3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anyone replaced a core support?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Anyone replaced a core support?

I need to replace my core support, but it's looking challenging.

On the driver's side, the fender area for the core support is wrinkled in, and the support itself is pretty well mangled. I have already cut off the old core support and I'm stuck on what to do with a replacement.

For anyone with body experience: How would I go about repairing this? I have a parts car available, so would I measure part of the fender support, cut it with a torch and re-weld it, or should I try to pull the fender support straight and weld the new core support on?

I know it's hard to envision this, but I'll try to get pics later today.

edit: n/m I have some good ones from when I wrecked it.

Here
and here

My supra has come down with severe rod knock, so I'm trying to get this one on the road again while I do a bottom end rebuild.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When I did mine, I just bent it back in place. Looks like you might wanna just try that and if it doesn't work, cut off a section and weld it in. Make sure its welded in before the strut tower though
Old 08-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Spipedong90
I need to replace my core support, but it's looking challenging.

On the driver's side, the fender area for the core support is wrinkled in, and the support itself is pretty well mangled. I have already cut off the old core support and I'm stuck on what to do with a replacement.

For anyone with body experience: How would I go about repairing this? I have a parts car available, so would I measure part of the fender support, cut it with a torch and re-weld it, or should I try to pull the fender support straight and weld the new core support on?

I know it's hard to envision this, but I'll try to get pics later today.

edit: n/m I have some good ones from when I wrecked it.

Here
and here

My supra has come down with severe rod knock, so I'm trying to get this one on the road again while I do a bottom end rebuild.
OK the easiest thing to do so that you dont have to worry about measuring and such would be to get a spot weld cutter and cut all the spot welds out of the parts car support (where the support meets the rest of the car) and do the same on your car and weld it in. All you have to do is go back over the spot welds with a tack weld and you are set.

Here are some picks that show where a couple of spot welds are on the support. Just look for others like that. This is the long BUT CORRECT way of doing it.

and here is a picture of my spot weld cutter. One of the best things I have gotten...that and an air drill cut throught the welds pretty fast on my parts car quarter...just be sure to keep oil on the spot you are cutting so you dont burn up the bit.

I got the cutter from eastwood.

edit...I would try and pull it out first. If all else fails then go to cutting the spot welds out.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the informative post... Now If the driver's side fender support is pressed in, does the same cut and tack method work for that piece too?

On a side note, I got the car running last night at least. The radiator is tied in with some custom backets right now... The main problem is that the car is out of town about 25 miles, so that means its 25 miles from the parts car, people that will help, and most of my tools. Current plan is to make the thing driveable, but not finished and bring it into town where I can do proper work on it.

Oh, and this MAF sensor still works
http://ghettomods.net/gallery/bullsht/100_1663
Old 08-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Thanks for the informative post... Now If the driver's side fender support is pressed in, does the same cut and tack method work for that piece too?

On a side note, I got the car running last night at least. The radiator is tied in with some custom backets right now... The main problem is that the car is out of town about 25 miles, so that means its 25 miles from the parts car, people that will help, and most of my tools. Current plan is to make the thing driveable, but not finished and bring it into town where I can do proper work on it.

yeah pretty much. Our cars as well as most new ones are just put together by a bunch of spot welds. Just find the spotwelds and go to cutting. There will probably be other support pieces and such that you may have to cut but just check everything out really well and get a good idea how it is all put together before you go to cutting.

It is amazing that maf sensor works LOL.

Good luck getting it back home.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:15 AM
STFU n00b!

sure it works! the sensor is inside the broken part, so it's still metering the air.. it's just ugly.

duct tape the crap out of that thing so you don't suck junk into the engine tho.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:20 AM

I was just going to replace it with my extra one, but I might file the outside so I can clamp a hose directly to the outside of it..

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
sure it works! the sensor is inside the broken part, so it's still metering the air.. it's just ugly.

duct tape the crap out of that thing so you don't suck junk into the engine tho.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Matt93SE

yeah but I figured it took such a hit that it would mess up the sensor.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IBcrapgetsinthetypeRengine

Originally Posted by awsm66
yeah but I figured it took such a hit that it would mess up the sensor.
it would in a 2002 Maxima

Keelan, use bubblegum to fix it
Also now that the car is getting back to stock, take it easy on the twisty road lol.