3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Made my own CAI today.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 05:27 PM

Give me a week and i'll get back to you on my decision
Old 10-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Nice pics............
everyone with the Jeffy CAI has a ground kit (although I have to say kind of in snowlincs case ) and a Otto fstb, you should make them prereq's for the CAI hehehehhehe
Old 01-06-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hey, Chris. You install the last Jeffy CAI system yet?
Old 01-06-2005, 05:03 PM

yeah Chris, have you installed your Greddy yet aswell?

Jeffy I showed 2 people the CAI today
Old 01-06-2005, 07:31 PM
The Computer Guy

Nice man can u make me one LOL. I already have the cone intake and adapter I just dont have the CAI tubes. Are you making them to sell? I am interested if u are thanks. Email me TD1537@charter.net I have 93 VG GXE
Old 01-06-2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by nForce
Nice man can u make me one LOL. I already have the cone intake and adapter I just dont have the CAI tubes. Are you making them to sell? I am interested if u are thanks. Email me TD1537@charter.net I have 93 VG GXE
just so you kno, the cai is for ve. not sure if jeff makes one for the vg. incase you havent noticed, his block should look very diff from yours. if your really interested in getting a cai, id suggest you get one for a 90-93 accord. i have it on my car. pipe goes down to the back of my front bumper. its a lil further below the headlight than jeffs cai cuz i sawed part of another cai i had and took the sawed part which is an elbow and moved it down there. planning on taking a few pics and posting it up soon wen i do my e36 mod in aabout a week or so
Old 01-06-2005, 08:35 PM
GReDdyXMaXiMa

Wow , u r still alive

Old 01-06-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by nForce
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=366756
Old 01-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Way out West

Hey, Chris. You install the last Jeffy CAI system yet?

I would like to, but I have been super duper busy. I even had to work on my vacation. Since it was during the Holidays, I was on-and-off out of town all of the time, too. I got my end of the year check the other day and I have worked more than 500 hours of OT in 2004. Yikes!!!

I also have some personal stuff going on that has been keeping me kind of sidetracked.

Eventually, I will install all of the stuff I want to get done on the Maxima...maybe
Old 05-15-2005, 07:26 AM
- Product of Maxima.org -

Sign me up for one....i have a 92 VE 5spd.....looking to get all the parts (piping, MAF, filter, everything) what kind of estimate you got for me? I know you said 100 shipped, but i think that was for everything but maf and filter....refresh me?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:42 AM

Looks great! tho, did you just do away with your rad overflowcan? I didn't see it in any of the pics, and is the wiring long enough to relocate that link box or did you have to rewire that? Thanks man, looking forward to hearing the shhhhhhhh under the hood.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:48 AM

Maybe I missed it, but no one asked the most important question of all: CAN YOU FEEL A DIFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE?
I mean, all that hard work to custom make your own CAI and if you didn't notice a difference, then this thread is as good as dead.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
Maybe I missed it, but no one asked the most important question of all: CAN YOU FEEL A DIFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE?
I mean, all that hard work to custom make your own CAI and if you didn't notice a difference, then this thread is as good as dead.
That is kind of a retarded question. If we didn't feel a difference we wouldn't run them and Jeff wouldn't sell them.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:53 AM

Well maybe not... what if you bought it and didnt know a difference, but you didnt lose any performance... I bet you would still run it because you had already bought it and you werent losing anything.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
That is kind of a retarded question. If we didn't feel a difference we wouldn't run them and Jeff wouldn't sell them.

