3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Why Do and Would You?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 06:04 PM

Why Do and Would You?

I saw that one of the org memeber has this "electric exhaust cutout"
cant think of his name he races his car website is like littlebabyweb or something. Okay so what is the purpose would you do it and why? or why not?
Old 06-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

that would be aaron.

The purpose is so you can have a nice quiet exhaust for normal driving but wide open no muffler or restriction for racing.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:24 PM

How and would it just be smart for a person who races use it... I have a complete exhaust (except headers) heard they were garbage) So would this mod be good for everyday driving or what? sorry if i sound dumb just never heard of this mod. I've heard of the the amplified exhaust on like a camaro but not a cut out.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by dkris42
How and would it just be smart for a person who races use it... I have a complete exhaust (except headers) heard they were garbage) So would this mod be good for everyday driving or what? sorry if i sound dumb just never heard of this mod. I've heard of the the amplified exhaust on like a camaro but not a cut out.

did you read my post?

it is a cutout as its stated. In the closed position the exhaust goes through your normal system (through the exhaust pipes and out the muffler) in the open position it goes straight out without going through your exhaust pipes and muffler. This gives you less restriction and more power. I know this works great for older V8s from experience (used to run open headers when I raced) because they like to breath but am not sure about the Maxima since you usually do not see much of an improvement in exhaust mods after the Y pipe.

Email Aaron. He is usually very free with his advice on mods he has done. I am sure he will answer questions about his setup and if it helped enough to justify doing it.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:22 PM

cant think of his name he races his car website is like littlebabyweb or something. Okay so what is the purpose would you do it and why? or why not?
I just received my electric cutout yesterday from QTP. I haven't installed it yet 'cause i'm waiting for my B-pipe from warpspeed. As soon as I install my cutout i'll let you know if it's worth it or not.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i want to get one myself. need to get the most flow i can since i have the turbo on there.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:47 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I got my cutout for one reason... so I can get rid of the stupid ricer loud muffler I had and not get any slower at the track.

I am finally quiet on the street and I can still run my times at the track with the cutout open as I did when I had my straight thru muffler. With a stock Bpipe and muffler, I shave .15 on average in the 1/4 mile when I open my cutout.

5ltr, why did you get a Bpipe if you are getting a cutout? To me, it seems that you are just wasting your money on the Bpipe. But everybody that sees my cutout in person has got to have one so they can be loud on the street. I'm not saying that's the reason you got yours. But, that is NOT the reason I got mine. I hate those stupid POS's on the street with fart cans. Everybody's got one!

Sorry, just ranting.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

on a GXE, its 99% a waste....$100 + fab time for what, lower 16s
Old 06-09-2004, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
5ltr, why did you get a Bpipe if you are getting a cutout? To me, it seems that you are just wasting your money on the Bpipe.
Sorry, just ranting.

The reason i got a B-pipe is because it helped out alot on my 92 5 sod. Max.; plus i bought the 2.5 inch piping, an upgrade to our stock 2 and a 1/4.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:36 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
The reason i got a B-pipe is because it helped out alot on my 92 5 sod. Max.; plus i bought the 2.5 inch piping, an upgrade to our stock 2 and a 1/4.
But if you're getting a cutout, why do you need to spend money on a Bpipe?
Old 06-09-2004, 10:42 PM

I've seen this on horsepower TV like 2 years ago and have always thought about putting it on my car. maybe help me from getting pulled over because of my exhaust.

It would be kind of funny pulling up to a stop light, and someone trying to show off to race and you hit a switch and see the reaction on their face.

do you have any pics of yopu set up?
Old 06-09-2004, 10:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MethMax
I've seen this on horsepower TV like 2 years ago and have always thought about putting it on my car. maybe help me from getting pulled over because of my exhaust.

It would be kind of funny pulling up to a stop light, and someone trying to show off to race and you hit a switch and see the reaction on their face.

do you have any pics of yopu set up?
It can all be found on my website. But here ya go:

Old 06-10-2004, 12:57 AM

Aaron pimping the sunpros again

Stock catback is 2" not 2.25.

