3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Strange engine problem on 92 SE, need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 03:48 PM
skatman

Hey peeps.
My friend has a 92 SE 5-speed with approximately 130k miles on the clock.
The problem, which surfaced a few months ago (during a cold MN winter), is that the engine would loose all power on the street for a few seconds or less. No power at all - like you suddenly just turn off the ignition and then it comes back right up and continues rolling.
No fault codes, the engine light does not come on, and the car runs fantastic otherwise. It has been serviced very well in its lifetime and there is no sign of VTC problem yet. No mods except for front strut tower brace and stereo system.

Dealer replaced the coil packs (I guess a common thing for these cars) but that didn't help. A very good independent shop in MN is currently looking into the problem together with some engineers from Nissan. Since the problem is very sporadic and goes away in a matter of seconds, one can't really pull over and check things. All systems check out ok when the car is running normally.
They're going to put a real-time data collection system so that the next time it happens (not a safe things, BTW) they'll be able to check the recorded data.

Has anybody else encontered this problem?? Any solutions or common trouble spots?? I'm more inclined to think this is a intemittent relay or maybe a crack in the ECU PCB.

Thanks much.
Skatman

PS: I'm from the Acura Legend community and we love your cars.

Old 03-18-2001, 06:37 PM

I think its an engine relay

there may have been a technical service bulletin out on this. i'm not sure which engine relay it was .

but

you can test this very simply by swapppppping relays of the same color (blue for blue or green for green)
then test drive.
then replace relay.
Old 03-18-2001, 07:02 PM

intermittent stalling

I've got a 1993 SE w/ 128k. I began experiencing the same problem you are describing, and it often manifested itself upon acceleration, and in any gear. I too went the dealer route and they suspected bad ignition coils. I replaced all six myself last weekend, and just this weekend replaced all my plugs and installed a new air filter (not for this problem, just because). So far, after about 400 miles after the coil replacement and 80 miles after the plugs, the miss hasn't resurfaced.

I guess there are about 100 or more different things that can cause a miss; but with the problem you describe, I'm surprised the coils didn't take care of the problem. I learned that was the problem with others that had the same type of problem. Beyond that, I don't know what it could be. I hope I don't have to begin looking.

I hope this information helps in some way, at least to let your buddy know that this is not just something with his. If he learns of some other problem, I'd like to know about it. Thanks, and good luck.