3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

check out my evilmax

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:26 AM

mr gone. stock vg30 de cams
4 hp for 1500 {i had them done by a nissan tech, go figure}
not worth it. if you want to find out for yourself how much of a pain in the *** it is, have fun!. but for 4 hp, you'll be kicking yourself over and over again.

bozzie. thanks man. not sure if that made me feel warm and fuzzy all over, but never the less thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

bryanH, i'm giving credit where itz due. things are chill, if not warm and fuzzy. so many people talk. you actually do it.

what color was that VE you had? and do you have any pics of it remaining? i have an idea...
Old 04-13-2004, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan H
search for it
with 17's on a ve max 5spd, it is rev limited at 178 mph {as added up by andy, another old max guy}

if you think im BSing, you have a severe awaking comming to you.
Ok so you are saying that they added up the top speed? Maybe that was one of them special top speed calculators?? Those are the basic mods of most every VE on here. Did you take that list from another .org member? I dont even see the stock gears in the tranny goin that far. I think that your comment is totally
Old 04-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oh yeah, argue with two of the best known people on this site.

Thats a great way to earn respect.

There has been a video for a while now of someone burying their VE speedo and having another ~1000 RPM to go. It's not far fetched at all. Not to mention that some cars are 'factory freaks' and for some inexplicable reason produce 10-20% more power than their standard counterparts.

Originally Posted by 89maxSE
Ok so you are saying that they added up the top speed? Maybe that was one of them special top speed calculators?? Those are the basic mods of most every VE on here. Did you take that list from another .org member? I dont even see the stock gears in the tranny goin that far. I think that your comment is totally
Old 04-13-2004, 12:01 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by 89maxSE
I dont thinki a fraction of the VEs on the board have done what Bryan H has done, not to mention MAXIMAS in general. Bryan is not a ricer and does not make things up. I believe him and respect what he has done for the VE world. Now go wax your car and try to make it white again.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:22 PM

LMAO at the fact that people are flaming BryanH
Old 04-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

this threads needs to get the Rikers Island treatment...LIGHTS OUT, LOCKDOWN!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 12:44 PM

bryan, what color was your VE max?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:36 PM

..this thread needs to be locked down..and added to the faqs as a matter of fact. That way I can always look at this thread and get motivation that:
1. I am not ricing my car out at all..(thanks evilvamp)
2. my ve CAN fly..(props, bryanh)
Old 04-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

so whats wrong with being all show and no go....to me a 14 sec. car is "no go" compared to what I am used to (except on a road coarse...my cars were all straight line cars...they would rub their door handles on the ground if I took a corner too fast LOL) so why not make it show .

OK I admit it I am rice...I care nothing about racing my maxima or driving fast...so I am all show (well will be if I ever finish) and no go. Of course rice is relative...every non factory maxima on here would be considered rice to some people I know.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spipedong90
There has been a video for a while now of someone burying their VE speedo and having another ~1000 RPM to go. It's not far fetched at all. Not to mention that some cars are 'factory freaks' and for some inexplicable reason produce 10-20% more power than their standard counterparts.
Yeah, the guy that did that is now making parts for 3rd gen maxima's, go figure.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:40 PM

So what is the top speed of a stock VE?

I just can't comprehend a 190hp car doing 163+ mph. Were you driving in a vacuum with no air resistance or something?? haha

edit - or maybe you were driving downhill?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Im izz sexay

The maxima's speed limit is very unlimited due to the fact that the speed limiter was never placed inside of the max. The only thing that is holding people back is the rev limiter. A stock ve is capable of going over 160 mph stock. THe VG is probably around 150 too. But if someone was to get a higher rev limiter or remove it altogether then the speed limit would probably be about 200 before the engine explodes.

If you really want to get creative find a laptop, hack into the ecu and change the limiter alone. But I believe this would have to be the trannies ecu since it controls all that good stuff (I may be wrong)
Old 04-13-2004, 05:19 PM

Maybe with the wind, downhill, in 60* weather, with a Mclaren F1 pushing him from behind. Can someone tell me where that clip is for the high speed run? And awsm66, I don't mind a car that is all show, but I just don't like it when people make their car all show and think that it is somehow faster. Hood pins and a $$$ filled interior don't make a car faster, but the guy who started this thread says he puts out 240 HP, and really doesn't show anything but his hood pins and ricey interior. Maybe a flashy interior does add HP, I don't know I'm still kind of new here.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:24 PM

the speedometers in 5th gens go to 160mph. imagine removing the rev limiter from those -170mph is a walk in the park.

i can see the VE doing 160-170, actually. stroke it, port it, valve it, chip it, cam it. like what bryan did. and there you go.

it is insane. love it.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:54 PM
No turbo, no care!

News flash, removing a rev limiter DOES NOT increase the top speed of the car. The rev limiter only slows down the engine so the valves dont float. If you remove the rev limiter without any valve sping work, you will just screw up your engine. Besides, no stock maxima can hit redline in 5th gear.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD NOW...so many people in this thread are talking nonsesnse about "remove this limiter, remove that limter"...I guess wind resistance and other aerodynamic factors mean nothing. PLEASE MODS LOCK THIS BS, ITS A ****ING JOKE!

some of yall need to stop using Super Street and F&F as your guide to automotive information cause that **** ain't helping!
Old 04-13-2004, 06:08 PM

Aw come on I just wanna find out if his Max really hit 163 on a flat surface.

