3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Pics of headlight conversion up

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 03:00 AM

Pics of headlight conversion up

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/397303
Old 03-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very nice. Those covers really make it look good.
Kind of strange, when I did it to another maxima I didn't have to do jack to the radiator support.

Also for your cardomain, you might want to make the text blue or change the back ground or something, because its hard to read with out highlighting the text.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:34 AM

Hey

Looks nice....where did you get the covers at?

and great Job!
Old 03-24-2004, 05:58 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Looks good.

edit: Also let me know when you are ready for me to tint your corners to look real close to the UKs. I dont use spray tint so it will not fade...I use actual tinted automotive clear. I am supposed to be trying something else too but my buddy keeps forgetting to get a price for me.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:03 AM

looks nice man and very clean job. where did u get the covers???
Old 03-24-2004, 08:00 AM

I don't understand how this headlight cover thing works. The BMW lights have no curve to them, so people are taking off the cover and replacing it with covers from GTS or whatever, but doesn't that leave a gap? And wouldn't a gap in the headlights kind of be a problem with moisture and stuff? I just don't want to have a ghetto-rigged maxima with neat looking headlights on the outside, but a chop-job underneath that might fall apart or let a bunch of moisture into the light. Let me know if there is any way to fix this so that I can convince myself to do the conversion. Thanks, BTW awsm66, how much will you charge me to tint the corner lights? I am thinking about doing the conversion, but I don't like the looks of it without either the UK's or the tinted corners. If I chose to get clears and get them tinted, could I have them sent to you straight from E-bay or wherever? Just trying to think this one through.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:01 AM

Thanks everyone. All the cutting done on the inside was my dad's idea. We read the write-up and really couldn't figure out how you could dent in any of that. The cutting took a lot more time, but the fit is much cleaner and we can get to the bulbs easier. The lights and the headlight covers were purchased on ebay for very cheap. The lights were only $40 (no bulbs or brackets, and the lenses were all foggy and gross) and the GTS headlight covers I found on accident one day while looking through this one seller's auctions. $25! As opposed to like $40 on some other sites. the bulbs were probably the most expensive thing (I think it was like $60 to buy 4 xenons). Yep.

Oh, and awsm, I've been wondering: are you the one who pioneered the headlight cover conversion?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:24 AM

About the moisture problem, that was a huge concern for me at first, but once I saw the pics of awsm66's Max I was sold. I've seen other Maxs with angel eyes and junk, but when ever I saw that gap between the hood and the lights and that funkiness goin' on where the lights met the grille it really bothered me, and I think it'd probably bug me even more if they were on my car. But knowing that I was intent on doing the headlight covers to my lights made it much easier to shop for them. I wasn't worried about how clear the lenses were or if they were scratched or not because I wasn't going to use them anyway. We did try our best to seal them though. Not sure if this is what we were supposed to do or not, but we really only cut off the face of the lense. All the edges were lined with some rubber hose with the exception of the edge nearest the grille, because that kinda looked weird. When we fit the new lenses over, we found that the rubber hose made a near perfect seal on the top, but never made contact with the lense on the side. Oh well. Yeah, I'm still worried about what will happen when water inevitably gets in. I haven't washed my car in over a week, which is very hard for me to do. (washing is our together time)
Old 03-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Maxima_Mike
Oh, and awsm, I've been wondering: are you the one who pioneered the headlight cover conversion?
I did the cut version like you used (I think...obviously there are other people with Maximas that we dont know about that may have done it first).

Brandon90GXE did the covers first but used the whole cover that wraped around. I didnt like how that stuck out when I tried it and in forcing it to fit I cracked the edge. Well then I decided to cut it off and just use the "headlight" lens part (since I cracked it past there anyway) and the rest is history LOL.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:40 AM

I see. I must say that you did an excellent job with yours. Definitely still the best looking conversion I've seen on the net.

How much would you charge for the tinting? Because I've been wanting to get it done ever since that day after I finished my conversion. I could get them off and shipped as soon as possible (if I can afford it right now, that is).
Old 03-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Thanks,

rosamax...You can be creative and fiberglass the lens in. I was planning on doing that eventually but just never got around to it. I havent had a problem (I dont drive much though). Several others have done the mod with minimal problems on daily drivers. It may fog up every now and then but I dont think its a problem.

rosamax & Maxima_Mike I was trying to find my post with pics of my work but I cant find it in my favorites and I dont have the ability to search either.

I charge $40 including shipping back to you. They are not an exact match to the UKs but they are pretty close...a lot closer than you will get any other way. I know the price sounds high but clear coat is not cheap and neither is the mixing paint I use.

After I get them and tint them I will send a pic and if you are satisfied with the look then you can send me the money (paypal is best) and I will send them out.

If you want to get new ones and ship them straight to me that is fine or you can send your existing ones to me...whatever you want.

I can turn them around in a day or 2.

here are a couple of pics I took of the stock corners I did. I didnt tint the amber part...cant remember my resoning right now why though LOL.

Here is a pic of the factory untinted light with the UK corner on the car:

Here is a pic of the factory untinted light with the tinted light on the car:

Here is a side by side of the tined corner and UK corner:

I have experamented a little more and got a little more black in the color to get them a little closer. Here is a pic of that (with a tinted headlight):

if you guys are interested just email me. Click my name in my sig (above in my first post)
Old 03-24-2004, 12:33 PM

They look good. I'm glad you looked at this post because I saw those pics before and was pretty impressed. How durable is the paint on the corners? Is it going to wear off anytime soon? How much would you charge to do the bumper lights as well? I just really like the looks of the backend of the max because everything is tinted, and I think all of the reflectors and lights should be tinted if you want it to look right. Let me know how much you would charge for the whole package--2 corners, 2 bumper lights-with shipping included and I will get back to you when I'm ready to do the conversion. I just want to get my car to run right before I spend a whole lot on mods.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:55 PM

I have the covers on my headlights and they're only sealed on the top. Occasionally moisture will get in there and they do get a little dirty after a while. But it's very easy to clean so it's not a problem. Lots of pics on my page http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/craigbrace

I've seen awsm66's tinted corners in person and they look very close to the actual UK corners and would look great with the E36 conversion.

Also, I told brandon about the idea for the covers a long time ago but he did it before I got around to it.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:25 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by rosamax
They look good. I'm glad you looked at this post because I saw those pics before and was pretty impressed. How durable is the paint on the corners? Is it going to wear off anytime soon? How much would you charge to do the bumper lights as well? I just really like the looks of the backend of the max because everything is tinted, and I think all of the reflectors and lights should be tinted if you want it to look right. Let me know how much you would charge for the whole package--2 corners, 2 bumper lights-with shipping included and I will get back to you when I'm ready to do the conversion. I just want to get my car to run right before I spend a whole lot on mods.
I use actual clearcoat sprayed with a paint gun so its just as durable as your paint.

let me think about pricing because those lights arent too big...shouldnt be much more maybe 10-15. Email me and we can discuss it.

I agree do maint. first and then work on mods.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:51 PM

Is there any way to get NO GAp and have it waterproof? because i live in a very high moisture arear and i will have fog and dropplets everyday?

any help?
Old 03-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by dkris42
Is there any way to get NO GAp and have it waterproof? because i live in a very high moisture arear and i will have fog and dropplets everyday?

any help?

well like I said in another post. I was and probably still am going to fiberglass the lens in or make a whole new lens all together (if lexan can be bent that much). Thats about all you can do.

You can get the euro spec projector Lights. They are bigger and dont show much of a gap like the US lights do.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:35 PM

Looks really good! They match the lines very nice, good job!