3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Sick of Max

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2001, 02:08 PM

Im thinking about selling my max. i cant stand the problems im having. i had a blown tokico, so it was making a big bang noise when i took sharp corners or hit bumps. so i brought it back and got 2 new front struts for free under warrenty. and now its starting to do the same thing all over again. i need a new fuel injector also. anybody know the problem with my struts. it has to be something different cause they both wouldnt go that quick, you know. these cars are too damn heavy. respond with your thoughts on it, lata.
Old 03-16-2001, 04:47 PM

dude, i have no idea why that would be happening to your struts. ive had mine for about 8months now and they are fine. this would have nothing to do with wearing out, but i know tokiko doesnt want you to cut the bump stops at all. are the struts just getting really soft or are they actually leaking?
Old 03-16-2001, 07:10 PM

I hear ya on those Tokicos

I've had my Tokicos for less than a year, and I can definetly tell that they're not behaving even remotely near their levels when they were only a few months old. It's not as if my area is pot-hole filled either. Anyway, the car just seems to ride funny and the tires don't hold the road well when I take a corner that isn't completely smooth.

About keeping your Maxima. I guess it all comes down to how much the car means to you (intrisnicly). If you absolutely adore the car and feel that it serves more than just getting from Point A to B, I think you should consider fixing it up. Of course, if you've got the funds and think you deserve a newer, more powerful ride, by all means - do what you think is best.

In its prime, the third gen was definetly a class-leading automobile. It still boggles my mind how much better a 89 Maxima is over a early 90's Accord or Camry. Of course, most cars have caught up to the performance levels of your Max, and your ride's probably getting old. Choosing to fix your car rather than getting a new one is just an indication of how much you like your Max. In an equal value comparison, I think your Max with new shocks and injectors is a lot better than what you could get if you didn't do the repairs, sold the Max, and spent the cash on another car.
Old 03-16-2001, 10:24 PM
TurboMax1

Originally posted by UndecidedMax
Im thinking about selling my max. i cant stand the problems im having. i had a blown tokico, so it was making a big bang noise when i took sharp corners or hit bumps. so i brought it back and got 2 new front struts for free under warrenty. and now its starting to do the same thing all over again. i need a new fuel injector also. anybody know the problem with my struts. it has to be something different cause they both wouldnt go that quick, you know. these cars are too damn heavy. respond with your thoughts on it, lata.

I've had my Tokico's for 5 years and have had no probs.... Even making the h.p. my car is....

Old 03-17-2001, 06:09 AM

Price?

How much are you looking for if you sell it? Just curious. What year is it and does it have the VE engine?

I had a 93 SE and I droped $300 replacing one fuel injector that froze open. The stupid thing was spraying full blast into the cylinder no matter what speed I was going. It was, needless to say, flooding the cylinder and then it would misfire. The repair guy said that it's not at all uncommon among the VE engines. Anyway, I have a 93 GXE now and I must say, I'm VE sick!!! I want one of those bastards under my hood again!
Old 03-17-2001, 06:14 PM

Re: Price?

Originally posted by KCMax
How much are you looking for if you sell it? Just curious. What year is it and does it have the VE engine?
Considering that it's a 90 SE, I doubt it has a VE unless it had some serious work done.
Old 03-18-2001, 11:32 AM
KraZel

The Max has held its own these past three years for me but i agree It may be time to get rid of my baby...I have had 2 many repairs done