3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel injector/ignition harness replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004 | 01:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel injector/ignition harness replacement

Hello, everyone!

I recently found out my 89 Max GXE is sometimes rough at runnning. A mechanic said it's the fuel injectors/ignition harness (don't know the exact name - the one with wires going into the engine from thick harness tube ). I went to a dealership, the harness for all 6 cylinders is like 60 bucks, but the service dpt. said it will cost about 300 bucks to replace it , they said it's a pain to do, that's why it's expensive. Also, I've been told that no-one other than the delaership will accept the job on doing this.
So, did anyone replace it himself? Did anyone take it to the dealer? Is the dealer honest?

Thanks for your attention.
Old 09-24-2004 | 03:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you could do it yourself if you have good knoledge of the cars engine but it dont sound like you do so best bet is to have it done because it is a pretty big job for someone who has never done anything on one
Old 09-24-2004 | 03:57 PM

true.. it will take a med-high level tech cause ur dealing with fuel..also ull have to replace the gaskets on the intake manifold..good price on the harness..thinking of doing mines.. what test did he do?did u try pulling the plug wires one at a time?..that labor rate is not that bad for the job. shop around
Old 09-24-2004 | 04:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes it is a B1@+H to replace. It took about 2 days to do on my own working about 4 hours a day. Replacing the manifold gasket is the worst part. removing the fuel injectors is pretty bad too. if your gonna do it yourself you might wanna check out those injectors while your at it. They suck.
Old 09-24-2004 | 04:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks guys, that's what I suspected. The diagnistic is pretty simple - the wire is loose on the connector, so when you move it a little, the roughness would go away. Maybe I'll try to look at the connector itself... Who knows... Is there a way to replace just the connector (plastic plug)? I guess I could get the harness for 3 cylinders (they come in one package) and get the plug from there
Old 09-24-2004 | 09:36 PM
blacks92seAuto

hmm maybe splicing an old connector onto it and cut the old one off....if your good with soldering and wires???
Old 09-27-2004 | 01:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by blacks92seAuto
hmm maybe splicing an old connector onto it and cut the old one off....if your good with soldering and wires???
Soldering and wires are no problem. I'll try to do that. I got my Chilton manual today, so I'll look it up for it. Hope there's something in there. I'll try to do the cut and paste maybe
Old 10-06-2004 | 01:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by thumpyls
true.. it will take a med-high level tech cause ur dealing with fuel..also ull have to replace the gaskets on the intake manifold..good price on the harness..thinking of doing mines.. what test did he do?did u try pulling the plug wires one at a time?..that labor rate is not that bad for the job. shop around
I suspect that's what happened to me in the dealership - they think I need to replace the injector harness while it's the connector wires harness. Maybe I got the name wrong, but that's what a mechanic told me. I agree it's a lot of pain to replace fuel lines, etc., but hope it's not the same with wires. Is it? I could notice, that the plastic coaty-thing right next out of the connector plug is brokes, so the wires go back and forth easily... this might have caused them to partially break.

Did anyone have experience on working on those wires? I'll try to solder it later...

Thanks
Old 10-06-2004 | 02:07 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

front 3 injector is just a harness with a plug at the end.

the rear 3 is part of the MAIN harness...$$$$
Old 10-06-2004 | 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DanNY
front 3 injector is just a harness with a plug at the end.

the rear 3 is part of the MAIN harness...$$$$
Could you please give more info? what is MAIN harness? I suspect it's the one with fuel lines...
Is it worth it to even try to fix it by checking the wires at the connector and soldering if broke?

Thanks for you reply.
Old 10-06-2004 | 04:18 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Spechtus
Could you please give more info? what is MAIN harness? I suspect it's the one with fuel lines...
Is it worth it to even try to fix it by checking the wires at the connector and soldering if broke?

Thanks for you reply.
the main harness is what everything connects to. look by the rear valve cover..it's that big long stick of wiring that is all wrapped up.

fuel lines? fuel has no place in electric.

usually the connector gets coroded and that is what causes the problem.