3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Removing Door Moldings

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 03:45 AM

Removing Door Moldings

What's the best way to go about doing this? Any tips/tricks? What's the best way to remove the glue? Thanks...
Old 02-24-2004, 05:05 AM

i would say the best thing is to use a blow dryer to first heat up the molding, and then it will peel right off. the glue thats left over is a pain to get off. i think most people used the blow dryer to heat up the glue and then used something like goo gone or something to have at it. its not easy, i'll tell you that much.
i initially tryed my front driver door. got the molding off very quickly, and then got to the glue. i tried many different methods, but none of them seemed to work very well/quickly as i hoped. needless to say, i still have the moldings on my car.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:30 AM

How did shavedmax get his glue off? Somebody get Him in here!
Old 02-24-2004, 12:12 PM

I did my by hand.(Or should I say thumb) It took forever. Seriously, it took a couple of days, because my thumbs really started hurting.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:53 PM

Do I have to worry about ripping the paint off when removing the glue, or will it just slide off the car?
Old 03-09-2004, 05:16 AM

Once upon a time I had a mustang(yeah yeah I know) The heat got it and the molding 'slid off'.

Invest in a good heat gun, you'll need it later down the road; ie Tinting, Vynil, Removing your neighbors moldings(Don't get caught).
Old 03-09-2004, 10:54 AM

Plastic razor blades work well for scarpping the residue off. Most body shop supply places have them.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

bunch of opinions here but the easiest way is use a rubber wheel on a drill. Its like a giant erraser and does a good and fast job. You can buy one here

or they have another one here.

but it would probably be easier to go to a shop and have them remove it for 10-20 on the side...shouldnt take long with that tool.

believe me you will pay that much or close to it for the chemicals and such to do it. I just sanded mine off since I was painting the car anyway .
Old 03-09-2004, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66

believe me you will pay that much or close to it for the chemicals and such to do it. I just sanded mine off since I was painting the car anyway .
Is it painted yet? It should be
Old 03-09-2004, 01:27 PM

Hey don't pressure him. He is an artist and perfection takes time.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by vwink182
Is it painted yet? It should be

I have decided that it will never get painted...it just got warm enough for me to start back on it but instead I am working on the 92GXE (hopefully gonna paint next weekend) so I can sell it.

I will be working on the SE soon and if money allows it will be finished by summer or at least by the end. There really isnt that much left to do...its just finding time and money to buy materials.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:35 PM

Man... I always though that they were bracketed on or something...
Old 03-09-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin
Man... I always though that they were bracketed on or something...
What are you talking about, the side moldings?
Old 03-09-2004, 05:00 PM

yeah... I thought they were bracketed on... I never saw a car with a missing side molding, so I came to that conclusion... And I took my moldings off just like 5mins ago, and yeah... double sided tape... heh
Old 03-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

yeah... I thought they were bracketed on... I never saw a car with a missing side molding, so I came to that conclusion... And I took my moldings off just like 5mins ago, and yeah... double sided tape... heh
LOL you must not look at too many car pics on this board then. A lot of people have them off...I mean a lot. It all started with James...Or Chris one...cant remember...but think it was James.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:32 AM

i used the wheel on my set of doors on the car now and on the doors onthe 93. if jason would just send me a link to the pictures of the 93 i would show you, but i've had him too busy working on my house to do anything else. my original doors were removed witha razor blade, since i was painting it it wasnt a big deal, but definately use the eraser wheel instead.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:32 AM

MMMM. Might do that to my Maxy before i get it painted...
Old 03-11-2004, 07:37 AM

1) I am still in the process of removing the double sided tape but here's what I've done (and plan to do)... Get a heat gun and heat a couple inches at a time, then with a dull object that won't scratch paint off (like a paint stir stick) and use that to get the tape off instead of your fingers. Then (which I have yet to do) get goo gone for the rest of the crap.
2) Seyath - I remember a similar thread on this before, it would be wise to remove them before having them painted, as one guy didn't and the painters just removed the side moldings and painted right over the double sided tape, and put the modlings back on top of it - suffice to say when he wanted to get rid of his side moldings he couldn't because he had to remove the new paint in order to get rid of the double sided tape underneath it.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:33 AM

if you have acces to a compressor the eraser is alot quicker (1/4 the time)
Old 03-11-2004, 11:07 AM

how come no one has filled in the indents left on the doors after the molding is taken off?? i'm in the process of doing this to the doors on my parts car...the guy i got the car from already started to fill in the indents so i figured i might as well finish it and see if it looks good
Old 03-11-2004, 11:21 AM

