3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

A few questions.....maybe someone can answer (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 10:51 PM

i know, not a good title, but i couldnt think of one. anyways, my questions:1. has anyone seen a 3rd gen convertible? i know its aftermarket only, but can it be done? aprox. how much ....just a thought. 2. i am getting a new job that pays a lot more so i am modding my max piece by piece. i was thinking about general max health first new plugs , wires , etc and my max rides kinda rough would new shocks and struts help this? i am also planning on lowering it in a couple of months...do i need certain springs for this so i could just get them now... also i need a new muffler....any suggestions? 3. i am also looking to put on some performance mods. i was thinking CAI, maybe catback exhaust (does this help)?, and was considering a small shot NOS system...what extra engine stuff would i need for a small NOS shot any? sorry this post is so long and unorganized, i just had a lot of questions. thanks for all the help guys!
Old 04-01-2001, 12:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by rambo91145
i know, not a good title, but i couldnt think of one. anyways, my questions:1. has anyone seen a 3rd gen convertible? i know its aftermarket only, but can it be done? aprox. how much ....just a thought. 2. i am getting a new job that pays a lot more so i am modding my max piece by piece. i was thinking about general max health first new plugs , wires , etc and my max rides kinda rough would new shocks and struts help this? i am also planning on lowering it in a couple of months...do i need certain springs for this so i could just get them now... also i need a new muffler....any suggestions? 3. i am also looking to put on some performance mods. i was thinking CAI, maybe catback exhaust (does this help)?, and was considering a small shot NOS system...what extra engine stuff would i need for a small NOS shot any? sorry this post is so long and unorganized, i just had a lot of questions. thanks for all the help guys!

Here are a few thoughts for you:

1. Converting a Maxima to a convertible would be VERY expensive. The Maxima was never designed as a convertible; I would imagine that making it one would destroy the crash ratings, structural integrity and stiffness... You would also get a lot more body flex and roll.

2. As for the rest of your question, search the archives. There are a TON of posts that deal with everything you need to know.

3. Finally, (I know, this is sacrilege), if you are really making a lot more money, Consider upgrading to at least a 4th gen Maxima. 3d Gens are getting old and high mileage. I wouldn't dream of putting nitrous in a car with a lot miles without a rebuild.

Just a few thoughts....

Old 04-01-2001, 12:14 AM

i figured the convertible idea wouldnt work, but it is a nice thought....anyways, i will search, but can someone answer the spring/lowering question? also any suggestions on waht shocks/struts to buy? i know a 4th gen or higher would be a better investment, but i love my 3rd gen. i have seen alot of people who post on here that run NOS with no problem, did they do something special to theirs? thanks for all the info.
Old 04-01-2001, 03:35 PM
Dan93se

Originally posted by rambo91145
i figured the convertible idea wouldnt work, but it is a nice thought....anyways, i will search, but can someone answer the spring/lowering question? also any suggestions on waht shocks/struts to buy? i know a 4th gen or higher would be a better investment, but i love my 3rd gen. i have seen alot of people who post on here that run NOS with no problem, did they do something special to theirs? thanks for all the info.

Yes, you will have to get some aftermarket springs to lower your max. I have tokico struts and Sus. Tech. springs and really enjoy the new ride. I got about a 1.7 inch drop from this setup, and the car really looks good. I would recommend getting your springs now. Other companies make springs for 3rd gen. maxs like eibach, sprint,and intrax.

Old 04-01-2001, 09:38 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Q & A

Ok, here are MY thoughts, as well:

Q1. has anyone seen a 3rd gen convertible? i know its aftermarket only, but can it be done? aprox. how much ....just a thought.

A1. Can't say I've ever seen a 3d gen convertible, but I DID see a convertible 4 door Stanza once.... I'm sure if you got the right amount of money, anything can be done. But why would you want a convertible Max?? Like Pervis said, the structural rigidity would be totally out the window. It would probably be like riding a wet noodle.

Q2. i am getting a new job that pays a lot more so i am modding my max piece by piece. i was thinking about general max health first new plugs , wires , etc and my max rides kinda rough would new shocks and struts help this? i am also planning on lowering it in a couple of months...do i need certain springs for this so i could just get them now... also i need a new muffler....any suggestions?

A2. Congrats on the new job. All of the 'max health' items you refer to seem to suggest possibly a tuneup, which would be an excellent idea. Especially considering that your Max would probably be up there, in age. Now, when you say that your Max runs rough, I'm assuming that you mean you can feel the road more. If that's the case, shocks and struts should help. There isn't a set combination of brands, as everyone has their preference. Tokico and Eibach seem to be the most popular, although Sprint, Intrax, and Suspension Techniques can be put in that group, too. Look at the various posts to see who has what, and shoot them an e-mail. I'm sure anyone would be happy to give you their take on ride/comfort, from a real-world standpoint.

Q3. i am also looking to put on some performance mods. i was thinking CAI, maybe catback exhaust (does this help)?, and was considering a small shot NOS system...what extra engine stuff would i need for a small NOS shot any?

A3. CAI would probably be the least expensive of the mods you mentioned, I think. And yes, the exhaust DOES help. It will definitely make your engine breathe a little easier. As for the NOS system, I'd probably recommend at the very least getting new head gaskets. An engine rebuild would be nice, too.

But these are just my thoughts and suggestions based upon the research I've been doing. You may or may not find better info. And we're all on the same team, after all!

Enjoy the ride!