3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

creatin bimmer headlight wire harness w/relay

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 10:13 AM
smokyman13

creatin bimmer headlight wire harness w/relay

I am currently making a wire harness for the install of brighter bulbs on my stock headlamps.....But the way I am designing the harness is for plug and play....this way when I decide to order some e36 headlights, all I have to do is plug them in....What I did is create 4 sets of relays....2 for each low beam and 2 for each high beam.....1 low 1 high each side.....its alot of wires to run just the 2 stock bulbs....but it will work and you can run a higher wattage bulb for a better look.....but the best thing about it is when your ready...you can pull those headlights out and install some bimmer ones and just plug em in.
I was thinking of maybe making a couple sets of these harnesses in case anybody here would like one? I'd just charge for supplies and shipping...cost me about $30 to make one set(4 relays, 3 sets of 12gauge wire, quick connectors male+female, and 2 brand new plugs for our stock 9004 bulbs) to install all you have to do is screw all the grounds down somewhere...cut off the old harness, and hook up the wires, install the power wires to the batterym and mount the relays... or if most people would rather wire them up themselve and I would be wasting my time doing this let me know....not trying to make money, just would like to help you guys out, and I like working small projects

Old 08-24-2004, 07:29 PM

....You don't need realys. I didn't.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:34 PM

relays*

You already have a seperate high 12v and a low 12v. There is only 1 ground per side so the that would have to be divided.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:41 PM
smokyman13

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
....You don't need realys. I didn't.
what watt bulbs are you using? probably just the regular bulbs that came with it? 45/65w?

Old 08-24-2004, 09:02 PM

i've got some high wattage bulbs on my stock max housing.. and it melted down the 9004 wire harness on the driver side light.. it's real annoying because the ground connection would sever when i go over bumps and the connector rattles around inside the socket..
Old 08-24-2004, 10:18 PM
smokyman13

Originally Posted by MaxNub91
i've got some high wattage bulbs on my stock max housing.. and it melted down the 9004 wire harness on the driver side light.. it's real annoying because the ground connection would sever when i go over bumps and the connector rattles around inside the socket..
did you take a look at our stock wiring for headlights? the wire is so damn thin.....running 1 watt more than stock bulbs would probably fry it(over exagerating)......if anyone plans on going to higher wat bulb...you gotta get thicker wire

Old 08-24-2004, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by smokyman13
did you take a look at our stock wiring for headlights? the wire is so damn thin.....running 1 watt more than stock bulbs would probably fry it(over exagerating)......if anyone plans on going to higher wat bulb...you gotta get thicker wire
only the wire to ground is burning up tho. all the others seems fine..yea, i'll be getting a new socket and some bigger wires for that purpose. i just went out to the car and checked the socket.. man is it in bad shape.. it burned a hole in the side of the socket and the ground connector is like dangling inside... i then slipped on a peice of heatshrink tubing and put on the lights so that when the connection heats up it would bind the connection together, but it melted down the heat shrink too..

this is a little off topic, but it's still about lights on our max..
i just did the corner lights rewire that makes the cornering lights always bright. when i tried it with my turn signal on, the fuse for all the illumination and lights(the one named "tail lights" on the fuse cover) blew on me. it was a 10 amp fuse, but i replaced it with a 15 amp fuse then it worked fine.