3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Auto tranny experts post here.........

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 07:30 AM

Auto tranny experts post here.........

Well, i have this dilemma with my tranny and I was wondering if some of the Max. experts can help me. Me and Aaron92SE have some theories but I want to see if anyone else knows whats going on with my tranny.

As some of you know, I bought the Edge racing TC and I installed it myself. After I was done. I fire up the car and put it in drive. I noticed that while I'm at a complete stop, the tranny will shift from "drive" to "neutral" all by itself. about five to six seconds later it will shift back to drive. Another 5-6 seconds later, it will do the same thing (drive to neutral and then back); over and over untill the car is in motion. After that, the car runs fine. But here's the kicker: The entire problem goes away when the car is warmed up and has been driven around town for awile. Weird.
I figured I installed the TC wrong on my car so I pull the tranny back out and put the stock TC back in, and guess what? SAME PROBLEM!!!
Now I am really mad! I take the car to Nissan and this is what they told me: they said either my TC is bad (I don't think so, the problem happened with both TC's); my "drop resistor" is bad (note that I have put a toggle switch on this to give me lightning fast shifts) or my ECM is bad.
They only thing I can think that went bad is my drop resistor because it is plugged into the ECM and controls how much pressure to give the tranny during shifts and at a complete stop. This is one of the weirdest problems I've ever heard on a car. But it's happening to mine right now so experts and noobs post away.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:41 AM

I am no expert but I have been looking into the tranny alot with another max I just bought. Have you done the tranny diags (look at the stickies for instructions) It sounds like something might be wrong with one of the solenoids located in the VB. There are at least 4 of them. Also look at the FSM for the flow chart that mentions weird scenarios like that. Mine had some positive motion in neutral and was stalling in drive and reverse. I still have to fix it but I am pretty sure it is the solenoids in the VB. I got a code on the overrun clutch solenoid. Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:48 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

sounds like lack of fluid pressure.

safe to assume you put in enough ATF in the TC prior to installing it?

is there enough ATF? (stupid question but want to make sure)
Old 07-21-2004, 11:46 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by DanNY
sounds like lack of fluid pressure.

safe to assume you put in enough ATF in the TC prior to installing it?

is there enough ATF? (stupid question but want to make sure)
OH yeah, good point Dan. Yes, you need to get a FSM 5ltrbeater, since you do all this work yourself. It will save you a billion headaches. I have never found a problem that the FSM couldn't resolve.

Remember that our trannies hold 10 quarts!! When I did my job, I simply put back the same amount that came out and when I got the car running on a level surface, the level was perfect the first time I checked it.

Little note: It took me 3 HOURS to fill the Edge Racing torque converter with fluid!

But since you are still having the problem with the stock TC (already filled with fluid), that is wierd. Like I've already said, and Dave mentioned, those VB solenoids are very prone to go in your car. But you said you did a tranny diagnostics and it came up with an even 10 flashes?
Old 07-21-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
OH yeah, good point Dan. Yes, you need to get a FSM 5ltrbeater, since you do all this work yourself. It will save you a billion headaches. I have never found a problem that the FSM couldn't resolve.

Remember that our trannies hold 10 quarts!! When I did my job, I simply put back the same amount that came out and when I got the car running on a level surface, the level was perfect the first time I checked it.

Little note: It took me 3 HOURS to fill the Edge Racing torque converter with fluid!

But since you are still having the problem with the stock TC (already filled with fluid), that is wierd. Like I've already said, and Dave mentioned, those VB solenoids are very prone to go in your car. But you said you did a tranny diagnostics and it came up with an even 10 flashes?

hold on hold on hold on..........our tranny's take 10 quarts of oil? i only put 6 and thats including the 1 quart I added to the TC. but even if I didn't put enough in, would'nt the tranny pump fill the TC approprietly?
another thing......if my solenoids were bad, would'nt a code come up when I do the tranny test? The nissan service tech. said that my tranny operates perfectly fine. He is convinced that is an electrical problem. And even if the solenoids would go out on my Vavle body, would'nt they stay bad permanently. Kepp in mind the car slipping in and out of gear only occurs when the car is cold; when the car is warmed up, the problem goes away.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:27 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
hold on hold on hold on..........our tranny's take 10 quarts of oil? i only put 6 and thats including the 1 quart I added to the TC. but even if I didn't put enough in, would'nt the tranny pump fill the TC approprietly?
another thing......if my solenoids were bad, would'nt a code come up when I do the tranny test? The nissan service tech. said that my tranny operates perfectly fine. He is convinced that is an electrical problem. And even if the solenoids would go out on my Vavle body, would'nt they stay bad permanently. Kepp in mind the car slipping in and out of gear only occurs when the car is cold; when the car is warmed up, the problem goes away.
You are telling me that you dropped your tranny, replaced the TC by yourself, but you didn't check the tranny fluid level after the job?

The fluid level needs to be right or it will cause problems.

In the FSM, it says to fill the TC with 1 liter of fluid. That is enough to just get it started. If you put too much fluid in, it's no big deal.

Check your fluid level. And buy a FSM!!! You need it bad.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:57 PM

no intention to take anyones thread but where can a new drop resistor be found and 5 ltr. could you PM me about the switch for quicker shifts

Chad