3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Power steering pump problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 10:12 AM

How long does the PS pump on a VE (VG's are probably the same) last? Mine seems to be making funny squeaky noises when cold. I'm pretty sure it's not the belts since 1) they are a couple months old, 2) I sprayed on liberal amounts of belt dressing to no avail, 3) I rechecked the tension and they are OK.

I also notice a bit of groaning turning the wheel at a stop after driving a while. It's VERY slight.

How much do these puppies cost new?
Old 04-09-2001, 10:25 AM
I'm needing a caw

Hmmm I've never heard of one failing yet but that doesn't mean it's impossible. I've never priced one. Better call Courtesy to confirm. Good news is I had to remove mine to take the engine out. It wasn't too hard. If you get a chance, check the fluid level and make sure it's not something easy like low level. Also take a look at the fluid and make sure it's not burnt or smelling funny.

Note: Hey my red coolant connector was corroded. I didn't have the hesitation you mention but the car seems more powerfull when it's warm. Thanks for the heads up. I took a look at the black one(single spade) but it was greased up very nicely already. I think if the connecter is corroded it must falsely sense more resistance and thus send a higher than normal engine temp. I guess that might cause the engine to kick back the ignition timing to reduce the chance of detonation.
Old 04-09-2001, 10:38 AM

I just replaced my high pressure PS hose and refilled all the fluid that leaked out. So I imagine I have at least 1/3 new fluid in there. Fluid level is fine. I had thought maybe it was the tiny hairline crack on my old hose that was making the squeak as fluid pushed out of the crack.

Note to your note: I also checked my black VTC solenoid connectors and they were starting to corrode also. I think it's just a bad connector design, most of the other engine electrical connectors are of a different design and their contacts are pristine inside. BTW the black spade connector is merely for your coolant temp gauge, nothing more.
Old 04-10-2001, 09:15 AM

Yup mine just failed about 3 weeks ago, in a matter of about 2 hours it went from squealing slightly to not turning at all. It was very scary. Cost about $600 for a new pump and the install. The weather here is very cold so that may have played a part in its demise but they do go on the Maxima. Mine has 144,000 miles too, just so you know.
Old 04-10-2001, 01:04 PM

P/S fluid is like every other fluid in the car, and should be changed every so often. I would try sucking the old fluid out of the resevoir (turkey baster), refill, then disconnect the return line (low pressure) and then start the car to pump the old stuff out while refilling the resevior. (A lot like doing the ATF in a tranny, and like the tranny use synthetic ATF.)
Old 04-10-2001, 07:55 PM

P/S Fluid

Hi Ken:

Here's something to try. I replaced my fluid with Royal Purple full synthetic PS fluid. It is a littl thicker than ATF and prupose formulated. The whole system only holds a quart or so. I got two, and four quarts of regular ATF.

Disconnect the retun hose to the reservoir. Rig up a hose to hose connection so you can attach a 3-4 foot section, drape it over your fender and end into a bucket. Have an assistant start the car and idle while you fill he ATF into the (fairly rapidly draining) reservoir. It will squirt out pretty fast, and foam a lot, but you can pour it in fast enough. If you fall too far behind, have your assistant kill the engine while you refill.

I flushed a gallon of cheap ATF through my system this way, then flushed the first quart of RP, and then stopped the engine, hooked everything back up, and put my second quart into the system. It felt slightly sturdier, and was quieter. This way you will have a full flush, and the fluid may extend the life. If it's going, it's going, and you may as well replace it given how much else you have fixed on your car, but if it works, it will be a cheap fix.

Good luck
John