You're the only one complaining about this thread, just don't participate in it if you don't like it.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I have no qualms with Bryans claim, its stood for well over 4-5 years...but problem is the constant flow of misinformation and stupidity of some of the other posts...my bad carry on with the crackerjack box automotive knowledge
Old 04-13-2004, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by masssmail
News flash, removing a rev limiter DOES NOT increase the top speed of the car..
Actually it does, think about it.
The rev limiter only slows down the engine so the valves dont float. If you remove the rev limiter without any valve sping work, you will just screw up your engine.
ummmmm no. Have you ever been in a VE with only bolt ons (no engine work) spinning at 7300rpm? I have. Owner took it to work the next day, then drove it home, then back to work, then home, then back to work, then home, and yep.
Besides, no stock maxima can hit redline in 5th gear.
Judging by the last 2 comments, I am automatically skeptical of this one.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:19 PM

News flash, removing a rev limiter DOES NOT increase the top speed of the car. The rev limiter only slows down the engine so the valves dont float. If you remove the rev limiter without any valve sping work, you will just screw up your engine. Besides, no stock maxima can hit redline in 5th gear.
the vg can handle 7000 rpm on the stock valvetrain. jwt bumps the rev limiter up to that. also, the stock vg can easily redline in 5th gear. i almost did it but was getting pretty close to a stop so i quit.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:24 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by MrGone
Actually it does, think about it.
No, it doesn't.. think about it.
you stop accelerating because the engine doesn't have enough power to overcome wind resistance. changing the rev limiter isn't going to do squat if you don't have the power to get the engine spinning that fast in the first place.

the video of me doing 155+ is gone. I deleted it a couple years ago, but it's been floating around and I've seen it off and on.

As for the rest of you guys, hardly any of you know what you're talking about and are just spouting random BS. unless you KNOW what you're talking about and have done it from experience, please STFU.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:27 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
No, it doesn't.. think about it.
you stop accelerating because the engine doesn't have enough power to overcome wind resistance. changing the rev limiter isn't going to do squat if you don't have the power to get the engine spinning that fast in the first place.

the video of me doing 155+ is gone. I deleted it a couple years ago, but it's been floating around and I've seen it off and on.

As for the rest of you guys, hardly any of you know what you're talking about and are just spouting random BS. unless you KNOW what you're talking about and have done it from experience, please STFU.

I still have the vid.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:31 PM

this thread is just getting good now.

i will agree with shawn and mtcookson. if the rev limiter is removed, you can exploit the maximum amount of horsepower available to the powerband in each gear, provided you do not destroy the engine by revving it too high.

let us go to an extreme to make a point: if the revs were limited to 2000 rpm in every gear, how could the driver use any horsepower? how could the driver climb into acceleration and speed? a 2000 rpm limited VG or VE would not go above 30 or 40 mph. you remove that limiter, and wham, you can now drive the speed limit.

sounds good, doesn't it? i'd bet, too, if you removed all of the interior except the driver's seat and steering wheel, you could even rev higher *sooner* with the rev limiter removed.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:39 PM
STFU n00b!

Chad, you're running yourself into a brick wall.

the torque curve on the VE falls off a cliff above about 6600rpm. unless you've done MAJOR mods to raise total flow through the heads and exhaust, the engine just can't breathe and runs out of steam.
http://www.mattblehm.com/pics/car/baseline_dyno.jpg

note the power curve starts dropping like a rock after 5000rpm. there's still plenty there at 5500-5800rpm to make it get up to that speed... but the higher RPM you go, the less power you have. by 6500rpm, you don't have much power at all, and the engine just can't push a hole that big in the atmosphere.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:42 PM

Do all cars have rev limiters?

What would happen if say I floored the throttle while in park? Would it be like in Gran Turismo where the needle bounces up and down near redline? heh
Old 04-13-2004, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Chad, you're running yourself into a brick wall.

the torque curve on the VE falls off a cliff above about 6600rpm.....
i had to get it out of my system.

you are 100% correct. a big drawback of the VG, for example, is that it does that very running out of breath act that you speak of. it just doesn't flow air very efficiently, has only a single cam per side, etc... and i have gone to beyond redline in say 2nd gear, for example, as the limiter will let you do that a little bit, and the power does fall off a cliff, as it goes beyond it's power range. you could, then, rev the engine all day to 34thousand rpm and it wouldn't help.

i heed your words. i listen and obey.

Old 04-13-2004, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by jaguax
Do all cars have rev limiters?

