3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

sr20det in maxima

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 09:00 PM

What about using the ca18de from an 88 pulsar se. Thats what i would do. that is a beast like none other.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Kyle
What about using the ca18de from an 88 pulsar se. Thats what i would do. that is a beast like none other.
You're kidding right? i had one of those in my old bluebird, and it was as slow as!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
on a stock 300zx turbo with the boost turned up to 155 psi (stock turbo limit) i believe it pushed around 250 whp and something like over 300 wtq.
You mean 15 psi right? 155psi = kaboom
Old 05-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lol, oops. maybe i was thinking of a semi-truck engine or something...

yeah, 15 psi is what i meant.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:15 PM

True... I wan't callin' ya out or anything. I assumed it was a typo. I just would't want 1 of the TT seekers to get their hopes up lol.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

anything is possible...over seas i saw a awd cefiero with the rb25dett. i nearly s***ed my pants when i saw it. but i think it is really pointless to invest all that money when you can get around the same amount of power with a boosted vq or a vg
Old 05-26-2004, 09:35 AM

KA has more torque than SR. yet i wouldn't remotely consider, even if it were feasible, putting either engine in the comparatively massive maxima.

from an engineering/physics standpoint, i am wondering now if torque is "relative." that is, can you have, say, and palm-sized motor, making 500 ft/lbs. of torque, dropped into a maxima and then it cannot overcome the inertia of the sitting, massive, maxima as the palm-sized motor lacks sufficient rotational mass? eventhough the motor puts out 500 ft/lbs? ie, it will effectively pull a mass relative to it's size. is the size/mass of the actual rotating assembly relevant?

like if you dropped a V8 engine-sized motor, making 10,000 ft/lbs torque into a locomotive, would it pull the train?

this seems like a question matt can answer.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:45 AM

That's what I thought too.
I think thats why we can't use springs made for the Sentra,240. My max weighs about six hundred less than the 3/4 gens.
The Sr20 wouldn't be able to move it.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

like I said before, my guess is that the simple fact is not motor size....its power band...the SR torque curve probably hits well above where the VE/VG(especially, isn't the VG like late 2k/early 3k) does...thus making it more difficult to PULL the heavier Maxima from a start
Old 05-26-2004, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
like I said before, my guess is that the simple fact is not motor size....its power band...the SR torque curve probably hits well above where the VE/VG(especially, isn't the VG like late 2k/early 3k) does...thus making it more difficult to PULL the heavier Maxima from a start
good thinking. what about the KA? that motor has torque instantly. is this considered the power band? just pondering this. would the KA be able to pull the maxima better from a dead start than the SR?
Old 05-26-2004, 11:13 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by bonzelite
good thinking. what about the KA? that motor has torque instantly. is this considered the power band? just pondering this. would the KA be able to pull the maxima better from a dead start than the SR?
I've never seen a stock SOHC KA dyno, but I can assume the torque curves might be similar to the VG. but the 240 will theoretically launch better anywyas since its RWD. but yeah I'll say the KA does have some nice torque, my buddies old SOHC KA would kill my torqueless teg off the the line, but after the torque died out, well the KA would fall flat on its *** and I left him. now the DOHC KA, it perfect IMO, pulls nice and hard off the line all the way up(can't beat torque and a nice breathing DOHC), its no SR, but when boosted its a monster non the less! surprised there aren't more KA24DETs...some one find a stock KA24DE dyno.

all in all IMO...lets all keep it simple...VG30ET swap for the Maxima and leave the SRs for the 240s...making more work for no reason is pointless, plus NO ONE on here has come close to maxxing out the potential of the Z motor anywyas.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
I've never seen a stock SOHC KA dyno, but I can assume the torque curves might be similar to the VG. but the 240 will theoretically launch better anywyas since its RWD. but yeah I'll say the KA does have some nice torque, my buddies old SOHC KA would kill my torqueless teg off the the line, but after the torque died out, well the KA would fall flat on its *** and I left him. now the DOHC KA, it perfect IMO, pulls nice and hard off the line all the way up(can't beat torque and a nice breathing DOHC), its no SR, but when boosted its a monster non the less! surprised there aren't more KA24DETs...some one find a stock KA24DE dyno.

all in all IMO...lets all keep it simple...VG30ET swap for the Maxima and leave the SRs for the 240s...making more work for no reason is pointless, plus NO ONE on here has come close to maxxing out the potential of the Z motor anywyas.
i have the KA24DE in my S14. i plan to boost it, keep it. the whole debate over the KA v SR is in the torque/powerband issue: they say the SR is "more fun" to drive because it is a "true" sports car engine designed to keep the driver more "active," whilst the KA is not as "fun" because it just has loads of torque on tap immediately so there is less driver input.

both engines are incredible little things. i think the stroke on the KA is longer.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:37 AM

Next person to ask about putting a 4cyl engine in their car gets banned. Same applys for if you ask about putting an inline 6.

