3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

painting advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 02:21 PM

painting advice

okay. im going to ask a question, being ready for any flaming in return. ive looked at recent posts, and did very little research.

I got my car keyed a few weeks ago, again, this time with a big "f--k me baby". I didnt know what to do, but i couldnt drive around with that.

my car is supposed to be black, but with the aging, my black color awfully seems like its super dark blue. interrior is black and so are the inside metal parts on the door, so i know that its supposed to be black but it faded out big time. i also have a few chips here and there. my interrior is done, i repainted lots of parts, made my own armrest cover, in other words, its a show quality interrior.

When i approach my car, just by looking at it, and comparing it to actual black car next to it, i get depressed. I was thinking of repainting the entire car with flat black color, section by section. first doors, then fenders, then hood, trunk and eventually, roof.

what i did was, sand the entire door, to get off the key marks, but what i sanded with 600grit seems just like a lot of scratch marks. in fact, if it gets wet, it turns back to black. its weird. So after i sanded the entire door, i took out a can of fusion paint, and sprayed it, with intention to take off the paint a couple weeks later, but just to test it out for now. I didnt use any primer, or aftercoat. the color it is right now looks really good, id love to have the entire car that way, flat black colored.

I dont have a garage, or any covered area. im not looking for a super quality paint job.

What im asking, is it okay to just sand another door lightly to take off particles, tape around it and spray it, being outside? without taking off the original paint, and adding a clear coat later? would it chip in the long run? please let me know. i cant get $2000 to paint my car, at least not for now. but the way it looks right now, it bad. so let me know, what problems i would eventually encounter, doing it outside without taking off old paint or priming it.

thanks
Old 10-08-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm needing a caw

So I would be looking for a flat black 3-gen running around in my area?? Yikes.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

that satin color look is becoming quite popular for some reason. I like my cars shiny but more and more people are spending big money on good paint just to have it dull. They even make a special clear that makes the car dull (satin and flat clear).

Anyway if you want to just get by for a while then you can buy flat black spray paint if you like. It will just take more work for when you want to do it right though because you cant paint over rattle can paint with a good paint because it will cause lifting.

You dont have to take off the old paint (I wouldnt recommend it anyway) as long as you sand it good enough.

If you want to do a panel at a time it will be fine to do it outside. The best time is to do it early in the morning before the dust is stired up.

be sure to clean it well and buy some wax and grease remover plus some tack rags.

personally I wouldnt paint my entire car with spray paint but hey if thats what you want to do then go for it.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:41 PM

thanks awsm, thats all the info i needed. and yea, i wouldnt normally do the entire car with a can of spray, but its all i can do for now. I wanted to paint my car jet/flat black more than 2 years ago, but never got around it. then i started seeing more and more thunderous acuras and 240sx's around with flat paint, so i decided not to for a while, until i got it keyed a bunch of times, just triggered the old thoughts about repainting.

again, thanks, awesome advice. ill get workin on it soon and let you guys know how it goes.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:45 PM

did you happen to see the last edition of sport compact car? check it out, they did a wrx. and as for flatblack, im happy with mine
http://www.kickasscustoms.com/cpg/di...bum=28&pos=875
click on the photo for a better look.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:20 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by 95bkackmax18s
and as for flatblack, im happy with mine

yeah like I said I dont like it (just not my taste) but hey if you are happy then thats all that matters (you have to be happy with your own car and have your own style no matter what). I have a friend that wants me to paint his civic flat black and will eventually get around to it.

I understand the whole stealth look and think it can be kinda cool on certain cars but still to me it looks like its unfinished and in primer.

Again I like my cars shiny .

I may be wrong but I think it started with the "rat" rods.

I do think it will hide some body imperfections though...hmmm on second thought maybe I should clear mine with satin clear lol.

or maybe I should just save money on paint and just leave the car in epoxy primer like my door here
Old 10-08-2004, 09:44 PM

I'll be doin same thing bro, not whole car but ill be spraying my hood and driver's fender soon... outside. Not sure how it'll work out but I'm figuring anything is beter than it is right now.