3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 04:23 PM

starter problems

Hey all, I've got a couple of issues with the Max.
First, I can't get it to start. It seems to be getting spark and fuel, and I've checked all the fuses and fusible links that I am aware of, and I replaced the cap and rotor. I've checked ignition coil, power transistor, and plug wires. If I give it some gas, I'll get a backfire. It quit running after driving it in some pretty hard rain and some decent sized puddles.

Second problem which has me annoyed is that the starter isn't engaging the motor. It will spin up just fine, and the battery is in good shape, but the starter won't turn the motor over.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 05-21-2004, 09:56 PM

I'd get a new distributor cap and rotor. I'd try starting it in neutral as well as park. Make sure all fuses are good. Various starter/ignition relays can also be a problem. Make sure the CEL illuminates when attempting to start the car. When I looked up various causes of starting problems those were mentioned. Try pushing forward on the shifter lever. Consider starter, starter relay aka interupt relay, ignition switch, park neutral position safety switch, engine cont relay, egi relay. Those are some various problems on a google nissan maxima group site archive. Don't know how accurate/exact they are.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:29 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by grody

Second problem which has me annoyed is that the starter isn't engaging the motor. It will spin up just fine, and the battery is in good shape, but the starter won't turn the motor over.

Anybody have any ideas?
Can you say bad starter solenoid?

You may be able to buy it seperately but most places only have it already attached to the starter and sell it as part of the starter.

oh. and of course that would prevent the car from starting.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:04 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by grody
Hey all, I've got a couple of issues with the Max.
First, I can't get it to start. It seems to be getting spark and fuel, and I've checked all the fuses and fusible links that I am aware of, and I replaced the cap and rotor. I've checked ignition coil, power transistor, and plug wires. If I give it some gas, I'll get a backfire. It quit running after driving it in some pretty hard rain and some decent sized puddles.

Anybody have any ideas?

I want you to listen to yourself. First you say you're having a starting problem but you're getting spark and fuel. Then you say you're also having a starter problem, it's not engaging the motor.

Ok let's decipher this. Could it be your stater is casuing you to have a "starting" problem? Fix the starter problem them concentrate on the starting problem.

But
Then you mention you're getting spark and I now for sure you if you're getting spark that means your starter is working.

Which one is it, a "starter" or a "starting" problem?

MIKE