3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

PepBoys Tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 12:53 AM

PepBoys Tools

I was just wondering if anyone bought the torque wrench from Pep Boys that is impossible to set to any actual number??

I bought one of these a few months ago when I was replacing an injector.. It was the first time I had ever used a torque wrench and I thought, "I've got to be doing something wrong here..." I brought it to the store and of course the guy there assumed I was retarded, "look, it's not that hard you just turn the handle..." "Ok, I know, try setting it.." And of course a guy in line says "You just turn the handle, whey!" "I know, try setting it..." "All you do is turn this handle and then lock this screw..." "Just try to set it to 62 lb ft...!"

This went on for a few more minutes...

Anyway, that thing was so freakin' ridiculous, the handle only went up to '9' (there was no '0' or 10 on it) and it moved up the graduated scale so that turning it to 9 brings it in between 50 and 60 lbft (sme problem on the newton scale...) It was just like the f'n spinal tap amp only more f'n useless! Despite this, the guy at pep boys kept arguing that it was working changing his explanation of how it was working 3 times...

I think it's called 'pep-boys' because they employ crack-heads and their tools are designed by people who buy excessive amounts of cold medicine and drain cleaner...!
Old 03-06-2004, 08:34 AM
1992 Maxima SE

its gotta be expected, so many things including car parts are just so cheap**** that i get from pepboys, autozone, advanced

Dad almost always buys tools from Sears, I'd recommend you do the same
Old 03-06-2004, 09:43 AM

get a snap-on one on ebay - they are not so expensive here
Old 03-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=239

best CLICKER TORQUE WRENCH 10$ can buy and proboly the most valueble tool i have

and its very accurate, me and a friend put it up to the test useing his 200$ MAC tools torque wrench and they booth clicked at the same torque needless to say he was upset that he had spent so much
Old 03-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by subs1000w

best CLICKER TORQUE WRENCH 10$ can buy and proboly the most valueble tool i have

and its very accurate, me and a friend put it up to the test useing his 200$ MAC tools torque wrench and they booth clicked at the same torque needless to say he was upset that he had spent so much
I haven't seen that one before. Dangit I've got this huge order to place with them hehehehe.

Hell I didn't even use a torque wrench rebuilding the mustang's engine, lol. (and no, I am not having any problems with it )
Old 03-06-2004, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w

That's the one I bought (except I got the the 3/8 in drive instead). It actually looks / works pretty well. Some of the stuff at harbor freight (there's a store near my house) is so cheap I'm tempted to buy it even if does break (I mean how wrong can you go speding $10 on an angle grinder? ((unless it cuts your hand off -- WHAT'S THAT GONNA COST YOU??)

I was thinking of buying a welder there, but that seems like a big investment to put into a fairly complex gray-market tool and the low duty cycle also worries me..
Old 03-07-2004, 03:08 PM

i work at pep boys and i use that torque wrench all the time....but i never had to set it to an uneven number
Old 03-07-2004, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by boosted3rdgen
i work at pep boys and i use that torque wrench all the time....but i never had to set it to an uneven number
I should point out that I was of course joking with my earlier comments.. Most of the people at pep boys are knowlegable, friendly (and one girl who works there is kind of hot.) That wrench is a P.O.C. though, and it says on the front '1 ftlb. incremental settings' AND the instructions give an example of setting the wrench to 62 lb ft. in a completly nonesense way.

BTW - subs1000w thanks for your suggestion to take the Y-pipe off to get to the support bearing on my CV - axle job, that was huge.

Z

(Well the same displacement anyway..)