3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Driver axle problem...help :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 06:57 PM

Driver axle problem...help :(

92 5spd vlsd, no ABS.

Ever since I replaced the axle with one from NAPA in November because of a torn outer boot, I had this periodic grinding noise in pretty much all gears but more noticeably in the first and second gears. Also, tranny fluid would leak out. People said that it wasn't pushed in all the way.

This past weekend, I replaced it with another from NAPA, it still made the same noise, I brought it to Firestone, and the guy told me that the axle was a little shorter than it was supposed to be (wrong axle). Then I ordered one from Autozone, just replaced it tonight and same problem--I push it in all the way, it clicks, but it can be pulled out about 5mm by hand.

I am pulling my hair out over this thing and just want that an axle that fits so I can actually put some gear oil in. PLEASE HELP!

Could it be anything else, ie, tranny? The part number is 9711 for both NAPA and AZ.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:16 AM

Well here is my experience that fix my problem. (Long)

Not long after i got the car, i went ahead to check ger oil level(it wasn't making any noise or anything), when i took the filler plug out of the front of the transmission, and put my finger in and i didn't feel any fuild and thought it need a little fuild to top it off. I then put two whole qt of gear oil in it to make it uo to the level. Then i set the car down, within an hour, almost all the oil i put in end up on the floor on the passanger. Went to Nissan dealership to pick up a axle seal, put it in same thing happened, went back for another seal, happened again. Then order a new driveshaft from autozone, gave them all the info like, SE model, w/lsd, passanger side, no abs, 5sp.... They sent the shaft with part # 9708, put it in , oil on the floor again,i looked closer and i then came to the concusion, that the shaft is too short, the shaft need to go in the tran haft an inch more for the axle seal to "touch" the shaft. I send it bak and have AZ sent me another one, when it came i compare the two #9708, they are identical, i then check Advance, napa, and they all come out with the same part number. They are made by the same company called CCT(Car Compoment Tech). I then went down to the local AZ and have an employee call that company, with the measurement of the shaft, the guy that we talked to pull out all the info and tell me the #9708 that i have the length and everything match exactly what they should be, BUT he also found out the one for the SE, w/lsd, pass side, no abs, AUTO, with part #9704
is exactly 1/2 and inch longer(on where it should to touch the seal). Guess what? Order the #9704, put it in , and leak no more. End of story.
After all that and have been seeing all the post about VE owner have all the axle problems, just make me think the company(CCT) that make the axle sold by AZ Advance and other company may no be make it right all along.
PS don't think i didn't try, i went down to nissan and had the parts department guy(a good frienf of mine) try to find one in another dealship and had them pull one out, and give me the measurment, but nobody has one, and they wanted alomost $400 for a new one. MY GOD.

Sorry for the bad wirting, hope my experience help.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:32 AM

wow...that's freaky. I went with Oreilly auto and the only problem I had was when I pulled the inner whatever, out. They replaced it np. They have enough of them on hand in this region and run ~$65. In essence, try oreilly auto. I'm a little more skeptical of autozone when it comes to reman parts.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:18 PM

I just got a reman. axle, I had no problem. btw Napa has been losing money for five years now.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to try AZ part#9781 and measure the difference at the store. If that doesn't work, then I guess I can always try OReilly.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:55 PM

AZ part 9781 fit perfectly, but my car is still making the same low periodic grinding noise in all gears. What does a bad input shaft bearing sound like?

NismoChi, thanks again for the info!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:33 PM

You are very welcome,
about the noise that you are hearing, are you sure it is from the tranny,
cause the wheel bearing make a periodic grinding noise, too.
Did it goes away when you push the clutch in?
BTW you did fill the tranny up to the level with new GL-4 gear oil ,right?
Not GL-5 that AZ or NAPA sell. I use Redline 80-90(or something).
I think a bad input bearing would sound like a bad wheel bearing but it won't go away with the clutch in.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:09 AM

I just ordered the Redline Mt-90 fluid online, so I haven't filled yet. I'm not sure the sound is from the tranny. It goes away when I push the clutch in. When I start from a stop in first and am letting out the clutch and giving a little gas, I get a bit of vibration and then the low grinding noise. I'll check out that wheel bearing. Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So did you fix this or not?

What was the issue (newly installed VLSD tranny and leaking as well - but no grinding for me)
Old 06-14-2005, 06:41 PM

The leak was due to the wrong axle part number as NismoChi described. I asked AZ for an automatic tranny axle, and it was just a hair longer and fit perfectly. I eventually replaced the tranny with a used one since I believe the differential carrier bearing to be damaged from having installed the wrong axle for so long. My speedo wasn't working, and the grinding noise was still there. If you're sure that the seal is not torn on install and that the axle is correct, I have no other suggestions. However, the axle should not travel more than 2-3mm when you try to pull it out by hand. I think mine came out by at least 5mm.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A few whacks with a rubber mallet on the end of the half-shaft and it's fixed...(wasn't seated 100%)