3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

It never ends, one thing after another need help about belts(kinda long)..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 12:39 PM

It never ends, one thing after another need help about belts(kinda long)..

Ok this weeked my friend and i intstalled both cv axles. Well yesterday i go to get my car aligned and i notice that im leaking a lot of tranny fluid. So about 70 miles later i finally make it home and all of the sudden i loose my power steering im like wtf, and then my temp gauge sky rockets to past the H. Now i know what happened, i barely made it home and roll into my driveway. I popped the hood and to my demise the power steering belt broke off. That explains why my car overheated no belt to the water pump. So now today hopefully we are going to get underneath it and fix my tranny leak. It is the driver's side seal that the cv axle goes into the tranny. I don't know why it's leaking, im guessing either wrong seal, or he didn't put it in all the way. ok here is my questions, since i just got the front aligned and now im goin to have to take it back apart am i goin to have to get it aligned again. And second question can anyone please help me out on a diagram on how the power steering belt goes on. I don't have my fsm, because i have a new hood from a wreck i was in and the body shop didn't put one on. SO i have no clue in how it goes on, and even how to install it. Im guessing that im goin to have to get to it from underneath it. There is definately no clearance on the top, freaking front wheel drive, has anyone done this, replaced their serpetine belts, if so please help me out. Cuz im lost and i want to get my maxima back on the road. I just got my new wheels on too and it looks good, hopefully i'll have new pics soon. I appreciate all of you guys help like always. Someone please put me in the right direction.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

check out www.4dsc.com/articles for the how-to about underdrive pulleys or the alternator replacement how-to. It'll show you some info about the belts. You'll need to take off the other belts to get to the PS belt since it's on the inside, but it's still easy

For the axle, it's probably the seal like you said.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:53 PM

Belts

Did you get an answer out of that? If you didn't, I can probably E-Mail you a description of how to do it , from the Chilton book. I think that would help.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:59 PM

i had a similar thing happen but it was because my alternator froze up which sucked