How do you figure it's a retarded question? There are several companies that manufacture CAI's for our VE's; The reason someone would make improvements on an existing product, is because they know they can get better results with a product of their own. However; no one has posted any dyno results or 1/4 times or said that they noticed a huge difference. Instead everyone keeps talking about how good it looks. I mean, it looks good, but it's not worth spending money on if it doesn't produce results.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:28 PM
blacks92seAuto

How do you figure it's a retarded question? There are several companies that manufacture CAI's for our VE's; The reason someone would make improvements on an existing product, is because they know they can get better results with a product of their own. However; no one has posted any dyno results or 1/4 times or said that they noticed a huge difference. Instead everyone keeps talking about how good it looks. I mean, it looks good, but it's not worth spending money on if it doesn't produce results.
are you expecting a change in cold air intake tubing to give you 20HP or something? if the tube is colder, the engine is sucking in cooler, denser air...which obviously will result in some gains...and obviously its going to be very very minimal gain

Old 05-15-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm needing a caw

More importantly, DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE VS WHAT? You mean a diff inbetween a Cattman cai vs mine? Or the one you listed in your sig?? Be specific.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by blacks92seAuto
are you expecting a change in cold air intake tubing to give you 20HP or something? if the tube is colder, the engine is sucking in cooler, denser air...which obviously will result in some gains...and obviously its going to be very very minimal gain
I'm expecting to "feel" a "difference" in "performance" if i were to choose his CAI vs. one I can buy online. Did IQ's, just drop sharply in the past few posts or is it just me?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:36 PM

if you want a cooler tubing the best bet would be PVC piping or carbon fiber because of the way they don't absorb heat as much as metal. Also if someone researched and some how figure out the best amount of turbulance/vortec effect to have coming in to the intake manifold and somehow built a special designed intake instead of just piping. why not just have individial throttle body set-up with stacks, imagine how loud that would be.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:47 PM

More importantly, DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE VS WHAT? You mean a diff inbetween a Cattman cai vs mine? Or the one you listed in your sig?? Be specific.
Cattman, INJEN, it's all the same to me. Their design is pretty much identical. I'm just curious 'cause your design looks very improved over the one I bought on EBAY, however, will it produce results? It "LOOKS" like it might; but i wouldn't know, so I'm asking the maker.
Everyone is quick to jump in and defend you and post statements like "Of course it will produce results, look at where it's at!"
I could care less what it looks like and where it is. I just wanna know 2 things: Does it perform and How much?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Way out West

I think the biggest difference is the area that you have to cut. In Jeff's model, you cut a small amount under the headlight. In the ebay version, you cut a pretty big hole in the sheetmetal closer to the cabin.

I think the difference as far as performance in Jeff's vs. ebay is minimal, if any. If you already have an ebay one (and have cut the hole in your enging bay) I would probably just leave it alone. IMO, it wouldn't be worth it to cut some more out of your engine bay.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:43 PM

jeff do you have anymore laying around pm me if you do the whole set up
Old 05-15-2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
I think the biggest difference is the area that you have to cut. In Jeff's model, you cut a small amount under the headlight. In the ebay version, you cut a pretty big hole in the sheetmetal closer to the cabin.

I think the difference as far as performance in Jeff's vs. ebay is minimal, if any. If you already have an ebay one (and have cut the hole in your enging bay) I would probably just leave it alone. IMO, it wouldn't be worth it to cut some more out of your engine bay.
Now cutting a hole in the engine bay I have not done. Don't be shy and keep secrets from me
Give me the link that shows where to cut or if you have some pics of your own to show, let me know.
I can't really see in Jeff's pics, exactly what he cut.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Way out West

No pics from me. Ask Jeff or Shawn for some better ones. My CAI is sitting in my garage, except for the mid-pipe, which is installed. I inspected Shawn's and liked it, so I bought one from Jeff. Jeff doesn't f'uck around when it comes to making stuff. Look at his BBK. How many .org members have that? He has more experience with VEs than probably anyone on this board. I would (and did) trust him with my car ahead of a Nissan dealership.

Anyway, I haven't had time to mess with my CAI and really I am in no hurry. I have only driven my Maxima maybe 200-300 miles this year. I finally got around to installing the exhaust which had sat in my garage since last summer and the UDP, which I got in early fall. Maybe by the summer I will put the CAI in. I was going to order a new filter and silicon couplers instead of using radiator hose and that's kind of why I have been putting it off.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by JDwyer2821
if you want a cooler tubing the best bet would be PVC piping or carbon fiber because of the way they don't absorb heat as much as metal. Also if someone researched and some how figure out the best amount of turbulance/vortec effect to have coming in to the intake manifold and somehow built a special designed intake instead of just piping. why not just have individial throttle body set-up with stacks, imagine how loud that would be.
Jon's back!