What would happen if say I floored the throttle while in park? Would it be like in Gran Turismo where the needle bounces up and down near redline? heh
Yes, the rev limiter just cuts the gas and it causes it to go down below the redline. Why don't you go out and try it and let us know what happens Then try to hit the rev limiter while in reverse too because I'm curious to see how fast you could go in reverse. Just don't hold me responsible for either of these attempts.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:18 PM

oohh its actually turning into a debate.
as for ME doing over 160 mph.
well being that i was radared {is that a word?} at 163 mph, and HAve a ticket STATING this. its hard to dispute that fact and even when matt stepped and said he saw it. he infact rode in my old 92 se, and justinMC DROVE it. that right there is all the proof you kids need.

bozzie, my old max was a 92 se 5spd, aztec red, no roof or leather {not much of anything after i got done with it either} track weight was 2790 lbs. street weight was 2850.

the only thing that was not ported on my motor was the heads. had stock manifolds AND {drum roll pleasE} stock y pipe. no ecu change so the stock rev limit was in place.

lets say you have a motor that makes peak torque at 6500 rpms, and peak hp at 7700 rpms. you set the rev limit at 10k rpms. now being that you have more then enough revs to play with, will the car go faster at 8k or 10k?
8k for the simple fact it doesn't have the power to go any faster at 10k then 8k. so its pointless to run 10k for the fact, it doesn't help anything and goes faster at 8k. if you have the valve train to run that high peachy, if you have some nasty cams that allow the motor to breathe that high, it might do it. might now, hard telling, too many variables in it.

back to me doing over 170 mph, the car put down over 190 to the wheels when i did this. power to weight ratio. and it was on flat ground
in the same process i proceeded to eat a talon tsi and a 300zx{92} walked and never looked back.

you can dispute the facts of it all you want too. what listed as mods are NOT basic mods, i don't see anytone else going nuts like i did on things. id post my mods list., but i don't feel the need to right now, im sure they are floating around somewhere on this board.

anything else i should post on here?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:32 PM

if my rev limiter was around 7000 i might just be able to match your speed
Old 04-13-2004, 10:37 PM

bryan, you had no roof? you cut it off?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:29 AM

well I must say that I've been Sounded way too far-fetched for me to believe w/o any type of proof. As I have been proved wrong I apologize to Bryan. Good work taking the max farther than anyone else. I would like to see that video you guys are talking about. And I would also like to see that ticket you got. I can't believe you didn't get thrown in jail and license suspended for 10 years over that. Once again, I apologize for being the that I am and I did not realize that you are a well known vet on the .org.

Cole
Old 04-14-2004, 12:36 AM

"anything else?" yeah, what are those mods that you did anyway? Maybe I'll have to start from the back of the threads to see, but I'd be pretty interested to see if they are doable or cheap enough for me to handle. I was kind of discouraged because it seems like you run out of things to do on the VE after basic bolt-ons.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:48 AM
STFU n00b!

look back a couple pages in this thread. he listed a good chunk of mods that he did to his car. not all, but a decent chunk of them that hardly anyone else has done.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:55 AM
STFU n00b!

oh.. FYI.. those of you wondering about shift points?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=288967

here ya go.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:11 AM

bouncing off the rev limiter would only hurt your 1/4 mile times...I would think. Unless maybe you let it hit the rev limiter and as soon as it did shifted quickly. Not sure though. I miss my max
Old 04-14-2004, 12:56 PM
STFU n00b!

1st gear, you'll want to shift as close to the limiter as possible-- 6600rpm. hitting the rev limiter stops you from accelerating- not a good thing in drag racing.

2nd gear, you'll want to shift just under that (6500)
and 3rd gear, you'll hit just under that (6400)

honestly, if you TRY to shift around 6400 in every gear, you'll hit the shift points just about right on.

as soon as you see the needle cross 6400 then go for the shift. in 1st gear, the engine will be at 65-6600 by the time you think *SHIFT!* and the time you actually press in the clutch and perform the shift.
same thing with 2nd gear, but since you're accelerating slower, the engine won't have gone up in rpm as quickly... so if you try to shift at 6400, you'll hit about 6500- which is perfect.

make sense?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:03 PM
NWP Engineering.com

My automatic rules. Just push the selector at 6400 and you will shift quickly by 6600. And shift at 6400 in 2nd gear and it shifts by 6500. Same principle as Matt explained. But my automatic is just faster.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm needing a caw

Unfortunate that you only have 3 underdriven gears.

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
My automatic rules. Just push the selector at 6400 and you will shift quickly by 6600. And shift at 6400 in 2nd gear and it shifts by 6500. Same principle as Matt explained. But my automatic is just faster.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:11 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Unfortunate that you only have 3 underdriven gears.
Exactly! That's how I suck for almost every type of racing except the 1/4 mile. From 0-82, I'm a beast b/c that is my stock gearing in 1st and 2nd gear. But my 3rd gear doesn't kick in until 100mph. So a stock 4 banger Civic 5spd can hang with me from 80-100mph. But then I'm a beast again from 100-155.

So, I got the smallest tires I could possibly get to shorten my gearing for the track and it makes it a lot better, but still, my 3rd gear sucks. Reguardless, my car still owns most 5spds from 0-60. If I had a 5spd, everyday drivibility would be SO much better just b/c you are in your powerband reguardless of what speed you're going. For my auto, my weak spots are 0-10, 45-55, and 75-95. For the 5spd, the weak spots are 0-10 (traction) and that's it. Everything else owns.

Quick Reply: check out my evilmax