3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Whats this part? Why's it leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004 | 11:07 AM

Whats this part? Why's it leaking?

My car has been idling bad... some thought it was a vaccuum leak, I tried soapy water and carb cleaner to try and find a leak, but didn't find any... and didn't feel like spending $20 in hoses to replace them all(no job = big credit card payment)
I asked a guy at checkers, he thought it could be the thing that comes off the intake (idle control something I think), and to clean it out. I need to find a bolt that will fit first, and my friend still has my haynes, but does anyone know what peice this is? any idea why the hose is leaking coolant?(although the hose really isn't to worn, I think pressure might be more than what it is made for..)

Old 04-07-2004 | 11:13 AM
I'm needing a caw

Man, the captions are priceless. Idea go to the library and look a manual for free. That device looks like your EGR but I'm not 100% sure. Idle air control maybe.
Old 04-07-2004 | 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Man, the captions are priceless. Idea go to the library and look a manual for free. That device looks like your EGR but I'm not 100% sure. Idle air control maybe.
Yeh, I did go to the library... strange thing, I returned it about a week ago, the computer says it's there, they checked back, shelves, they couldn't find it (nor could I). I had it put on hold, so hopefully in a few days they'll find it.
It's above the EGR(cleaned that recently, so I know what it is ), but yeh, I guess it would be idle air control thingy. I think... it has an air hose and coolant running to it, and my idle is screwed up, so I think that would be it... but I still don't get why it's under so much pressure, and if the proper way to repair it would be to take it off, stuff the coolant line to keep it from leaking to much, and spray it out with carb cleaner?
Old 04-07-2004 | 11:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by doomtoo
Yeh, I did go to the library... strange thing, I returned it about a week ago, the computer says it's there, they checked back, shelves, they couldn't find it (nor could I). I had it put on hold, so hopefully in a few days they'll find it.
It's above the EGR(cleaned that recently, so I know what it is ), but yeh, I guess it would be idle air control thingy. I think... it has an air hose and coolant running to it, and my idle is screwed up, so I think that would be it... but I still don't get why it's under so much pressure, and if the proper way to repair it would be to take it off, stuff the coolant line to keep it from leaking to much, and spray it out with carb cleaner?
I'm not exactly sure how it (IACV) works, but if you pull it apart, there is a black plastic plunger in there that moves to control whether or not the air goes through it and into the engine. I pulled mine apart on my VG and it was caked with carbon buildup, so you might as well, even just to clean it. I read the part in the manual where you can test it to see if the plunger moves, but it didnt on mine, but then again maybe I just did it wrong.
Old 04-07-2004 | 03:24 PM

Ok, need more help... I took mine apart (3 screws + 4 screws + a bunch of stupid hoses), and I'm going to clean it out, but nothing looks to bad...
but the valve seems to be stuck partially open! :O I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be or not though... I wiggled it around and it came back to that spot, but it's like 1/3 open default... that doesn't seem right, does it?

first 2 pics show how I got to it, 3rd is the important one which shows the valve: (for you 56kers : http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmoeller/...ingy/valve.jpg)

I took them apart...

There's the 3 of them

And here's that valve... I think I should replace the gasket too... but nah, should be fine, eh?
Old 04-07-2004 | 04:29 PM
Im izz sexay

There seems to be a little crack in it. Best best is to get a new unit.
Old 04-07-2004 | 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by turdlett
There seems to be a little crack in it. Best best is to get a new unit.
Oh no, that isn't a crack in the unit, that is just the gasket, the metal is fine.

All I really need to know now is whether this valve should be stuck slightly open like that or if it should be closed all the way.

I cleaned it off, the plastic peice did have quite a carbon build-up on the tip that I hadn't seen, but this valve still stays at the same place. I don't know if I should readjust it! the intake manifold behind it is a little black in a charred little circular shape too, so that I may think it's supposed to be closed defaultly, but cannot be certain becuase it is open, and I don't see how it could open by itself slowly over time, with the spring in tact. Any one know if it's supposed to be ajar?
Old 04-07-2004 | 06:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

As long as it moves freely, you should be fine. There is probably a "default" position, but it's controlled by a motor and a spring, and also has coolant running through it, so all of those things work at different times to control the opening (or closing) of the valve. It's basic function is to compensate for load on the engine and adjust the idle speed accordingly.
Old 04-07-2004 | 06:17 PM

Ok cool, thanks. Yeah, I see all the coolant hoses, I don't see how they run through yet(looks like open inside), but I didn't take of the gasket all the way to see everything (like what, $5 for new gasket? )
Ah well, need to get new hose (all mine break sooo easily, darn dry hot arizona, and 13 yr old car..), and then I'll test it out! if it runs worse, new gasket. If better, heck I'll make a write-up - eventually.... Not that hard, but it would help
Old 04-08-2004 | 12:52 AM

if you need a IACV I have one off my parts car that had no problems w/ idling or if you need any other parts, let me know. I'm in the process of taking my VG apart.
Old 04-08-2004 | 05:33 AM

i also have a few of those layin arund if you need one let me know if nothin works out with anyone else.
Old 04-08-2004 | 07:23 AM

That is an A.A.C. (Auxilliary Air Control). There is a stepper motor there.

Check Haynes (Hayes) for procedure on how to check that.
Old 04-08-2004 | 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by MAXI
That is an A.A.C. (Auxilliary Air Control). There is a stepper motor there.

Check Haynes (Hayes) for procedure on how to check that.
Hmmm... are you sure? some people said it was the idle air control valve.... but of course, that might just be the black plunger thing... Yeh, I need to get my hands on either my haynes or find one at the library.... then, once I have a job, I'll buy myself a FSM! I soooo want one of those from what people say, the haynes is just not detailed enough for everythign... :/ but it works if you have a friend that mostly knows what he is talking about. :P
I drove it today with torn gasket... well, I took off the torn part :/ nopt a good idea, I know gaskets are there for some reason, allthough I can't put my finger on it yet. But I really think it was the prob - after a bigger tear, it's like the problem is magnefied! yippie-me I just hopt I'm not harming it driving it a little while waiting for a nissan dealership to get the part in(none in the valley had them in stock, they ordered them overnight delivery, should be there at 10am tommorrow, but I'll have put 100mi on the car by then..
Old 04-09-2004 | 03:18 PM
94c Big Max

it's your air idle thingy

if you're curious. there is that little black cap on top, pry it off with a flat head screw driver, turn the **** inside back and forth and you'll see your idle rpm jumps up and down.
Old 04-18-2004 | 01:27 PM

Im having a similar weird idle problem.....My engine idles kinda high, but sometimes, but then after i drive around for a while and come to a stop the idle drops to like 500rpm..almost like the engine is about to shut off. then I'll just rev it and it will go back to idling at about 1100 to 1400 rpm.

I played with the IACV adjust screw and screwed it all the way in and my idle is still weird...

If anyone has some ideas please give me a holla!!!
PeACE!!
Old 04-18-2004 | 01:56 PM
Seperated at Birth?

uh... that sounds like your TPS. those were my symptoms and i replaced it. problems went away and it was all good!