Stock = 2"
Greddy = 2.25"
WSP = 2.5"
Old 06-10-2004, 01:20 AM

hmm thats pretty cool, ive never seen anythin like that. I wouldnt think that it would do anything for anything other than a big v8. I would think a smaller v6 like we have likes to have some back pressure. But if you say it works than i guess it does. Id like to hear the difference in sound between the 2 settings though.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:25 AM

backpressure = teh win111

(sorry, couldn't resist from that other thread )

I was under the impression that a bigger b-pipe didnt really get you much
Old 06-10-2004, 01:55 AM

whats teh win111????
Old 06-10-2004, 08:56 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MrGone
Aaron pimping the sunpros again

Stock catback is 2" not 2.25.

Stock = 2"
Greddy = 2.25"
WSP = 2.5"
Stock catback is 2.18". Go outside and measure it. haha OWNED! jk

Like I said above, the difference in the 1/4 mile is small. But it's .15 I can't do without!

The difference in sound is INSANE! One sounds perfectly stock and one sounds like the world is coming to an end!! I might make a video since I know people are interested.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Im izz sexay

Hell I'm interested.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:55 AM

The cutout would be great if you had a turbo on your car, hmmmm. It would be much louder with an N/A though, Aaron must be almost deaf. Here is a link that's in the turbo forum, if you scroll down a bit there is an illustration of how it works on the car.

https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...=313509&page=1
Old 06-10-2004, 12:13 PM

Stock catback is 2.18". Go outside and measure it. haha OWNED! jk
the ID of the stock exhaust is 2"
I used a 5" section of 2-1/8" ID piping to patch some of my exhaust.

2"ID + 1/16" tubing thickness
Old 06-10-2004, 12:16 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by rosamax
The cutout would be great if you had a turbo on your car, hmmmm. It would be much louder with an N/A though, Aaron must be almost deaf. Here is a link that's in the turbo forum, if you scroll down a bit there is an illustration of how it works on the car.

https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...=313509&page=1
Thanks for that link. Yes, NA is probably going to be the loudest. No I'm not deaf b/c i don't cruise around on the street with it open. I only open it when I want to try to beat my personal best time in the 1/4 mile. I don't even open it when I bracket race b/c I race in the street legal class where you need DOT tires and mufflers. I would keep it closed when bracket racing anyway b/c speed doesn't matter.

But every now and then, when I was to get some laughs from friends... I will open the cutout and fire my engine up. WOW! Everybody always steps back and says, "WHAT THE CRAP IS THAT?". When the motor fires up, it's sweet sounding. But gets annoying if you drive anywhere with it. It gets a lot of attention.

But it will come in handy when I spray nitrous or when I go turbo. It comes in handy for me now with me being all motor.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:35 PM

But if you're getting a cutout, why do you need to spend money on a Bpipe?
because air flows faster out of a 2 and a half inch. piping than it does out of 2 inch piping. It's pretty simple. Nothing extraordinary. I'm not looking for big gains...but every little bit counts. I take it that you only went 2 and a 1/4?
Honestly, I don't know if I gained or I lost; it feels faster but then sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure if I lost too much back pressure. I might add a resonator to regain some back pressure and see if I notice a difference.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:40 PM
NWP Engineering.com

because air flows faster out of a 2 and a half inch. piping than it does out of 2 inch piping. It's pretty simple. Nothing extraordinary. I'm not looking for big gains...but every little bit counts. I take it that you only went 2 and a 1/4?
Honestly, I don't know if I gained or I lost; it feels faster but then sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure if I lost too much back pressure. I might add a resonator to regain some back pressure and see if I notice a difference.
But you're not understanding my reasoning. If you have a cutout, then exhaust will travel where it has the least amount of resistance. So 99.9% of the exhaust will go out the cutout. If you have that great amount of flow, then why need a Bpipe? Unless you want to try to gain a little flow while the cutout is closed, but that will only make things louder and not make you faster. ... Until you open that cutout and then the Bpipe is useless. See what i'm saying?

With my cutout open, I definitely feel a loss of low end, but a gain in top end. I've tested this setup countless amount of times on the track and have gotten an average of .15 in the 1/4 mile. So obviously, it flows better on top end.

*edit* I have a 2.5" WSP testpipe with a 2.5" Summit cutout with 2.5" Mccord power plate.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:25 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Video clip time!

http://www.littlebabywebs.com/maxima/videos/cutout.mov

Right click and save as
Old 06-10-2004, 03:44 PM

your tach is lazy

clack clack clack clack [/vtc song].

