofs, shades, and steering racks

Hey guys, first let me start by saying that I have read all of the "newbie" stuff, and searched (as best as I could without the search ability) for my topics, but can't quite find any helping threads. I'm a new MAX owner (well, '89) who bought this car for commuting purposes, but I can't help but want to LEARN how to fix it up a bit. Here are some of the the things revealed by Nissan during a pre-purchase inspection:

1. Steering rack is leaking and boot broken--(is this major, or can I repair it myself?)

2. Outer tie-rod ends and control arm bushings worn out--(same question)

3. Sunroof is a bit rusted on the track, won't slide back past 6"--how can I free it up, or lube the track...and more importantly, where can I get a replacement in-roof sunshade? I had to take out the original one that was broken and warped, but have yet to find the part.

Other than these things, the car drives very well. Most problems seem to be steering related (PS belt, etc.)

Thanks for any help you can offer. If you can recommend any How-to book on these cars, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:10 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by 89BeeterGXE
Hey guys, first let me start by saying that I have read all of the "newbie" stuff, and searched (as best as I could without the search ability) for my topics, but can't quite find any helping threads. I'm a new MAX owner (well, '89) who bought this car for commuting purposes, but I can't help but want to LEARN how to fix it up a bit. Here are some of the the things revealed by Nissan during a pre-purchase inspection:

1. Steering rack is leaking and boot broken--(is this major, or can I repair it myself?)

2. Outer tie-rod ends and control arm bushings worn out--(same question)

Thanks for any help you can offer. If you can recommend any How-to book on these cars, I'd greatly appreciat it.
Get an FSM as close to a how to book as you're gonna get.
Replace the rack if it's leaking, the boot is there to keep out dust, not to keep fluid in.
Look harder for the control arm info we had it within the last day or so, a whole nice thread too.
I sell the above mentioned parts (Rack, Rack boots, Outer tie rods, control arms, Control arm bushings) and WAY too much more
Old 02-23-2004, 06:39 PM

When your a new guy all these abreviation are a pain in the....FSM= Factory Service Manual. At least thats what I can figure. Not many of us like to type much or spell. Some of these post are like riddles. Just trying to help the new guy, so don't go gettin' up in arms at me!!!

The best thing for you to do with your sunroof is to remove the whole assembly from the car. This will allow you to disassemble the whole roof. If you are up to it I can tell you what to do. If not take it to a sunroof dealer.

You might be able to buy a new shade from Nissan. I have never tried. I have always recovered them. You have to take assembly out to change this out right. If not you will damage it shoving it in.