3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2001, 01:00 PM
mmmaxima

i have a '92 SE and everytime i get out of my car, you can smell something burning. we thought it was the oil. it's weird. sometimes it will go a couple of weeks, burning oil real bad. then, sometimes, it'll be okay. i took it to a nissan dealer and got a oil burning chart that i have to fill out every week and take back. they think it could be the pvc getting too hot.
also, my engine has been making a really loud clicking noise lately. YES, i have have my oil changed recently. and i check the level often. but it sounds like metal scraping inside the engine. my dad thought it was a loose belt but it's coming from inside. any help???

Old 03-30-2001, 01:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

The burning oil is probably just an oil leak that's dripping onto your exhuast manifolds or exhaust pipe. You should put the car on some ramps or stands and take a look.

The other noise could be anything. Your description is a little vague

Originally posted by mmmaxima
i have a '92 SE and everytime i get out of my car, you can smell something burning. we thought it was the oil. it's weird. sometimes it will go a couple of weeks, burning oil real bad. then, sometimes, it'll be okay. i took it to a nissan dealer and got a oil burning chart that i have to fill out every week and take back. they think it could be the pvc getting too hot.
also, my engine has been making a really loud clicking noise lately. YES, i have have my oil changed recently. and i check the level often. but it sounds like metal scraping inside the engine. my dad thought it was a loose belt but it's coming from inside. any help???
Old 03-30-2001, 09:02 PM
mmmaxima

the clacking only happens when you step on the gas. my dad thought it was a belt that had come loose, but tightened all belts. it sounds like the noise is coming from inside the engine. it's horrible.

Old 03-30-2001, 09:23 PM
Maxima Princess

I just replaced my valve cover gaskets last week because of the burning oil smell...its been happening for the past year...some days really bad...some days not...i would have had them tightened but they were as tight as they could go,...
just make sure if you get them replaced the person knows what they are doing...
come to find out whoever did mine last (over 3 years ago) did mine wrong....the caps (?) on the valve cover seals were on backwards.
dumbass! my cars probably been slightly leaking for the past 3 years.
Old 03-30-2001, 10:29 PM

Hey Jeff, could that clicking noise be his VTC's? That is what it sounds like to me. But I have a VG so what do I know?