3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Window tint...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 10:29 AM

Ok, I've heard varying opinions on this topic. Do you or do you not tint the front windshield? The law in Ohio is a maximum of 30% tint on the windshield and 50% tint on all other windows. I'm thinking about getting a 25-30% tint all the way around cause I don't really like cars that I have seen that tint the windshield less. Any thoughts? Oh, and how much $$$$ should this run me?
Old 03-23-2001, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Cincy94Max
Ok, I've heard varying opinions on this topic. Do you or do you not tint the front windshield? The law in Ohio is a maximum of 30% tint on the windshield and 50% tint on all other windows. I'm thinking about getting a 25-30% tint all the way around cause I don't really like cars that I have seen that tint the windshield less. Any thoughts? Oh, and how much $$$$ should this run me?
does anybody know if this is legal in california?
Old 03-23-2001, 01:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you mean a strip on top of the windshield or the whole thing? I don't want to be preachy, but tinting the whole windshield is asking for problems. Why restrict visibility where you need it the most? Just get a good pair of sunglasses...
Old 03-23-2001, 01:53 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Tinting the windsheild is a MAJOR no no!
very illegal, and if you know someone with it, just a matter of time before they crash or get busted...

my 5% limo tint (illegal but easy to get away with) cost me $110 inclusing the strip on the front , i wouldent and have never tinted the whole windsheild
Old 03-24-2001, 08:03 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hmm

Tinting the windshield is illegal everywhere, go to www.tintdude.com for state laws.... The bigger the %, the lighter the tint is.... I have 20 % all around, except for windshield ofcourse, and you can't make out anything inside the car during the day, forget about at night....

here is a pic

remember, this is 20%... If I was to go any darker, i'd only go to maybe 5% on rear, and 15% on all sides.. and a 15% 5 or 6 inch strip on top of windshield... It takes getting used to, you will have a hard time making out cars or objects in the rearview at night... if they don't have their headlights on or something, forget about it.

i paid 150$ for whole car, they did a ****ed up job dammit! it's cut out unevenly and too much space between edge of window and tint film..
Old 03-24-2001, 11:27 AM

Re: hmm

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Tinting the windshield is illegal everywhere, go to www.tintdude.com for state laws.... The bigger the %, the lighter the tint is.... I have 20 % all around, except for windshield ofcourse, and you can't make out anything inside the car during the day, forget about at night....

here is a pic

remember, this is 20%... If I was to go any darker, i'd only go to maybe 5% on rear, and 15% on all sides.. and a 15% 5 or 6 inch strip on top of windshield... It takes getting used to, you will have a hard time making out cars or objects in the rearview at night... if they don't have their headlights on or something, forget about it.

i paid 150$ for whole car, they did a ****ed up job dammit! it's cut out unevenly and too much space between edge of window and tint film..
Thanks for the tip. I called around town and most places were charging $169 or $189. A couple of the $169 places have a life time warranty so I think I'm gonna go ahead with a 20% all the way around and maybe a strip at the top. Thanks for the pic. In my opinion dark blue with tint looks better than black with tint.
Old 03-24-2001, 05:27 PM

Re: Re: hmm

How do you think my burgandy max would look like with tint? I dont want to dar, How do you think it would look wth only bthe rear two door and rear window look.
Old 03-24-2001, 08:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: hmm

Originally posted by JDwyer2821
How do you think my burgandy max would look like with tint? I dont want to dar, How do you think it would look wth only bthe rear two door and rear window look.
Personally I hate that look. IMO if your gonna get the windows tinted, get them all tinted, unless state law forbids it.
Old 03-25-2001, 10:36 AM

Some 4th gen on the board

Has limo tint all the way around, then somthign like 20% or darker on his windshield. That is NUTZ. I don't think you'd be able to drive at night at all.

PJ
Old 03-26-2001, 06:30 AM

When you say $110?

Are you getting a lifetime warranty when you're paying that? I looked for my car and they are charging $150 w/ lifetime.
Also, is it possible to get that do-it-yourself stuff and if you spend a good amount of time on it and do it right, can it look good? I'm a student, I know I'm cheap!
Old 03-26-2001, 09:33 AM

Re: When you say $110?

Originally posted by KCMax
Are you getting a lifetime warranty when you're paying that? I looked for my car and they are charging $150 w/ lifetime.
Also, is it possible to get that do-it-yourself stuff and if you spend a good amount of time on it and do it right, can it look good? I'm a student, I know I'm cheap!
Make sure you ask what that lifetime warranty covers. Some just cover bubbling, others cover cracking, fading, warping, bubbling, the adhesive failing, and all kinds of stuff. Just because it's a warranty doesn't mean it will cover any type of damage.
Old 03-26-2001, 10:09 AM

I'd watch out tinting your windshield here in cincy. That's just a reason for the cops to pull you over. I got pulled over twice in my other car (6inches down) for having the windshield tinted within about 1 month.
Old 03-26-2001, 10:59 PM

in oklahoma, where i am, the cops are ****** and will pull you over for almost anything (the only thing they have been nice about is the hyper whites signals, which almost all pimped out imports have). on my car, after i get it repained, i am going to get it tinted blue and the for the windshield, i am going to just get that little banner thing or visor tint.
Old 03-27-2001, 12:10 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

All you guys got good deals with your tint.... which is why I'll probably do mine myself. Here in ND, at the local tint shop (and if anyone is in Grand Forks, DO NOT go to Tintmasters...), the quote they gave me was for $225 for the whole car, not including the windshield strip. I think that they are on some high speed pharmaceuticals, IMHO! But I've tinted my own windows in the past with excellent results, so screw the big guys!!
Old 03-27-2001, 03:22 PM

Re: When you say $110?

Originally posted by KCMax
you can go ahead and try to do it yourself. the tint is cheap. it is very difficult to do tho. i gave up trying to do it myself. its easier just to pay someone else to do it. i do everything myself on my car, but i think tinting is just one of those things thats better left to the pros.