3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

exuast Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 01:25 PM
Tomo

well i don't have my car right now but i plan on doing some sort of exuast system during winter brake. so here are my Q's
Keep in mind i don't want to loose any low end power. I have a y2k muffler im going to install, how much will cat back piping help low end. IF i do ge a cat-back i will defently get a cat at the same time, what is a good brand of cat besides RT.
Would a custom Y CAt and muffler be better than: Cat cat-back piping and muffler???????
Im not trying to spend a lot of money!

Old 09-24-2000, 02:00 PM

If your not worried about laws I'd loose thae cat and run straight pipe.The 2k muffler still has exhaust restriction and you'll lose power. Get a performance muffler and a y-pipe instead of the cat.My entire exhaust is custom but this is the way I would go for the most power.If your not cool about the loosing the cat idea then get another one. Your cat is more restrictive than your muffler so if you can get rid of that then your in buisness.
Old 09-24-2000, 02:13 PM
Tomo

I don't want my low end to sufefr. i think takign away the CAT(which i won't do) would hurt that, im also keeping the Y2K muffler. how much will new piping help low end if at all?

Old 09-24-2000, 04:56 PM

What do you mean exactly when you say you want to run new piping?Do you want to run 2.5in piping or just replace the original.Either way I think that replacing the stock wouldn't help at all.You might think that taking the cat off will make you lose low end power but thats not always true.Depending on other engine mods it could help you or hurt you.When I took mine off I gained low end power.I could take my friends off the line when I couldn't before.I guess you just got to match up your exhaust work with your intake work.
Old 09-24-2000, 06:37 PM
Tomo

I have a pop-charger right now. tryign to convbert to a CAI.

Old 11-02-2001, 06:56 PM

REPOST hehe
Old 11-03-2001, 08:50 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Thanks Nismo for reposting>>>

Originally posted by Nismo87SE REPOST hehe
Because if you had not I probably would have not seen this thread.
Tomo what's up, the 2K muffler you're talking about isn't the one you sold me is it? I wouldn't think so. Did you get another one? Anyway here is my opinion. Needless to say I've spent alot of money to get my exhaust sounding and performing the way I like. If you don't want any excessive noise or droning I would stay away from any straight thru mufflers regardless of who made it. I've had a couple straight thru and within a week both was removed. But since you're talking about a 2K muffler you should be ok. My exhaust mod consist of a

1)Custom made y-pipe, which was fabricated at a local muffler shop.
2)RT universal cat, the replacement cat was totally busted. The internals was breaking apart causing excessive restriction and rattling.
3)Resonator, which was installed to help reduce the noise level from one of those straight thru muffler, and it didn't help
4)Finally the 2K SE muffler. which is not a direct bolt one. A little fabrication is needed and reccommended for a muffler shop.

All my piping was made with 2.5". I probably would have felt a difference regardless of which cat I used because the old cat was so bad. Good luck, and if you've already installed your exhaust mod disregard this reply
Old 11-03-2001, 09:08 AM

Re: Thanks Nismo for reposting>>>

Originally posted by CandiMan

Because if you had not I probably would have not seen this thread.
Tomo what's up, the 2K muffler you're talking about isn't the one you sold me is it? I wouldn't think so. Did you get another one? Anyway here is my opinion. Needless to say I've spent alot of money to get my exhaust sounding and performing the way I like. If you don't want any excessive noise or droning I would stay away from any straight thru mufflers regardless of who made it. I've had a couple straight thru and within a week both was removed. But since you're talking about a 2K muffler you should be ok. My exhaust mod consist of a

1)Custom made y-pipe, which was fabricated at a local muffler shop.
2)RT universal cat, the replacement cat was totally busted. The internals was breaking apart causing excessive restriction and rattling.
3)Resonator, which was installed to help reduce the noise level from one of those straight thru muffler, and it didn't help
4)Finally the 2K SE muffler. which is not a direct bolt one. A little fabrication is needed and reccommended for a muffler shop.

All my piping was made with 2.5". I probably would have felt a difference regardless of which cat I used because the old cat was so bad. Good luck, and if you've already installed your exhaust mod disregard this reply
how much did the custom Y run you? i'm too poor to get a warpspeed or cattman, so i plan to go custom 2.5" from a local exhaust shop.
Old 11-03-2001, 12:19 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

To be honest, I really cant say how much

Because when I had the y-pipe made he also made a complete 2.5" piping, changed the cat, installed a MagnaFlow (this is one of those straight thru mufflers that was removed after a week) and also a chrome tip. The cost was 200-250 I really cant remember. After he was completed he stated he quoted the job too low, he didn't realize the work and labor that was needed to create a y-pipe. Of course I paid the price that was quoted, he just eat the rest. What I did was take a few pics of a y-pipe on and off a car to several muffler shops and ask if they can make it. Some muffler shops didn't want to touch it, so I just shop around until I found a shop that was willing for the correct price. Even though my y-pipe is made from aluminized steel and not SS, and it's not mandrel bent just like my entire piping I'm sure the gains are within a couple horses like those high end quality set-up. Also since I lived in a city/state with no road salt I figured why not. This is one thing you might want to consider. The idea behind a y-pipe for the Max is to remove the restrictive OEM y-pipe with a less restrictive piece for better flow. Another thing you may want to consider, my exhaust consist of no flanges all welded together to help keep the price down. If any one piece goes bad (like the old cat I had) it has to be cut, replace and re-welded. Hope this helped a little, good luck MIKE
Old 11-04-2001, 10:14 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Well, it definitely helped ME, that's for sure!! Thanks, Mike!!
Old 11-04-2001, 10:22 AM

Re: To be honest, I really cant say how much

Originally posted by CandiMan
Because when I had the y-pipe made he also made a complete 2.5" piping, changed the cat, installed a MagnaFlow (this is one of those straight thru mufflers that was removed after a week) and also a chrome tip. The cost was 200-250 I really cant remember. After he was completed he stated he quoted the job too low, he didn't realize the work and labor that was needed to create a y-pipe. Of course I paid the price that was quoted, he just eat the rest. What I did was take a few pics of a y-pipe on and off a car to several muffler shops and ask if they can make it. Some muffler shops didn't want to touch it, so I just shop around until I found a shop that was willing for the correct price. Even though my y-pipe is made from aluminized steel and not SS, and it's not mandrel bent just like my entire piping I sure the gains are within a couple horses like those high end quality set-up. Also since I lived in a city/state with no road salt I figured why not. This is one thing you might want to consider. The idea behind a y-pipe for the Max is to remove the restrictive OEM y-pipe with a less restrictive piece for better flow. Another thing you may want to consider, my exhaust consist of no flanges all welded together to help keep the price down. If any one piece goes bad (like the old cat I had) it has to be cut, replace and re-welded. Hope this helped a little, good luck MIKE
hmm. now i just need some pictures of some performance Y's compared to stock ones.
i got time.
thanks, you helped alot.
Old 11-04-2001, 11:04 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Two down and many more to go

Good to know I helped a little. Even though we enjoy our cars it's not a race car where every single hp needed to compete and win. Maybe some day I will create a true street/strip car regardless of make/model and the things I've tried and learned with the Max will definately be used.