3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Power Steering hose replacement! *drip*

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 12:15 PM

Power Steering hose replacement! *drip*

I noticed yesterday as i got home that i had developed a power steering fluid leak. My power steering reservoir was just about empty. I noticed fluid under around the passenger control arm, and on hoses near the power steering fluid reservoir. From what i read on some sites online, i think it may be a leaky high pressure hose.

To be sure, can someone verify that the black rubber hose running down near the belts from near the power steering reservoir, close to the firewall on the passenger side is the power steering high pressure hose. It is also wrapped in a rubber sleeve near the top of the hose and silver insulation near the bottom of the hose.

I ran out of fluid, so i couldn't test where the leak was coming from, but i'm pretty sure it may be that hose since it was the highest hose in the engine bay and had fluid over it.

The bottom end of it looked inaccessible, How hard is it to replace is? Does the PS Stop Leak fluids work? Is there a proper procedure for bleeding (if necessary) or releasing air?

Thanks for any help!!
Old 09-07-2004, 05:45 PM

I got some fluid today and had someone turn the steering wheel. As i suspected, the PS fluid is seeping through cracks near the end of the hose like its 'sweating' fluid.

I tried removing the hose and was successful at getting the top end of it off, but the bottom end was a real pain to get to. Are you supposed to get it from the bottom? Also, i'm still wondering if there is a procedure or if it's necessary to remove air bubbles in the system like the brakes... Again, if you have done this, please help!!
Old 09-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a VE but I think the systems are the same. Yes, the high pressure hose is the big, insulated one close to the firewall. It should run from the pump below up to a metal block near the windsheild wiper. Mine also exhibited this "sweating leakage". Change it ASAP because it gets worse rapidly.

You have to get the bottom bolt from underneath the car. A big breaker bar helps.

My only tip for you is to make sure you line up the bolt (which has a hole through it) with the hole in the hose. If you get the Beck-Arnley replacement you'll notice it doesn't have guide pins like the OEM hose does, and I bet that is what they are for. Make a pencil mark on the bolt head or the socket and try to turn the hose to line up as you're torquing the bolt down. The hose fittings are designed to allow fluid flow if you don't line them up, but I was still getting that moaning/whining noise occasionally until I took it all apart again and lined up the bolts with the hose inlets. Problem solved.

With tires off the ground, start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times. This will bleed the system, but make sure you keep the reservoir topped off so it doesn't suck air. I'm sure a Haynes manual or something would have this info in it.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the great info Bman!!
Old 09-08-2004, 02:50 PM

I've got a new looking PS high pressure hose in my parts car. Do you need one johnnyo319?

If you need one, please email me. I'm not on this board much anymore.

lordrandall at gmail.com

Old 09-08-2004, 08:07 PM

Thanks for offering, but i do have a parts car as well.. My bro totalled his 90 Max and is waiting for insurance.. But for now, it'll be my parts car.

Bman, what did you use to get the lower end of the hose off? I tried again today from the bottom and was unsuccessful b/c first, i don't have a 24mm wrench, second, my socket doesn't fit in there b/c the motor mount is in the way, third, it was getting dark.. I think if i had a 24mm wrench, it would be much easier or a shorter 24mm socket.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just did this about 6 months ago. I used a Gates hose that was $40.00
A weird thing was that the store had two different hoses one for the 90 GXE, and one for the 90 SE. I first brought home the GXE one and it was totally different from the borrtom part (the part that goes to the pump), then I went back with my old hose and the hose listed in the computer for the SE was the correct one...weird...
Also I dont think I lined up the bolt with a hole in it, with the hole in the hose......I can tell because I have a whining noise, but it doesnt seem to affect steering performance... AND my steering seems to be a lot more "easier"..maybe just cause my old hose was bad???
I need to know, does the bolt at the bottom (part that connects to pump) have a hole in it too??? I dont want to have to go down there and remove that one again.. it was such a pain...
Old 09-09-2004, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by aminus21
I just did this about 6 months ago. I used a Gates hose that was $40.00
A weird thing was that the store had two different hoses one for the 90 GXE, and one for the 90 SE. I first brought home the GXE one and it was totally different from the borrtom part (the part that goes to the pump), then I went back with my old hose and the hose listed in the computer for the SE was the correct one...weird...
Also I dont think I lined up the bolt with a hole in it, with the hole in the hose......I can tell because I have a whining noise, but it doesnt seem to affect steering performance... AND my steering seems to be a lot more "easier"..maybe just cause my old hose was bad???
I need to know, does the bolt at the bottom (part that connects to pump) have a hole in it too??? I dont want to have to go down there and remove that one again.. it was such a pain...
You must have got the hose from Autozone. I went through the same thing and posted about it 6 months or so ago. Very irritating. They definitely have the numbers switched, and don't want to do anything about it.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:53 PM

hoses

I did my 89 SE years ago and remember the lower fitting was a *****. Don't recall exactly which wrench I used. I wonder if its not easier to take off the PS pump first???? IIRC when I bought my hose, they kept asking me if the car had speed sensitive power steering or not. That may be the reason for the odd hose end.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by lining up the holes in the bolt. I too have a slight whirring noise at times and thought the pump was about to go out.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:21 PM

I finally finished the job! After about three attempts, and 20 cuts on my hands I was finally able to take the hose off 'my parts car' and put it in mines. The bottom of the hose was a pain to get out b/c my craftsman socket wrench with the 24mm socket didn't clear the motor mount. The bolt is right above the axle so there wasn't much room to turn. A regular 24mm or 15/16 standard wrench was difficult to get a grip on since the handle was too long to pass the firewall... but eventually, i got a hold of the the bolt with a 15/16 wrench and got it loose. after that it was a mostly hand turning it..

I did notice the bolt had a hole in it, and lined it up with the hose. I marked the bolt by grinding a line on the side of the bolt had the hole. This was a painful mission, but it solved the problem.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:34 PM

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I'm glad you got that lower bolt. I also used a socket, but I think I had to turn it around to get a different angle so that I could swing the breaker bar. Could be the VE vs VG thing too.
Originally Posted by bkea
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by lining up the holes in the bolt. I too have a slight whirring noise at times and thought the pump was about to go out.
The bolts that hold in both ends of the hose has a hole right through them, and are hollow. As you are tightening it, line this hole in the bolt up with the hole in the hose, and you'll have better fluid flow through it. I took it apart again and made sure they were lined up better, and that got rid of my PS whine (aka "the dying cow noise" ).
Old 09-10-2004, 08:32 AM

I had to replace mine and I use a crow's feet socket and a socket extension to get to the lower bolt.