Cattman, INJEN, it's all the same to me. Their design is pretty much identical. I'm just curious 'cause your design looks very improved over the one I bought on EBAY, however, will it produce results? It "LOOKS" like it might; but i wouldn't know, so I'm asking the maker.
Everyone is quick to jump in and defend you and post statements like "Of course it will produce results, look at where it's at!"
I could care less what it looks like and where it is. I just wanna know 2 things: Does it perform and How much?
Cattman and Injen do not share the same designs.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:03 AM

Now cutting a hole in the engine bay I have not done. Don't be shy and keep secrets from me
Give me the link that shows where to cut or if you have some pics of your own to show, let me know.
I can't really see in Jeff's pics, exactly what he cut.
What secrets? This has been discussed a number of times...

Click the link in the first post of the thread, look at picture 004, you should be able to see where Jeff trimmed. It's a very small straight forward cut and its very easy to do with a 4" grinder. You could probably do it with a Dremel if thats all you had.

Benefits to Jeff's
- Easier to install
- Less cutting (and easier to cut). The part you cut is less noticeable.
- Made of thicker 3" mandel bent steel

I can tell you that when I'm driving my car I can pull over at any time, pop the hood and the intake tubing will be very very cold. I noticed both differences in sound and performance, and the only intake setup I have not run is the WarpSpeed/Cattman where you have to cut a huge hole in your inner fender.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:42 AM

Jon's back!

Cattman and Injen do not share the same designs.

my freind's CAI hole he cut was so big he had to make a custom battery tray hold down
Old 05-16-2005, 08:33 AM

I know of this one guy who cut his radiator support so he could fit bimmers

heeheheh

I dont know how you could manage that one, thats really strange.
thats crazy also this seems like a long thread for a CAI discussion. it's almost like people don't understand there talking about maybe a few hp improvement . you MOST likely won't feel a differance. the main ?'s should be about price/Quility/Material and is this money going towards supporting someones evil conquest to take over the world
Old 05-16-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm needing a caw

What Chris has stated is true. I think most people understand as it's been stated more than once. If you and Mr. Gone have some personal things to discuss, please take it to PM or email.

So in summary, as no one reads the whole thread it seems:

1) I like mine because it was less cutting.
2) It puts the filter in a MUCH cleaner place to draw air from. Ever see what a fender cai filter looks like?? Nasty.
3) Draws air from an area higher up for more protection from water etc..Even after a rainy day, that area is bone dry.
4) Performance over a Place racing/Cattman type? Probably none. But I don't like the Injen style at all.
5) I never really made any $ on these things, so I'll consider just posting up instructions. Anyone that paid close attention to the pics and discussion could figure it out anyway. But if you guys still insist on me making some, I'll consider it.

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE

Originally Posted by JDwyer2821
thats crazy also this seems like a long thread for a CAI discussion. it's almost like people don't understand there talking about maybe a few hp improvement . you MOST likely won't feel a differance. the main ?'s should be about price/Quility/Material and is this money going towards supporting someones evil conquest to take over the world
Old 05-16-2005, 08:57 AM

I understand all your points and if I had a max I would choice ur design. for those that have no CAI, they never have tried cutting the big hole or seen the dirt on a PR CAI. I think ur very knowledgeful and have thought this all the way tru. i would vouch for this CAI for u if needed becuase of ur past goals that u followed thru with out hacking
Old 05-16-2005, 06:38 PM

I stole this idea for a cold air intake and i made my own today. I used 3 inch PVC piping, and some other odds and ends and made an incredibly awesome intake. I spent about 50 dollars total, including some parts i ended up not needing. I would definitely say that this is an awesome set up and everyone should at least give it a try if you are looking for a fairly inexpensive upgrade.