Chad- If it were my 240, I'd do the turbo KA
Old 05-26-2004, 11:50 AM

shawn, thanks for your support for the KA thing. i mulled it over again and again and it is going to be the KA. everyone wants the JDM SR thing and i'm spent on it. the KA has loads more torque and has an all-forged internal setup except for the cast eutectic pistons which are better, imho, anyway than forged for daily use. i'd just consider dished pistons over stock for boost conditions. other than that, she's virgin territory, 30k miles only, and ready to rock.

as for the 3rd gen, i'd just keep the same engine and boost it, VG or VE. those motors are strong sons of b@#$@$@ches.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

well when it comes down to it, IMO stock for stock SR > KA-T anyday...the SR just has SOOOOOO much more potential in its stock form, simple injector upgrades and EMS can hold 500+hp on the stock block...If I read right when I was decding on whether to buy a 240 last year, the KAT setup is good for about 300 before you start cutting it close and brekaing ****. and I have to add after working on and driving Max O/Ds SR20DET 240, I must say that it is waaaaaaaaay more peppy and fun to drive than the KA....I dunno, maybe now I'm just used to only average lowend and very peppy top since I've switch over to mainly running Hondas now. I dunno, but either choice is sweet, sometimes I wish I had hunkered down a few more months and found a nice S13 instead, but ah well
Old 05-26-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

I'd probably do KA. If you pop a KA, it's like $75 for another engine. Pop a SR20DET and $="oops"
Old 05-26-2004, 02:48 PM

the debate will rage on between KA and SR. you can boost the KA nearly as high as the SR in stock form. it is more of the idea that you speak of, and what i mentioned: the feeling and driver input. the "proper" sports car engine is the SR. it has a short stroke, can be revved extremely high, etc. the KA boosted is a torque monster from hell. take your pick.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:52 PM

and what jeff said, too. you blow the KA, who cares.
you blow the SR = oh ****.

same with S15 front end conversion: all fiberglass and expensive for front clip. you smash it, dent it --- oh well. too bad.

but do zenki to kouki, or just keep zenki --- pull out the dent, sand, fill, prime, paint --- like new. cheap.

i know this is OT.

now back on topic....
Old 05-26-2004, 03:34 PM

the debate will rage on between KA and SR. you can boost the KA nearly as high as the SR in stock form.
I believe there are some guys out there now with some KA's with boat loads of power. I think the thread was on Nico. hmmm

The whole torque vs revving thing, sure, going 8000 can be fun, but I'd rather have the torque. If I wanted a high revving motor I would look at a triangle powah one
Methinks that arguement is just for the SR guys to justify dumping the money it .

If I were to get a JDM engine for a 240, I'd go for a RB
Old 05-26-2004, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
I believe there are some guys out there now with some KA's with boat loads of power. I think the thread was on Nico. hmmm

The whole torque vs revving thing, sure, going 8000 can be fun, but I'd rather have the torque. If I wanted a high revving motor I would look at a triangle powah one
Methinks that arguement is just for the SR guys to justify dumping the money it .

If I were to get a JDM engine for a 240, I'd go for a RB

THE best argument for KA i have ever heard in my life to date.

i agree 102%.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:18 PM
Im izz sexay

If you plan to do this conversion then worry about the tranny more than how much power max. The max is FWD and the KA, SR, and RB are all RWD. With this project you'll need custom rear axles, and tranny. All of this will cost you more than 10K. 240's sell for about 3000 for the s13. 6000 for the s14 if you're lucky. Then the conversion will be about 5000. Max cost will range from 8000 to 11000. Do the math. Is it even worth putting these engines in a maxima? Be proud of your VG\VE and work on that. Besides where is all the pride in ricing out a V6 car with a 4-banger engine. You want power then find a way to spend 10g's in a custom t3 twin turbo intercooled VG/VE. Then you have something to be proud of.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:44 PM

i mean, to even consider seriously the prospect of doing such a swap is absolutely ludicrous. it is great for a fantasy thread and discussion about the KA v SR. but to really consider it? that is like considering seriously a process to extract a high-yield soy bean harvest next growing season in the southern hemisphere of mars.

if anything, nearly as far-fetched but more feasible, i'd consider with money to throw away into a black hole, the VQ35DE swap.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Maxima of the Month Dec. 07

The KA and SR from a 240sx are rear wheel drive, but the SR20 found in the older sentra se-r's are front wheel drive right? Still, the maxima is significantly heavier than the sentra.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:21 PM

i dunno about the sentras. i think those are called "sunny" in JDM. if so, then yes is the answer.

a proper power/weight/size thing would be to turbo the G20. those have the SR20DE. i have a write up on how to do it in sport compact car. that car would be sweet boosted.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:27 PM

i dunno about the sentras. i think those are called "sunny" in JDM. if so, then yes is the answer.