It would probably look better filled in, may resemble the G35 or other similar doors < edit, i thought this was going to make a "shocked" expression.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Can I put it on a regular drill?
Old 03-11-2004, 11:43 AM

HEY GUYS!... I'm getting one from my school! yes!. The auto body teacher said that he had some, so I am buying it from him... No shipping for me! haha. Yeah... I am wondering the same thing as 94M@X. If not, I can always bring my car in after school.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by torontomaxima
It would probably look better filled in, may resemble the G35 or other similar doors < edit, i thought this was going to make a "shocked" expression.
im attempting to shave the door handles too...the only thing about filling in the indent is that on each fender there is a slight angle that follows where the molding goes...and i dont know i should attempt to put that angle in the doors or just make the doors flat
Old 03-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by white90se
how come no one has filled in the indents left on the doors after the molding is taken off?? i'm in the process of doing this to the doors on my parts car...the guy i got the car from already started to fill in the indents so i figured i might as well finish it and see if it looks good

There are a few people that have done this. To me it doesnt look as good. If done right and you leave the faint line (you can see it just before and after the molding) it looks OK. If not it ruins the side view of the car IMO. The lines kinda break up the side view and make it look better. Hard to explain but I know several agree with me on this.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:52 PM

There are a few people that have done this. To me it doesnt look as good. If done right and you leave the faint line (you can see it just before and after the molding) it looks OK. If not it ruins the side view of the car IMO. The lines kinda break up the side view and make it look better. Hard to explain but I know several agree with me on this.
is this visible on the fenders too...its kind of like a faint < shape?? dont really remember it on the doors..havent seen my max in a while cause its in pieces and im at school
Old 03-11-2004, 04:18 PM

Are there any special instructions that I need, like heat up the glue and use the vinyl eraser?...
Old 03-11-2004, 07:19 PM

I probably wouldn't take my molding off becasue it protects my doors from being dented/scratched/damaged when people open their doors into mine(Which happen frequently) but I do agree that it looks better with lines from the molding left unfilled because if you look at the bottom line of molding it is started on the bumper and runs back across the doors and then is continued on after the rear wheel well and terminates on the rear bumper (take a look at awsm66's sig pic)... If you were to fill the hole from the moldings then the lines that start on the front bumper and end in the back wouldn't make sense... I think it might make the car look taller(or higher off the ground) and would throw off some of the proportions If you want to fill it in then it might look better if you also smoothed out the lines infront of the front wheel well and behind the rear wheel well... But it's your car so do what ever you want.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:51 PM

the wheel should work on a regular drill, it just needs to have enough torque, no cordless drills. there is a guy from the org that had a red 3rd gen that allegedly was the first to shave the side moldings. like awsm66 said, it doesnt look right. to me it makes the car look too bubbly, dont get me wrong, it can look good, but not my taste.

here's one thats nice

you can see more of it here
Old 03-12-2004, 02:59 AM

I like the side indicator lights...
Old 03-12-2004, 07:16 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by white90se
is this visible on the fenders too...its kind of like a faint < shape?? dont really remember it on the doors..havent seen my max in a while cause its in pieces and im at school

yes it is and that is what I am talking about. If you look just before the molding on the door you will see the line (probably about middle of the molding).

each one of us have our own likes and dis-likes. I just dont like it without the indentions (dont like it on that blue car either)...some do...heck some dont even like it without the moldings. I have seen one pic where the guy left the line in but the rest of the car was so awful to me (I think) that it didnt matter anyway LOL. .

Its all about what you like.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:00 AM

yes it is and that is what I am talking about. If you look just before the molding on the door you will see the line (probably about middle of the molding).

each one of us have our own likes and dis-likes. I just dont like it without the indentions (dont like it on that blue car either)...some do...heck some dont even like it without the moldings. I have seen one pic where the guy left the line in but the rest of the car was so awful to me (I think) that it didnt matter anyway LOL. .

Its all about what you like.
im just doin it to see if it looks good...it was already started on my parts car...so it will give me somethin to do when im home on weekends and there is nothin to do on my max...and i want to start gettin into body work and customization of cars so i figured this would be a good start...i dont even know if i like it yet...its just somethin to keep me busy and if it ends up looking good then i will use the doors on my car
Old 03-13-2004, 07:21 PM

Yeah, so I did it. but what I don't like is now theres like dried paint line across my door. it sucks... I dont know how to get rid of it.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:25 AM

Yeah, so I did it. but what I don't like is now theres like dried paint line across my door. it sucks... I dont know how to get rid of it.
if it's because they painted over the moldings then there's nothing you can do about it.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:08 PM

Another thing... There are rubber scuffs on my door now... whats the best way to remove it?...

Buff?