3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rough Idle and Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 05:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rough Idle and Hesitation

My 1992 Maxima SE has been performing really badly lately. It all started after a hard rain came down where I live. Not great with cars but just wondering if it could be spark plugs, oxygen sensor or maybe distributor cap. Hopefully, someone can help me thanks.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:08 AM
smokyman13

Originally Posted by katiej78
My 1992 Maxima SE has been performing really badly lately. It all started after a hard rain came down where I live. Not great with cars but just wondering if it could be spark plugs, oxygen sensor or maybe distributor cap. Hopefully, someone can help me thanks.
whens the last time you did a good tune up?
spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, oil, filter...
usually something like a bad knock sensor cause the car to run sluggish...but also a bad o2 sensor will make it run bad....does it do it when its cold or warmed up...or both? if only when warm then its your o2 sensor

Old 08-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by smokyman13
usually something like a bad knock sensor cause the car to run sluggish...but also a bad o2 sensor will make it run bad....does it do it when its cold or warmed up...or both? if only when warm then its your o2 sensor

no wires, rotor, cap on VE motors.

check plugs and coils.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:31 AM
smokyman13

Originally Posted by DanNY

no wires, rotor, cap on VE motors.

check plugs and coils.
well VE has a distributor cap? he said his does lol

Old 08-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

well VE has a distributor cap? he said his does lol

Originally Posted by katiej78

that means this person is looking for someone that can point hijm/her to the right direction. not you coming out and giving him/her the wrong info.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:41 AM
smokyman13

Originally Posted by DanNY
that means this person is looking for someone that can point hijm/her to the right direction. not you coming out and giving him/her the wrong info.

HOW is that wrong info?

Old 08-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Getting back to his roots

HOW is that wrong info?

That is wrong info. She is not great with cars. She goes to a parts store and asks for plugs wires, distributor cap, and rotor for a 92 Maxima. They sell them to her because they don't know that a 92 Maxima came with 2 different engines either. Now she's even more confused.

As for what I would check: Mass Airflow Meter, ignition coil connections, loose or cracked vacuum line, any loose or exposed wires in part of the ignition system. My $0.02.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HOW is that wrong info?
That isn't information, it's a shot in the dark question.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:32 PM

I second checking out the Mass Airflow Meter and Ignition coils.

Do you have trouble revving your engine
Old 08-27-2004, 05:23 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

cap and rotor on a 92 se ? PLEASE know what you are talking about before posting information, you will confuse someone and its just not nice. Back to her question. If it just all the sudden started running poorly after a big rain then my first question is were you driving in it ? Antoher thing to check is if its just not performing like it used to does it do it after its warm ? because if thats the case its most likely your knock sensor. The engine has a heat soak issue after its warm. Basically if the car has over 100K on it get it replaced. if the problem is all the time in addition to checking the coil packs (pull each one out while engine is running. If the motor RPM does NOT change when you pull it out you my dear have a dead cylinder.....) check the fuel injectors as they has a tendancy to go also. on top of that double check your grounds as the motor gets in a hissy fit if they arent tight and good. also check the obvious that something isnt stuck in the air intake, LOL and the fuel filter is good. after checking those items if you still have no luck your welcome to ask more questions......
Old 08-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I wasn't driving the car it was sitting outside and in the morning I drove it and it sounded bad. I am having my friend look at who is good with cars. I will get back to you after we check all of the things you mention. Hopefully, it is one of those problems and I can fix it soon. Thanks for the help from everyone.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:17 PM
mod or sell?

it's probably something simple and stupid like a connector is loose and corroded. or, you may have a cracked coil, which would more readily manifest itself when wet.