3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Optimizing vs Modifying

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 12:53 PM

Optimizing vs Modifying

I was curious if anyone has thought much of the possibility of optimizing the performance of the VE as opposed to modifying with intakes, exhausts, etc. For example, not modding the intake, but merely putting in a less restrictive filter and maybe a JWT ECU with a VAFC (air/fuel controller) piggybacked on it. Wouldn't that in essence raise the rev limiter and allow you to dyno tune in the best possible a/f mixture for the stock components. While I realize this would raise hp/tq greatly, it may smooth out the stock numbers a little and give you a little more power without alot of noise (pop charger roar, Y-pipe, etc)?
Old 05-10-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm needing a caw

Maybe but you just mentioned a good $650-$700 worth of mods.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

funny thing is most people would consider a higher flowing intake/exhaust more optimizing vs. adding a JWT

although I would say running only hte SAFC would be the best way to just be optimizing. JWT already remaps the ECU along with adding the higher rev limiter. It doesn't just add the higher rev limiter.

If I were you though, I would atleast get the intake/y-pipe though.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:14 PM

Yeah, I know a new ECU is most certainly a mod, but you get the picture, right? Now I know an intake and Y-pipe most certainly add power, but with that power comes noise. My rose colored memories of my VE 5spd bone stock was that the engine made a sweet sound already. My only concern is that I dont want to turn it into a roaring muscle car wannabe. Plus, there seems to be some advantages to the stock intake (low end torque and quitness being the two biggest). How loud is just a Y-pipe by itself?
Old 05-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Im izz sexay

Get one and if you don't like it you can give it to me as a gift.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:38 PM

I have heard the y-pipe is not much louder than stock(if at all) but I wouldn't know as I do not have mine on yet (haven't had time, still sitting in trunk).
Old 05-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Way out West

The y-pipe by itself isn't any louder than the stock one. When you add either an intake or an exhaust -- those are the loud parts.

I put my y-pipe on before either the intake or any other mods. I could feel a difference in hp (especially in the 3000 rpm + range) but the noise level was not any different, at least not anything noticeable, even at WOT.

Once I added the pop charger (that is fairly noisy), but it's only loud when you mash the throttle. If I drive sedately, no one knows it's even there.

The loudest component is going to be the cat back. This is where I don't have experience. I left my original one on there (it's still perfect) and the car is still quiet, except for the pop charger.

I think if you put in a good size resonator and a quality muffler, you will get a little bit of rumble, but not much "drone." However, it will probably be loud at WOT.

In order to maximize any mods you have, you will definitely want more air coming in and easier exhaust flowing out. There is a reason that everyone does these things.

If you add a JWT ECU and a VAFC on your stock car you will likely see some gains. If you add an intake and a y-pipe to that, you will see even more gains. You should probably call JWT and ask them about their ECU upgrade and if it will perform in the manner you are looking for. I don't have one, but if anything, I would think it would be designed to maximize the engine controls with the increased air intake and exhaust output that virtually everyone has that gets one.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
The y-pipe by itself isn't any louder than the stock one. When you add either an intake or an exhaust -- those are the loud parts.

I put my y-pipe on before either the intake or any other mods. I could feel a difference in hp (especially in the 3000 rpm + range) but the noise level was not any different, at least not anything noticeable, even at WOT.

Once I added the pop charger (that is fairly noisy), but it's only loud when you mash the throttle. If I drive sedately, no one knows it's even there.

The loudest component is going to be the cat back. This is where I don't have experience. I left my original one on there (it's still perfect) and the car is still quiet, except for the pop charger.

I think if you put in a good size resonator and a quality muffler, you will get a little bit of rumble, but not much "drone." However, it will probably be loud at WOT.

In order to maximize any mods you have, you will definitely want more air coming in and easier exhaust flowing out. There is a reason that everyone does these things.

If you add a JWT ECU and a VAFC on your stock car you will likely see some gains. If you add an intake and a y-pipe to that, you will see even more gains. You should probably call JWT and ask them about their ECU upgrade and if it will perform in the manner you are looking for. I don't have one, but if anything, I would think it would be designed to maximize the engine controls with the increased air intake and exhaust output that virtually everyone has that gets one.
Thanks for the detailed response. I had an '01 Prelude with CAI and Mugen headers/exhaust, VAFC, pulleys, etc. While it made great sounds and more power thats not what I'm going for with my reincarnation of the original 4DSC. I think I'd go for the Y-pipe since it wont add sound by itself and a free flowing filter for the stock intake box and maybe tune it all with a JWT ECU on a dyno. I'm sure it wont beat any of the guys going for the full set up but at least I know that each step is running at max efficiency.