3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need Help Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 11:58 AM

Need Help Fast!/RIM PICS

Ok, I need some help, last night I put my rims on, pics will be up later, anyway...on the way home from my gpas (where i got em put on) 2 times my cd player shut itself off and turned back on again, so i thought ok whatever. Today on the way to school it did it like 10 times, i was gonna find out what was wrong after school today...I take my friend home afterschool and on the way to his house it shut off again like 5 or 6 times, so i get to his house go in have a pop whatever come back out to go home, and my car wont start?!? it just clicks when i turn the ignition. I have noticed lately my windows have been slow rolling up and stuff...any one help me?!
Old 03-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dead battery

either because your battery sucks (need a new one) or your alternator sucks and wont charge it

jump start it and take it to autozone or advance auto, they do free testing of battery and alternators
Old 03-25-2004, 12:27 PM

ok, but whys my cd player twitchin out
Old 03-25-2004, 12:30 PM

probably not getting enough voltage from the battery
it's probably fluctuating right around it's threshold level
when my alternator died a while back, the radio went off a little while before the whole car died
Old 03-25-2004, 12:33 PM

did it come back on? like miens been doing...also, i notcied when i came to a stop in drive my idle would fluctuate until i put it in park
Old 03-25-2004, 12:43 PM

I dont remember, but I would just worry about getting the battery/alternator issue worked out first and then worry about the radio later. There is a decent chance that they're related
Old 03-25-2004, 12:49 PM

have you messed with your speaker wires? Like get them back ward have them touching somewhere else or anything? i did that before and it did what you said yours are doing
Old 03-25-2004, 01:12 PM

Hmm, sounds like your problem is the car. Might just be time to sell that thing and step up to a VE.

hehe
Old 03-25-2004, 02:01 PM

got a little update...my bro jumpstarted it, went for a couple blocks, came to a red light where my idle started fluctuating and eventually died, had to push it into a driveway, wouldnt hold a charge cuz i couldnt start it after that..even if it had died 3 seconds after starting..and eventually had it towed to my house where im stumped
I NEED HELP!
Old 03-25-2004, 02:03 PM

DRKIS i havnt messed with my speaker wires...i have messed with umm the cruise/defog/dim switches, never messed with the wires, just have had the switches out a couple days, also swapped in some SE guages but took em out and have my GXE guages in there, could I have messed something up causing this to happen
Old 03-25-2004, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by vwink182
Hmm, sounds like your problem is the car. Might just be time to sell that thing and step up to a VE.

hehe
HI,

I think it is his battery and alternator because the earlier max had problems with the original battery and alternator,

i had the same problem like him,

when i run my car for a while then turn it off and then came back trying to start it, it didn't start.

It would make a clicking sound in the engine bay,

it was try to turn over but didn't because the battery didn't have enought power to start the car,

so i think he should replace his alternator and change his battery if they are 2 or more years old,

the old one won't give enough power to the alternator,
Old 03-25-2004, 02:10 PM

the alternator is about 8 months old IIRC, and the battery i believed was replaced with that...I HIT A RATHER LARGE puddle the other day...think it got my alternator? also, whys my idle fluctuating and causing it to die
Old 03-25-2004, 02:20 PM

can anyone else further help me?!
Old 03-25-2004, 02:48 PM

Some pictures so you guys can realize how bad this thing needs driven

center caps will be goin on as soon as i retorque the wheels
Old 03-25-2004, 03:34 PM

Bump Need Help!
Old 03-25-2004, 04:05 PM

dude is your battery. Alternators don't go out by getting a bit of water. I've washed my engine and sprayed lots of water on the alternators with no problems.
Here is the thing. The problem will either be the battery or the alternator. wait until the car dies again and take out the battery. Take it to autozone and have them read the voltage of it. They will tell you if its good or bad.
If its good then chances are your alternator is bad.
As far as the radio goes, the problem could be related to the same issue, or you could have a few lose connections some where. Check for lose or damage power connections and ground connections.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Way out West

Is your alternator new or rebuilt? Very frequently rebuilt ones are crap (same with starters) and need to be replaced even if they were just put in a few months/weeks/days ago.

I would definitely have your electrical system checked out. Another thing would be to check your battery cables and terminals for corrosion. If you get some corrosion in there, not enough electricity reaches the battery and it doesn't charge correctly.

If you have a speaker wire (short) problem or the like, the worst thing it would do is blow a fuse. If you have a power drain somewhere, it will go slowly and your battery will be able to recharge. It definitely sounds like your battery will not hold a charge or your alternator will not charge your battery, which is already dead.
Way out West

Is your alternator new or rebuilt? Very frequently rebuilt ones are crap (same with starters) and need to be replaced even if they were just put in a few months/weeks/days ago.

I would definitely have your electrical system checked out. Another thing would be to check your battery cables and terminals for corrosion. If you get some corrosion in there, not enough electricity reaches the battery and it doesn't charge correctly.

If you have a speaker wire (short) problem or the like, the worst thing it would do is blow a fuse. If you have a power drain somewhere, it will go slowly and your battery will be able to recharge. It definitely sounds like your battery will not hold a charge or your alternator will not charge your battery, which is already dead.
Way out West

Old 03-25-2004, 05:21 PM
Way out West

Old 03-25-2004, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE

HI,

if they are rebuilt they won't last that long,

and if they are new they could last a long time,

i brought my car to the dealer and they put in a new one or a remanufactured one don't remember which one,

will who cares,

it hasn't died on me once

since the alternator was put in,

so the new and remanufactured alternator last a long time,

so you don't have to put more money into replacing the alternator,

I think you should replace your battery to if the original owner didn't replace them,
Old 03-25-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE

Wow, quad post!
Old 03-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Way out West

oops, my computer is flucked up right now.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:50 PM

had my battery and alternator tested...nothing was wrong, its running fine now...WTF
Old 03-27-2004, 08:32 PM
mod or sell?

Sounds like you probably had either :
A. Loose connection or
B. Corrosion at the connection causing a bad connection
Old 03-27-2004, 09:19 PM

got it fixed, autozone must be retarded, i took it somewhere else and got it tested, it was the alternator, replaced it today...a PITA i might add, and i think the old one went bad from the puddle, i realized i have no splash guard under my alternator