3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

continued stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

continued stalling

I have a 92 SE with a dying problem. I have seen several posts that are similar--surging and/or dying like the key was just turned off. My quirk is that it does it most with a quick right hand turn. A local respected repair firm (not a dealer) said it was a wiring harness problem that Nissan knows about. Can this be true?The firm gave me back the car and didn't try to fix it. Does anyone really know what the cause is? From what I have read I am ready to try the connections to or replacing the MAF and then the O2 sensor(s). HELP!
Old 08-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Way out West

MAF is a possibility, but my problem turned out to be one of my rear coil packs was bad. My car would conk out under heavy acceleration. I would start with the coil packs (get them tested and look them over for cracks) and also I have read on a different site that the cam position sensor can go bad and cause the same kind of problems. I tried replacing mine, but it ended up being fine and the problem was one of the rear coil packs.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:53 PM

does the problem happen when engine is hot, cold, or both? hows the idle? done tune up stuff lately?

be careful about replacing something solely off what youve read, so many stuff can cause similar symptoms so you really need to start by analyzing until you can rule enough stuff out to make a good guess
Old 08-19-2004, 07:56 PM

It's incredible that these hesitation/stalling threads are popping up on almost a daily basis. I can't believe how common this problem is on the 3rd gen. I had it on my second 3rd gen too. After I replaced a few simple things I said **** it and just drove it like that. After I had it totaled it was almost a relief not to have to deal with it anymore.

People who never had it don't realize how annoying and dangerous this issue is. You never know when it's gonna occur, so that uncertainty just eats you inside. And then when it occurs you pray that it's not at an intersection or even worse highway where you go 70mph and someone's tailgating you. If I ever was to buy another 3rd gen and experienced that problem I'd return the keys no matter how the rest of the car was. And if it occured with my current max I'd probably sell it.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Way out West

There are only so many possilities before you fix the problem. It's not like there are 10,000 sensors on the thing. There are just a handful of them, an ECU, six coil packs, etc. Granted, the stuff is expensive, but if you really like the car, you do what you have to do.

I really like my car and I wasn't about to get rid of it. I just kept trying to figure it out a little at a time. What I could find from parts cars, what I could afford new, what other people here could help me with.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:53 AM

Dying like the key tunrned off used to be my problem. Absolutely unpredictable. Turned out it was the ECCS relay or 'green fuzebox relay' or 'engine control relay'. My simptoms were also non working tacho when it stalled and no fuel no ignition simultaneously. If you see that tacho hand immediately goes to 0 when the engine stalls your bet would be that relay. I would recommend replacing the relay anyway as it is only about 20 bucks.

One guy here had the same problem that disappeared after he replaced a relay. I was also told this relay is notorious for giving all kinds of problems to us 3d gen drivers.

Originally Posted by bhunter
I have a 92 SE with a dying problem. I have seen several posts that are similar--surging and/or dying like the key was just turned off. My quirk is that it does it most with a quick right hand turn. A local respected repair firm (not a dealer) said it was a wiring harness problem that Nissan knows about. Can this be true?The firm gave me back the car and didn't try to fix it. Does anyone really know what the cause is? From what I have read I am ready to try the connections to or replacing the MAF and then the O2 sensor(s). HELP!
Old 08-20-2004, 12:31 PM
smokyman13

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Dying like the key tunrned off used to be my problem. Absolutely unpredictable. Turned out it was the ECCS relay or 'green fuzebox relay' or 'engine control relay'. My simptoms were also non working tacho when it stalled and no fuel no ignition simultaneously. If you see that tacho hand immediately goes to 0 when the engine stalls your bet would be that relay. I would recommend replacing the relay anyway as it is only about 20 bucks.

One guy here had the same problem that disappeared after he replaced a relay. I was also told this relay is notorious for giving all kinds of problems to us 3d gen drivers.
Where would this "green fuse box" be located? I wanna check mine out just for the sake of it. Thanks

Old 08-20-2004, 06:42 PM

Tarzan's problem sounded like mine so I changed that relay today. Same problem. It is really strange that a right turn kills it but a left turn will not. To answer magnifico, it does it hot or cold. It does not do it under heavy accelleration, mainly turning right, sometimes even a slow or not very strong turn. Haven't done tune up stuff yet, it sits there and idles fine. Revs up good and strong. Put it on the road and turn right--dies immediately. This is my daughter's car and now I'm afraid to let her drive it. Driving straight it will hesitate and sort of stall but not completely die.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:48 AM

Tarzan's problem sounded like mine so I changed that relay today. Same problem. It is really strange that a right turn kills it but a left turn will not. To answer magnifico, it does it hot or cold. It does not do it under heavy accelleration, mainly turning right, sometimes even a slow or not very strong turn. Haven't done tune up stuff yet, it sits there and idles fine. Revs up good and strong. Put it on the road and turn right--dies immediately. This is my daughter's car and now I'm afraid to let her drive it. Driving straight it will hesitate and sort of stall but not completely die.
stalls while turning right but not left? weird dont know what to say about that, but this is what the factory service manual says to check when "Engine stalls while turning":

#1: perform power balance test by disconnecting a coil with engine running one at a time. See if ther are any cylinders which do NOT give a momentary engine speed drop when disconnected. If there is a cylinder not doing its work, check Injectors and ignition coils on the culprit cylinders. then the power transistor.

