3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Stalling frustrations? Check MAF

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 01:53 PM
erinscot

Well, the mechanics finally found the problem. The computer actually spit out a code for the MAF. If you are experiencing the following problems, definitely have the MAF sensor checked out.

da whites wrote...
I have a 93 GXE automatic with no mods(just the family car). I love this car and have done all the work on it. It has 150,000 miles and all of a sudden began to stall all the time. Not sputter like bad gas, fuel pump problems or fuel filter stuff but just quit,as if you pulled a plug. It does it sporatically and will start right back up. All the auxiliary lights, blower and electrical parts work but the engine quits. I tried the O2 sensor, plugs, plug wires but nothing. I broke down and took it to the nissan dealer but they could not find anything. The diagnostic did not show anything. I have had it back 4 times and through it all replaced the ignition coil, distributor, eng cont relay, had the injectors cleaned and the diagnostic test. IT STILL IS STALLING. The gas mileage is down but it runs like a champ. There is no difference in driving performance. It will cut out at any rpm, accelerating or decelerating. The nissan dealer is beginning to fish for ideas. I am looking for a place to start looking before they have me replace the engine piece by piece.

erinscot wrote....
Well, I also have a 93 GXE, with what seems to be the exact same problem. We thought it was related to humidity, but it also occurs on dry days. My mechanic even went so far as to pressure-spray water all over and around the engine, but it would not stall. Mechanics have supposedly ruled out ignition and fuel problems. One post suggested it could be the catalytic converter. As the RPM's do not seem to be limited and the problem is quite sporadic (sometimes several times in a half hour, other times we can drive for 200 miles without a problem), I don't know if the converter is the problem.

Old 03-16-2001, 03:44 PM

there is a service bulletin out on the MAF

It said that the connector may be making poor contact.
So if you remove the connector you can insert a nail or somthing on the female side, on top and squeeze it down a bit. So that it will then squeeze down more on the female side when you reconnect the connector.