a proper power/weight/size thing would be to turbo the G20. those have the SR20DE. i have a write up on how to do it in sport compact car. that car would be sweet boosted.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:02 PM

actually, if you guys check out the specs, the ka24de and the ve30de have an almost identical peak torque rpm. ka24de comes in at 4400 while the ve30de comes in at 4000. granted the ve pulls 30 more ft. lb. or torque the ka boosted would probably be pretty fun and you probably wouldn't notice very much difference. i'd still personally stick with the vg or ve though.

now that i think about it, unless you did some custom tranny mount work you wouldn't be able to do the ka swap because it would be sitting vertical in the engine bay which would most likely make it too tall to shut the hood. i'm pretty sure the ka has the same tranny bolt pattern as the vg/ve so you could use the stock tranny but like i said above, you'd have some big trouble in doing so.

all in all, i'd just go with a boosted vg (if you have a vg or want to swap from ve to vg or whatever). it is actually quite cheap to do if you take your time looking for the best deals. i put my setup together and got it running for less than most turbo kits themselves cost (and I actually made a few mistakes along the way which in turn causes pointless costs). without all of the mistakes i made i could have probably finished it all on a budget of 1500 or possibly even less. if i had a bigger budget i could have bought a lot more aftermarket parts and be pulling even more power than i am but since i was on a pretty tight budget i decided to get it running and then start adding on the parts. that way, i can have all of the bugs worked out and everything before its time to pull big power.

that's the route i took, the route you want to take is all up to you. i can just help you along the way if need be.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:02 PM

that makes sense. both the VG and KA are designed with long strokes, low-end torque, and both engines are used in trucks.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:33 PM

VE = = stroke to VG
Old 05-26-2004, 09:46 PM

VE = = stroke to VG
this brings up something, then, perhaps simple, yet heretofore elusive to me: besides the DOHC/vtc, what does the VE have internally that differs from the VG?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:09 PM

higher compression for one
Old 05-26-2004, 10:58 PM

Cranks are different, blocks are different
Connecting rod journals are same diameter, wrist pin diameter is bigger on the VE, VE wrist pin size matches the VG30DEs.
I forget if the crankshaft journal diameters are the same or not. (too lazy to break out the FSM) I believe they are though.

If you want to put VG30DE(TT) or VE pistons in your VG30E you would need the connecting rods and pistons, and vice versa.
VE's only need the pistons to run VG30DE(TT) pistons.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:44 AM

[QUOTE=mtcookson]actually, if you guys check out the specs, the ka24de and the ve30de have an almost identical peak torque rpm. ka24de comes in at 4400 while the ve30de comes in at 4000. granted the ve pulls 30 more ft. lb. or torque the ka boosted would probably be pretty fun and you probably wouldn't notice very much difference. i'd still personally stick with the vg or ve though.

now that i think about it, unless you did some custom tranny mount work you wouldn't be able to do the ka swap because it would be sitting vertical in the engine bay which would most likely make it too tall to shut the hood. i'm pretty sure the ka has the same tranny bolt pattern as the vg/ve so you could use the stock tranny but like i said above, you'd have some big trouble in doing so.

QUOTE]have you forgot that the usdm altima 93-01 came with ka24de and it's fwd? you could use that. the altima version also has better stock cams than the 240sx version and also has a lower compression ration 9.2:1 vs 9.5:1. the altima uses a re4fo4a tranny, there were some with re4fo4v(vlsd) trannies.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:51 AM

this is a dyno of a 2000 altima w/ just a injen intake a magnaflow cat-back. this car also had a auto tranny. look at the torque.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:18 AM

crap look at that spike.
That engine in a maxima would be so unbelieveably boring....

Jeff92se's dyno with Intake/Y-pipe/muffler/JWT ECU/resistor
Old 05-27-2004, 08:28 AM

crap look at that spike.
That engine in a maxima would be so unbelieveably boring....

Jeff92se's dyno with Intake/Y-pipe/muffler/JWT ECU/resistor
http://community.webshots.com/s/imag...7GXehOF_ph.jpg
says "forbidden." can't get it to come up.

i like to see dyno graphs. they reveal a lot; cuts the clutter.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:35 AM

it did that to me as well but when i refreshed the page it worked.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:51 AM

edited the post
Old 05-27-2004, 11:04 AM

wow. jeff's car is pretty beefy. is that horsepower at the crank or wheels?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

Um on a dyno? The VE30DE makes 190hp and 190ft lbs torque. So if it's at the crank, one would be pretty dissapointed yes?

wow. jeff's car is pretty beefy. is that horsepower at the crank or wheels?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Um on a dyno? The VE30DE makes 190hp and 190ft lbs torque. So if it's at the crank, one would be pretty dissapointed yes?
yes one would be.

so you lose about 15hp to friction and all that. and you put down about 175, that's pretty good for n/a.

Quick Reply: sr20det in maxima