#2: Check fuel pressure. If no good, check fuel pressure regulator diaphragm
Old 08-21-2004, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Magnifico
stalls while turning right but not left? weird dont know what to say about that, but this is what the factory service manual says to check when "Engine stalls while turning":

#1: perform power balance test by disconnecting a coil with engine running one at a time. See if ther are any cylinders which do NOT give a momentary engine speed drop when disconnected. If there is a cylinder not doing its work, check Injectors and ignition coils on the culprit cylinders. then the power transistor.

#2: Check fuel pressure. If no good, check fuel pressure regulator diaphragm
OK. Did some checking and in the mean time put new plugs in. Since Magnifico mentioned the coils, I noticed there was anothe relay box and one was labeled ignition coil. Turns out it is the same green relay as the engine control relay that Tarzan suggested changing that at the time did not work. Since there was no change when I put the new relay in ENGINE CONT slot I knew the one I took out was good. I put it in for IGNITION COIL. Drove the car around and it worked perfectly. Could not make it die and always could before. Wasn't sure if the plugs or connecting -reconnecting things fixed the problem, went back home and put the old relay back in. Died on first corner and every right turn after that. Went back home and swapped relays again and noticed the bad relay rattled when I shook it and the good one did not. There is a small screw on the bottom of the relay that holds the guts into the casing. The screw was loose and let the insides rattle around. Hence, one way no effect, the other way(right turn) the contacts open and the car died.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! Thank you Magnifico and Tarzan and all who responded to this post. How many others can be fixed because of this???
Old 08-21-2004, 11:29 AM
smokyman13

with alot of maxima's having stalling problems, they can all go and try to solution....where did you get the relay from and how much was it...I been thinking about replacing some relays and fuses just for the heck of it...glad your problem is fixed

Old 08-21-2004, 01:50 PM

congrats, funny how small things like that can be so frusturating and hard to find
Old 08-21-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by smokyman13
with alot of maxima's having stalling problems, they can all go and try to solution....where did you get the relay from and how much was it...I been thinking about replacing some relays and fuses just for the heck of it...glad your problem is fixed
Got the relay at Advance Auto Parts. eighteen bucks.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is there any chance a marginal alternator could cause a similar stalling issue? Turning nor temp seems to matter. No codes. Only other simptom is a dim alt light at idle. Also need to know how to check and or clean MAF.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:33 PM

where is this relay located?

for the maf - go here:
http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...3d801f4ee0.jsp
Old 04-20-2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by chip
Is there any chance a marginal alternator could cause a similar stalling issue? Turning nor temp seems to matter. No codes. Only other simptom is a dim alt light at idle. Also need to know how to check and or clean MAF.
Theres nothing to clean. How to check is at www.autozone.com
...for VGE at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/9
For more info, read carefully the first page there, bottom...

Wanna get rid of electornics problems??? clic onhttp://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/14
etcetc.

The relaybox in question for VGE is beside batt, under water reservoir. While on there, plug the box (otherwise dirt & moisture continues its dirty job...).

Old 04-21-2005, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
where is this relay located?

for the maf - go here:
http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...3d801f4ee0.jsp
The relays on a VE are slender boxes on either side of the engine compartment right near the edge.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:39 PM

one thought: could an alternator issue cause the car to stall? i would guess if the ecu can cause the stalling, the charging system could surge, mess up the ecu - voila.
i'm only guessing this because AAMCO has had my car for a month trying to figure this out and they now are theorizing the alternator is the problem. seems unlikely, but i'll let them keep at it
tom
Old 05-25-2005, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
one thought: could an alternator issue cause the car to stall? i would guess if the ecu can cause the stalling, the charging system could surge, mess up the ecu - voila.
i'm only guessing this because AAMCO has had my car for a month trying to figure this out and they now are theorizing the alternator is the problem. seems unlikely, but i'll let them keep at it
tom
Time ? to read:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/14
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/15

Its not the Alt. Still, lots!! problems lurKing. Here oxidized Alt chassis gnd AND supply wire connectors pic, view is from below. See & READ more at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/5