3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Final answer on VG knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Final answer on VG knock sensor?

I've seen lots of posts regarding the knock sensor on the VE. I know it's notoriously problematic, and I don't even have a VE....

But, here's my question- On the VG, I would think that it would cause some of the same issues, since it's supposed to do the same basic function, correct? My VG is running a bit sluggish, and I'm trying to track down potential reasons. As I understand it, a bad knock sensor will have the effect of retarding the timing, which would make the car feel sluggish- Is that correct?

I also see by reading the posts that the sensor can be tested, so I'll go back and figure out how to do that. Location of the sensor on the VG is on the block facing the firewall, yes?
Old 10-01-2004, 07:34 AM
STFU n00b!

right on all counts. it's near the pulleys on the firewall side of the engine. basically crawl under the car and you'll see a 1-wire plug coming off the block back there. IIRC, the wire is wrapped in the foil heat sheilding stuff. pull the wire off and that's the guy, screwed into the block. looks like a big metal plug.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:50 AM
I'm needing a caw

IMHO. The VE KS acts up more because it gets wet and corrodes the connectors. The VG doesn't seem nearly as suseptible but yes they can fail. The VQ failures are everywhere.

I think when the VE guys clean their engines, the water gets down in the "V" inbetween the heads. Moisture collects and causes corrosion in the connector. If you have ever purchased a new KS and harness, you will find that Courtesy will glob some black dielectric grease in the connector to prevent this. A good idea to do on the VG also.
Corrosion = higher resistance = false KS readings = lower performance.

Also the Gen Maintan stickies has an Autozone manual that should show where the ks is.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

vg ks should be right next to the rear motor mount. it is a major ***** to pull out with the motor mount there.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:20 AM
I'm needing a caw

Quit biatching. It's 10x easier than a VE.

Originally Posted by mtcookson
vg ks should be right next to the rear motor mount. it is a major ***** to pull out with the motor mount there.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
Great- wish I would have thought of this when I was doing my manifold studs a while back...it was probably right in front of my face the whole time..
Old 10-01-2004, 09:26 AM

My mechanic had to break the old sensor in two, he almost gave up due to the motor mount being in the way.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
IMHO. The VE KS acts up more because it gets wet and corrodes the connectors. The VG doesn't seem nearly as suseptible but yes they can fail. The VQ failures are everywhere.

I think when the VE guys clean their engines, the water gets down in the "V" inbetween the heads. Moisture collects and causes corrosion in the connector. If you have ever purchased a new KS and harness, you will find that Courtesy will glob some black dielectric grease in the connector to prevent this. A good idea to do on the VG also.
Corrosion = higher resistance = false KS readings = lower performance.

Also the Gen Maintan stickies has an Autozone manual that should show where the ks is.
Would it be a good idea from time to time to disconnect the connectors (they are located right behind the front pairs of spark plugs right?) to allow them to evaporate some of the moisture?
Old 10-01-2004, 10:16 AM
I'm needing a caw

You can't get to the connector in question w/o removing the entire intake system. You CAN undo that partictular harness connector and put some dielectric grease on it. But I've never seen this connector get particularly bad though.

Originally Posted by ScreamingVQ
Would it be a good idea from time to time to disconnect the connectors (they are located right behind the front pairs of spark plugs right?) to allow them to evaporate some of the moisture?
Old 10-13-2004, 08:54 AM

Would the knock sensor affect gas mileage also? I'm going on a trip to Philly on Saturday with some friends and I want to make sure I get the best mileage possible. I'm going to put in new spark plugs on Friday and I just put in a new o2 sensor about 2 weeks ago and I've never changed the KS on the car since I got my 2nd engine in Sept. 02' so I think it would be a good idea to change it. Is it really that hard to get out though because I was going to try and change it myself Friday after I get outta work or Saturday morning before I go.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:56 AM
STFU n00b!

on a GXE it's not that hard. on the VE, it's a PITA.

honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. you're going to spend $300 in parts just to bump your gas mileage about 10% and save $10 on that trip.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:50 AM

Check your codes first. Next check your TPS. It just might need a little ajustment. And if it is truly your K.S, try going up a hill and it will ping. It sounds more like a dirty throttle body. Be thankful that it is not intermitten problem. Good luck