3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd or 4th generation, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 06:46 AM

3rd or 4th generation, that is the question

I have a 92 se 5spd that I really enjoy. I have been contemplating moving up to a 99 SE-L. I have never driven or been in a 4th gen max. My question is........Has anyone owned both or can people tell me what the major differences are? I know its a lateral move horsepower wise, but what about handling, quality, maintenance issues? Thanks and enjoy your Sunday
Old 03-07-2004, 06:58 AM
Ford Only.

I think I might be the right guy here. I dont have time to type a book, but I will point out the most noticeable differences. FIRST DONT GET RID OF THE 92 SE 5-speed, they are becoming more and more rare and they are better cars. Only get a 99 if you want a second good daily driver and can get it for VERY cheap.

1. Lack of top end on the 95-99, my VE screams to redline, while with the VQ it seems to DIE VERY VERY early and ****es me off.

2. Suspension is not as good as the 92. Once you start modding the suspensions you will notice a big difference. Even though the 97-99s have more mods available, they are mostly ricer mods. But in the suspension department I think the 89-94s have more available due to our good friend Matt.

3. Interior sucks in the 95-99. The plastic looks like the plastic used in domestic cars, very flat and crappy. If your passenger rests their leg on the door it will squeek over bumps, lots of little creeks and squeeks.

4. The ebrake is in a BAD spot, your leg rests right against it and when I first got the car it ****ed me off cause it was sort of in my shifting path.

5. The brakes are supposed to be the same as the 89-94 but they dont seem to work as good.

I can go on and on, but these are just the difference between the 92 and 99 I have pointed out that I can think of early in this morning. I still love my 97 and it is a great car, I am sure if I were comparing it to another car (besides a Maxima) it would be MUCH better. I plan on keeping it cause my cars are like brothers. I am going to finish modding the living crap out of my 92 cause I like it more and think it has more potential. Then when I am done I am going to attack the top end problem of the 97.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Way out West

the only two real benefits I can see are:

1) A 99 will probably have less miles

2) You can more readily get serious speed components for the VQ (supercharger, turbo, etc.)

Other than that, I say stick with the VE 5-speed. There are some guys that have turbo'd their VEs, but it has to be totally custom fabricated. All of that kind of stuff is all about the money you want to put in.

If you are talking about replacing a basically stock VE with a basically stock 4th gen, I wouldn't do it.

I have owned two 92 SE 5-speeds and a few times I tried to bring myself to buy a 4th gen -- I just couldn't do it. I test drove a 4th gen (my step mom even bought one because she liked my VE so much) and I just don't like them as well as the 3rd gen.

This is just my opinion, but hey, you asked for it!

Either way, you are driving a Maxima and that is a good thing.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:19 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

ve 5speed no questions asked
Old 03-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when i get another max, it will be the VE 5spd. i have a modded VG 5spd and i love it. 4th gen is not seriously on my mind. i have driven it. is squishy. modded, it can be tightened up, yes, but you've got that minivan rear suspension and skimpy interior.

first thing i noticed, seriously, is the lame tilt wheel. the 3rd gen's travels nicely and far; you can dial it in. the 4th gen's tilt is lame, barely moves anywhere. the list goes on. i do like how the 4th gen SE looks, though. nice exterior. i do appreciate them. but cannot own one. it is 3rd or 5th gen for me.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:50 PM

It's the end of the line for my 3rd gen. Last week the driver's seat broke and doesnt stay up anymore with out crap behind it holding it up, and no, it isn't fixable, a piece of the seat frame near the adjuster fatigued and broke through. And when your car hits age 16, all kinds of **** hits the fan. As of now she needs more work than she's worth (tranny work on an ALREADY rebuilt tranny, shocks,struts, springs, brake pad resurfacing,sending unit for the water temperature sensor) and that's the last straw all the stuff that hasn't already been replaced is self destructing. Around here there are absolutely ZERO and i mean ZERO VE 5spds, so I'm out of luck. All the people around here bought automatics. And at this point, i don't care what gen it is, it'll be a maxima. Probably a 4th gen 5spd since that's in my price range. And the top end problem, oh believe me, I'll fix it. MEVI, CAI, ECU for starters. I will miss my 3rd gen.

p.s. my car has never been neglected, always well taken care of.she's just getting old (it is a first year production 3rd gen for crying out loud )
Old 03-07-2004, 02:00 PM

The 92 SE five speed is a great car. My family has a 94 and 99 GXE automatics, so I can't give a SE five speed perspective. The vq is a great engine, quiet, powerful, low maintance. Though it sounds like the VE has more top rpm performance. The VE has a LSD, which only the I30 Touring had in 4th gens. The door panels are a large piece of plastic in the 4th gen, and probably don't seem as expensive as the 3rd gens. Both seem pretty roomy. The 3rd gen rides better on rough pavement. I like both dash designs, the 4th gen has the radio closer to the driver and passenger. 4th gen has cup holders which are nice, and may be the reason the parking brake is on the left side of the console. 4th gen has upgraded safety features. Overall the 3rd gen is a great car with lots of advanced features, great material quality. The 4th gen is also great, but some areas where simplified to lower costs, and allow a standard vq. The big difference is the 99 being newer, and having more safety features.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by bonzelite
when i get another max, it will be the VE 5spd. i have a modded VG 5spd and i love it. 4th gen is not seriously on my mind. i have driven it. is squishy. modded, it can be tightened up, yes, but you've got that minivan rear suspension and skimpy interior.

first thing i noticed, seriously, is the lame tilt wheel. the 3rd gen's travels nicely and far; you can dial it in. the 4th gen's tilt is lame, barely moves anywhere. the list goes on. i do like how the 4th gen SE looks, though. nice exterior. i do appreciate them. but cannot own one. it is 3rd or 5th gen for me.
My car has airbags, and the tilt is basically non-existant. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:12 PM

Thanks guys for the feedback, especially dmontz, that is the info I was looking for. Redmax.....the only thing I would change about my car is making it the same color as yours.