3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Radiator Flush?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 03:28 PM
94c Big Max

Radiator Flush?

I got a Prestone flush kit from autozone but it only comes with adapter to connect to the hoses that run back and forth between engine block and heater core. Have any of you done this before and how did you do it cuz the instruction sucks ball? It mentioned inlet and outlet hoses, how do I know which one of the hoses connecting to the heater core is inlet or return using references to the heater control valve? And where do I stick the garden hoses to? Should leave the car one once I got everything hooked up so that the thermostat would open or don't worry about it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:33 PM

when i did my radiator flush, i did the the lazy azz way. The steps i used are as follows.

1. put a drain pan under ur radiator's drain valve. it should have this little hose thing sticking down the splash guard. And open up ur radiator cap...

2. Open the drain valve by turning it(i forgot the direction, but check owners manual.) Becareful not to turn the bit where the little plastic hose comes out, if u turn the plastic hose out of the hole ur dirty coolant is gonna end up all over ur garage floor. Wait for it to drain. then pour the dirty coolant in a safe container.

3. Close the valve up and stick ur garden hose in where u had ur radiator cap and start filling it with water. When it's filled up, drain it all out into the drain pan and dispose of it properly with ur dirty coolant.

4. With the valve still open, keep on running ur garden hose into the radiator and watch the water till it comes out clear at the bottom.

5. mix a solution of 50% coolant and 50% distilled water in a container. close up the drain valve and pour the coolant/distilled water solution into the radiator. mix some more in the container and pour untill u've filled up ur radiator to proper levels.

6. with the radiator cap still OFF, start ur engine and turn ur heater to hotest and fan speed to highest for a little while until the engine reaches normal operating temperatures. The air bubbles trapped in the radiator should pop out and the coolant level drops. fill it up to proper levels again and put the cap back on.

7. mix some more coolant/distilled water solution and fill ur coolant reservoir to proper levels...

That's the lazy azz's way of doing it. if u want to do this right, u're supposed to take off the hoses connected to the engine. so here are some info for u if u want to do it right..

the hose on the top side of the radiator going to the engine is the engine>radiator coolant pipe.. the one on the bottom right next to the drain vavle is the radiator>engine pipe..

i think u're supposed to take off the radiator>engine pipe and open yet another valve on the underside of the engine to fully drain all the coolant in the system. Have fun flushing...
Old 07-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Getting back to his roots

If you don't want to use the flush kit, drain the radiator, fill with water, run engine, drain radiator, and continue ad naseum until the drained fluid is clear. Then, with the radiator drained, add 100% coolant. There is still a fair amount of liquid in the engine block, and so adding pure coolant to the radiator should achieve a 50/50 mix overall. After I get the BBK installed, I'll probly do a flush later on in the summer (I'm gonna buy an extra length of heater hose so I don't have to cut my current one).
Old 07-22-2004, 05:20 PM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by MaxNub91

6. with the radiator cap still OFF, start ur engine and turn ur heater to hotest and fan speed to highest for a little while until the engine reaches normal operating temperatures. The air bubbles trapped in the radiator should pop out and the coolant level drops. fill it up to proper levels again and put the cap back on.
thanks for the suggestion, guys.

to MaxNub91: if you take the cap off and run the engine with the vehicle on the ground as you've mentioned, would that be problematic because coolant is going to shoot all over? or would you have to jack the car up? if you jack the car up, then how high did you jacked it up on the front?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by MaxNub91
You should actually leave your fan off. By turning on your fan, you're drawing air past the heat core, thus cooling the coolant. Not by much granted. But you'll gain heat faster if left off. And don't worry about jacking up the car or the bubbles. The bubbles will clear out due to the pressure from the water pump. And you won't notice anything at the rad cap opening other than the coolant moving and lowering as the system fills up.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:36 PM

i did mine the same as mizzeree but i filled mine with 50/50 and not all coolant...add the coolant first...then fill the rest up with water...and there is a bleed valve located just on top of the pcv valve...when water just starts to tricke out of the bleed valve...you have a perfect 50/50 mixture...you dont have to listen to me but i did mine over 4 months ago and ive never over heated once and my temp. gauge is reading just below the halfway mark that it should be at
Old 07-23-2004, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
You should actually leave your fan off. By turning on your fan, you're drawing air past the heat core, thus cooling the coolant. Not by much granted. But you'll gain heat faster if left off. And don't worry about jacking up the car or the bubbles. The bubbles will clear out due to the pressure from the water pump. And you won't notice anything at the rad cap opening other than the coolant moving and lowering as the system fills up.
actually i remember i read from a tutorial or the owners manual that u're supposed to turn up the heat and turn on the fan for whatever reason they had.. but i'm pretty sure that was part of the proceedure..

btw, u don't really need to jack ur car up for this.. but if u want to open up the drain valve on the engine as well, u'll gain better access jacking it up, but that's really about it...
u can reach the radiator drain plug by just reaching ur arm down the radiator, my arm was a little big for reaching down there. when i turned and wiggled my arm in there, things on the engine gave me 5 large scratches and the scars are still here... =(
Old 07-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Lil 8

yea dont turn the fan or heater on it will bypass the heater core taking longer to reach operating temp. so leave fan off.