3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Ride Quality on 17" Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ride Quality on 17" Wheels

This is probably a stoopid question...

I've got a '94 SE with stock suspension. Currently I'm running the stock 15" wheels (which I think really suck - why can't Nissan make some nice looking wheels?), but would like to put something nicer on. I have a set of 17" wheels that would look really sharp on the car.

I know that the 17" wheels would considerably improve the handling of the car, but this is my main ride and I use it for cross country trips as well. My biggest concern is whether the ride will become so stiff that it will no longer be comfortable for those long trips (keep in mind that I'm 48 yrs young and my back won't put up with what it would 25 yrs ago).

I don't want to make any changes to the stock suspension (no money), and really need to make sure that this is the right decision before spending what it's going to take to put new rubber on these wheels.

Two of the wheels have Pirelli P7000 Supersport tires, which are not made any more. I'm thinking of pairing them with Toyo Proxes 4.

The newer Maximas have larger wheels and seem to ride okay. Can I assume from that my ride would be okay or were there suspension changes made to accomodate the larger wheels?

I'd love to include a picture of the wheels, but can't seem to figure out how.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 06-11-2004, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Knight4
This is probably a stoopid question...

I've got a '94 SE with stock suspension. Currently I'm running the stock 15" wheels (which I think really suck - why can't Nissan make some nice looking wheels?), but would like to put something nicer on. I have a set of 17" wheels that would look really sharp on the car.

I know that the 17" wheels would considerably improve the handling of the car, but this is my main ride and I use it for cross country trips as well. My biggest concern is whether the ride will become so stiff that it will no longer be comfortable for those long trips (keep in mind that I'm 48 yrs young and my back won't put up with what it would 25 yrs ago).

I don't want to make any changes to the stock suspension (no money), and really need to make sure that this is the right decision before spending what it's going to take to put new rubber on these wheels.

Two of the wheels have Pirelli P7000 Supersport tires, which are not made any more. I'm thinking of pairing them with Toyo Proxes 4.

The newer Maximas have larger wheels and seem to ride okay. Can I assume from that my ride would be okay or were there suspension changes made to accomodate the larger wheels?

I'd love to include a picture of the wheels, but can't seem to figure out how.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have a 92 SE that I upgraded to 17" wheels. I got low profile tires on in and the ride quality was not affected much. The only big difference I notice is when I hit bumps or bad roads its slightly stiffer, but oh highways and smooth roads its not a problem.
I would say go for it
Old 06-11-2004, 10:04 AM

actually, i don't think the stockers "suck". On the contrary, I think they give better *ride* quality than 17s. Reason? More tirewall/sidewall. With the 17s, you feel a lot more road holes and small gaps and such than the stockers. I wish there was a way I could find a compromise in between the looks, handling, and stance of my 17s, and the ride quality of the 205 65/15s (or 215 65/15) Maybe 16s, but I don't want to down size
Old 06-11-2004, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

17's

i have a 94 maxima gxe and i have 17's with 235-45-17 and it rides very good u can feel bumps a little more but not that much more then the 15's i say go for it.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:01 AM
STFU n00b!

As has been said, there will be a change in the ride quality.

the P7000SS tires have pretty stiff sidewalls on them, as I've used them for a couple years on some 16" wheels of mine. What I would recommend is to stick the pair with tires up front, air them up to about 45psi (don't worry, those pirellis will handle upwards of 60psi without problems!). then go for a drive on a bumpy road. with tires being on the front will tkae about 70% of the beating, so you will have an indication of how the car will ride with all 4 corners at that size.

it's worth the hour of work to try it out, as long as it won't cost you anything to stick two of them on the car.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:54 AM

Thanks, guys for all the responses. When I say the stockers suck, I mean the looks...not the ride - but that's just my opinion.

If I had the money, I'd probably go for 16s and purchase some in order to make that mid-way compromise, but I don't and I own the 17s.

I know all the issues about sidewall height and how more tire provides more cushion, but that doesn't tell me how my back is going to feel after a 300+ mile ride on low profile tires.

Thanks, Matt93SE for the great idea! I'll give that a try. That way I can get some kind of idea without spending the $260 or so to get the Proxes.

Any one have any feedback on the Proxes 4?
Old 06-11-2004, 12:35 PM

Okay, I think I've got the picture thing figured out. How do these look?
http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/623608
Old 06-11-2004, 02:18 PM
STFU n00b!

They're not bad.. little older on the styling I think, but so is a '94 Maxima! I'd like to see them on the car when you get a chance. think they'll look better once they're on the car.

Proxes 4... I haven't heard too many good things about the Proxes in general, but also look at the crowd you're dealing with here.. most of the people on this board are looking for race-level performance, but don't want to pay for anything more than mediocre. so when they get a decent tire that will last a while, they think they paid too much for something that doesn't perform..

I'd check discount tire and tire rack's review section. they're generall more reliable than maxima.org for honest reviews on tires.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Im izz sexay

Read his feedback it's real funny!! Those wheels look real tight can't wait to see them on the car!!
Old 06-12-2004, 06:19 PM
mod or sell?

I've got the kumho ecsta hp4s not a "performance tire" but it is definately a lot better than the previous tires on both cars in terms of handling and ride.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:27 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Here's another option.
A few 3rd gen owners have installed 4th gen 16" SE wheels. Maybe you can find a 4th gen owner who's willing to do a even swap. Your 4 wheels and two tires for their 4 wheels and four tires. In the end I don't know who will come out on top but at least your back with be that much more comfortable with 16's instead of 17's.

MIKE
Old 06-13-2004, 06:04 AM

good luck with that trade... I would love to trade my RER racing 18's with fresh rubbers for the new model Maxima 16's (five star pattern).
Old 06-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Knight4
Okay, I think I've got the picture thing figured out. How do these look?
http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/623608
those are nice. they harken to panasport. very classic and timeless wheel design. very "race."

17's will be harsher the thinner sidewall you run, as has been stated. the stock 17's on newer maximas run proportionately taller sidewalls to maintain absorbtion of road vibration. you, too, can do this if you refrain from lowering your car, or, at least, lower it only very little. if you go beefing up your stock suspension with stiffer hardware, like koni/eibach, and go lo-pro tires on 17's, well, you know the outcome -harsher ride. you can strategize your plan for 17's with a vision well-ahead for the subsequent suspension mods.

loads of members here run 17's without much compromise at all to the ride quality.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IMHO, 16's are the ideal size and look for the 3rd gen's body style. but this is opinion. i've seen gorgeous results from 17's from many people here.