Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

LIST of mods.. need you guys to revise so i can get everything

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Donating i30 Owner

LIST of mods.. need you guys to revise so i can get everything

okay so ... i want ot do some mods to the car... i want to do everything at one time too... well except the ecu cause i have to send that in and get back etc.. but the toher stuf i want to bring to shop one time and pop it all in...

so heres what i got well rahter want to do so far.....

1. headers
2. y pipe
3. k/n hiflo stock replacement airfilter (because people say teh stock air system is better... than aftermarket, beside si can always put this in myself. if i feel the need)
4. pacesetter catback exuast system
5. 96 max auto ecu (i need to upgrade [jwt or jet] who should i use & why?)
6. mevi
7. middle tiallight (im hoping a new center piece for the tail will give me atleast 10 more hp.. j/k)

now am i gonna have aconflict or in compatibility with those parts? specially teh ecu.. will the 96 maxima auto ecu run a 98i30 with auto. and who removed teh rev limiter jwt or jet? cause i guess with teh mevi i want the power to build to the max...

IM A NEWBIE.. we all know that.. so htats why im asking.. and i will be having shop do all teh work... cause i love my car toomuch to risk messing her up.

and the exuast.? is that setup gonna be SUPER RICEY....? or a bit deep sounding...?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:58 PM

Get Cattman headers. From what I've read on here they have the best design. You won't need a Y-Pipe because the headers replace the Y-Pipe as well.

The 96 auto ECU will work, but you will ALWAYS have a check engine light because of slight differences between the years. I used my ECU (96 auto max in a 98 I30 just like you) for about a year and I recently went back to stock and haven't had any problems. Get either the JWT or the TechnoSquare. The JET ECU will not give the same gains as the other two. Go with JWT if you want the raised rev limiter, but it is more expensive and it will take at least 1-2 months to get your ECU back. Technosquare claimed to have raised the rev limiter but apparently they haven't quite figured everything out yet. OTOH, the raised limiter won't do you too much good in the auto because the tranny will automatically change gears before redline. To get to 7000+ you will have to manually shift your auto. One option if you can't afford the downtime with your ECU is to buy another stock ECU and send that to get it modded.

You won't have any conflicts with any of these. You might want to find someone from the org to install your MEVI because it's easier if you get someone who's done it before. I have stock exhaust so I can't really tell you too much about the pacesetter. If you're looking to buy a MEVI & ECU I'm selling both of mine. The MEVI is brand new never installed and I'm selling my TechnoSquare ECU as is, no need to send away and wait.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have the Greddy SP2 catback and absolutely love the sound. Was a noticable power addition too. Good luck with your modding!!! Hope to hear many good stories to come!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 11:45 PM

Get the TS ecu, and whatever happen to be people running NO2
Old 02-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Don't get the headers. They honestly won't do much of anything for an NA car. I had cattman headers and took them off. And don't forget that if your not doing the install yourself then the install of the headers will be almost as much as they cost.

Stay away from the pacesetter exhaust...no good and will rust through. Go with the Greddy. I love mine

JWT ECU is a must if your going with an MEVI. If no MEVI then go Technosquare. Stay away from JET

Any shop is gonna rape you for the install on all that stuff.

You will love a y-pipe, MEVI, JWT ECU set up. I ran a 14.1 @99mph with those mods in my 5-spd
Old 02-04-2005, 06:30 AM
Donating i30 Owner

okay dont go with headers on a NA car..? whats a NA car sorry for ignorance... my x-girl wants to buy me something for bday and i wanna milk it..
Old 02-04-2005, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
okay dont go with headers on a NA car..? whats a NA car sorry for ignorance... my x-girl wants to buy me something for bday and i wanna milk it..

Naturally Aspirated, as in it has no turbo nor super charger added to push the engine's limits, it's naturally all power created by it's own mechanisms
Old 02-04-2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
Don't get the headers. They honestly won't do much of anything for an NA car. I had cattman headers and took them off. And don't forget that if your not doing the install yourself then the install of the headers will be almost as much as they cost.
This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say not to get headers. In the VQ35 they show gains of over 20whp and 20 lb/ft OVER the y-pipe. I realize that they have more displacement than my VQ30DE-K, but I cant believe they would do next to nothing it our application. Afterall, they were designed of our motors. Not trying to call or anything, Its just the first time Ive heard this.

What was your experience? Dynos, timesheets? I was really looking forward to this mod.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Donating i30 Owner

see the thign is my X is wanted to get the stuff and i need to decide by feb10th so she can get it for my bday.. who hoo... so i thought ypip was alawyas recomended.. and the headers..
and catback
Old 02-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say not to get headers. In the VQ35 they show gains of over 20whp and 20 lb/ft OVER the y-pipe. I realize that they have more displacement than my VQ30DE-K, but I cant believe they would do next to nothing it our application. Afterall, they were designed of our motors. Not trying to call or anything, Its just the first time Ive heard this.

What was your experience? Dynos, timesheets? I was really looking forward to this mod.
for a 5th gen it is different. On a 4th gen a y-pipe removes both pre-cats so after a aftermarket y-pipe is installed the most restrictive part has been removed. On a 5th gen a aftermarket y-pipe does not remove all the pre-cats. I can't remember exactly but I think it is that the 00/01 maxima/I30 have one of two pre-cats removed with a y-pipe and on a 02/03 maxima the pre-cat is part of the header so a y-pipe does not remove the pre-cat at all. That is the main difference. In addition the 3.5VQ uses the same diameter exhaust as a the 3.0 so any increase in exhaust diameter is going to help the 3.5 significantly more than the 3.0

So going with headers over a y-pipe on a 5th gen will make much more power, but on a 4th gen it is different. It is a combination of the pre-cat situation and the larger motor.

My expierence with the cattman headers is not 100% accurate because I had a different motor with the headers and without. Before the headers I ran a 14.19 @ 99mph after the headers and a different motor (much less mileage motor) I ran a 14.21 @98mph. I go to the track alot and had many many runs for comparison. Ceaser also ran his 4th gen many times before and after his cattman headers were installed and he never ran any faster with the headers.

For $850 and a PITA install, or paying through the nose to have them installed it is not worth it on a 4th gen over just a y-pipe. On a 5th gen the gains are great over a y-pipe
Old 02-04-2005, 11:39 AM

Ok, that makes sense. With the 00-01 A33s the cali spec cars have the extra pre cat. So even with my y-pipe I still have 1 remaining pre cat. I was never really impressed with the performance gains I made with the y-pipe so I guess the extra pre cat may be the culprit.

Well, looks like I still need to get my headers. I know Im going to enjoy that instal
Old 02-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Donating i30 Owner

so as we stand... i should jsut invest in ypipe.. catback system.. and ecu upgrade.. im gonan get a mevi too

PS anyone looking to sell mevi .. please EMAIL me..
nibina@mac.com
Old 02-04-2005, 10:30 PM

Yep, those would be the most effective mods for our cars. YGM about my MEVI.