Old 06-10-2004, 04:38 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MrGone
your tach is lazy

clack clack clack clack [/vtc song].

You did not hear any VTC tick in that video son. Watch it again. Also, what is this lazy tach you speak of? I don't see it. I see a nasty throttle response with open exhaust, so the revs are going to drop slowly.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I have another video. This one is from a 10mph roll. Under load, you see my exhaust is even louder.

http://www.littlebabywebs.com/maxima...ut%20roll2.mov
Old 06-10-2004, 04:58 PM

ooo I like how it sounds at idle but i dont know about the driving part. I have a rice fart can that i like the flo that comes out of it and i like the sound but it gets annoying after a while so i dont know what to do. to still get a nice sound but quiet when i want. rice silencer or what?

BTW how much did you pay? and where did you get it?
Old 06-10-2004, 05:10 PM
NWP Engineering.com

ooo I like how it sounds at idle but i dont know about the driving part. I have a rice fart can that i like the flo that comes out of it and i like the sound but it gets annoying after a while so i dont know what to do. to still get a nice sound but quiet when i want. rice silencer or what?

BTW how much did you pay? and where did you get it?
All that is on my webpage. Mccord power plate on a summit racing 2.5" cutout. I think I paid $115.

But everyone seems to be missing the point. The ENTIRE reason I got this was to be QUIET. Not to be loud. Of course it's going to sound like crap and be incredibly loud. That's why I only open it up at the track when I want that extra .15.

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm
Old 06-10-2004, 05:16 PM

im sorry i missed the point It's just i have the fart can on and I want silence sometimes but i like the sound others. I'm thinking a universal silencer or something.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:43 PM

oh Lord...Aaron done opened up a can o' worms. you know the everyday street noise is going to be the deciding and buying factor for some of the young uns here.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:38 PM

With my cutout open, I definitely feel a loss of low end, but a gain in top end. I've tested this setup countless amount of times on the track and have gotten an average of .15 in the 1/4 mile. So obviously, it flows better on top end.
I agree with you on that one. Untill my car is at WOT, my cutout just makes my Max. feel sluggish; but when I get on it, I can definetly feel a difference. It's the opposite of when I close the cutout; I have excellent throttle response down low; but when I get on it, I feel the motor struggling up top.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:40 PM

But everyone seems to be missing the point. The ENTIRE reason I got this was to be QUIET. Not to be loud. Of course it's going to sound like crap and be incredibly loud. That's why I only open it up at the track when I want that extra .15.

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm

I thought I was the only one to see it that way!
Old 06-10-2004, 11:01 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I thought I was the only one to see it that way!
5ltr, I see that you have quite a few mods on your VE Auto. Are you trying to beat my 1/4 mile times? If you are, then I'll help you. Anything to get more fast VE Autos in this world. But let me warn you, I will always be the fastest NA VE Auto in the 1/4 mile. haha jk
Old 06-11-2004, 05:55 PM

5ltr, I see that you have quite a few mods on your VE Auto. Are you trying to beat my 1/4 mile times? If you are, then I'll help you. Anything to get more fast VE Autos in this world. But let me warn you, I will always be the fastest NA VE Auto in the 1/4 mile. haha jk
I could use some help as to where you got your intake manifold ported and polished. There is a company out here in SoCal that does extrude honing which as you know, enlarges the ports. Unfortunately it costs a tad over $800. Maybe you found a place that does it for cheaper? My Goal is to acheive at least a 91mph trap speed in the 1/4. If I could get that, I would be extremely happy.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:59 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I could use some help as to where you got your intake manifold ported and polished. There is a company out here in SoCal that does extrude honing which as you know, enlarges the ports. Unfortunately it costs a tad over $800. Maybe you found a place that does it for cheaper? My Goal is to acheive at least a 91mph trap speed in the 1/4. If I could get that, I would be extremely happy.
I did it all myself. And let me tell you, porting your upper and lower intake manifold will NOT help your 1/4 mile times. It will simply make you lose low end and gain a little top end. Overall, I did not get any slower or faster in the 1/4 mile. And everyone here knows that I have a very consistant car that I use for bracket racing.

So, my advice, do not port your upper or lower intake manifold. But DO port your throttle body and match your upper intake to that. Refer to my webpage in the Pictures section for a full write up on how to port your TB. And I also have pics of my intake port work. Enjoy!