3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

To sell or not to sell....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

To sell or not to sell....

Hi all,

Any advice would help me out here!!! I have a 91 5 speed SE with about 130,000 on it. Currently the car is not being driven as it needs quite a bit of work, mostly wear out items. I will be doing the work myself, in everyones opinion here is it worth to fix or get rid of at this point. I will list the work below:

Clutch
Pass Side Axle
Front Brakes
Tune Up
Full exhaust - entire system including y pipe - I still have the cat...
Rear struts

Even doing the work myself the cost for these parts is quite high... The engine runs great and car drives like a dream... Help me out here!! Thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Im izz sexay

Me personally would say fix it up because due to these needed parts you won't get much because they are costly. This car is perfect to make into a project. 3" exhaust, aftermarket clutch, brake upgrade, performance struts, the list can go on. It's up to you. FIx the car then sell. YOu might be able to get 5 grand. Never know.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:30 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

thats all simple ****..."hardest" thing on there is the clutch, but you could knock that, the brakes and the axles out at once. 130k on these cars is baby miles...getting rid of it over this minor stuff would be a loss on your part. and the parts aren't that expensive...just space the repairs out and do a few at a time.

Originally Posted by 91maxneedshelp
Hi all,

Any advice would help me out here!!! I have a 91 5 speed SE with about 130,000 on it. Currently the car is not being driven as it needs quite a bit of work, mostly wear out items. I will be doing the work myself, in everyones opinion here is it worth to fix or get rid of at this point. I will list the work below:

Clutch
Pass Side Axle
Front Brakes
Tune Up
Rear struts

Even doing the work myself the cost for these parts is quite high... The engine runs great and car drives like a dream... Help me out here!! Thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by turdlett
Me personally would say fix it up because due to these needed parts you won't get much because they are costly. This car is perfect to make into a project. 3" exhaust, aftermarket clutch, brake upgrade, performance struts, the list can go on. It's up to you. FIx the car then sell. YOu might be able to get 5 grand. Never know.
Thanks! Any reccs on clutch, cat back, and struts?
Old 05-20-2004, 09:56 AM
I'm needing a caw

Umm. A 3" diameter exhaust will kill any exhaust velocity you might have had. Way too big

Originally Posted by turdlett
Old 05-20-2004, 11:18 AM

Then maybe we should just use a 3 inch exhaust TIP? Just kidding.
The question is what repairs have been done and what are still to be done? What more reliable car could you get for the same money, or can you afford a newer car? Basically it seems like people buy newer cars to get reliablity-if yours is still reliable, then keep it. I was looking on autotrader.com and there is an '89 with 36K miles on it-original owner, forgot where. If anybody's looking for an original 3rd gen start looking...
Old 05-20-2004, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 91maxneedshelp
Hi all,

Clutch
Pass Side Axle
Front Brakes
Tune Up
Rear struts

Well i just posted the same thing yesterday, i thought this was my thread.

My advice.....the car isnt worth squat now not running. Its only going to be worth 2-3k if you get it running and inspected. I would keep that in mind and try to keep a positive return on your investment into it if you plan to sell it.

in short, dont dump more money into it unless your going to get it back selling it.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Im izz sexay

I was playing about the 3" exhaust. You'll go around sounding like a Semi. About the exhaust what are you thinking of buying. You can do a full Warpseed exhaust for like 600. That is if you want to spend that much. If you fix it will you drive it or is it getting in your way?