3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help Please..............

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 08:32 PM

ok, my sister has a 94 maxima that is always taken care of, every scheduled change and all the tuneups.-- The car starts fine but when you put it in gear, it dies(except nuetral and Park) It just dies when it is put in 1,2,d,and r. Do you all have any ideas or suggestions on what i need to do.
thanks
-beau
Old 04-11-2001, 08:37 PM
STFU n00b!

is it a GXE or SE? they have different engines.

the GXEs have had a problem dying when they're cold and haven't run for more than a few seconds.. the only way I know of to solve this is to just let the car idle for 30sec to 1 min and then put in gear... either that or be ready to stab the gas as soon as it gets into gear.

if it's an SE, then I dunno. My car didn't have that engine, and I don't pay much attention to tech problems on it, so I can't tell ya.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
is it a GXE or SE? they have different engines.

the GXEs have had a problem dying when they're cold and haven't run for more than a few seconds.. the only way I know of to solve this is to just let the car idle for 30sec to 1 min and then put in gear... either that or be ready to stab the gas as soon as it gets into gear.

if it's an SE, then I dunno. My car didn't have that engine, and I don't pay much attention to tech problems on it, so I can't tell ya.
its a GXE, the car temp was where it was supposed to be and i tried quickly hitting the gas and the car lunged about a foot forward and died. This also was with a loud noise from engine bay.??
Old 04-12-2001, 07:52 AM

any ideas yet??
Old 04-12-2001, 09:47 AM

It could very well be a transmission problem. The trans has a lock-up torque converter. If the selenoid that controls it isn't working properly, the converter never unlocks. This is the equivalent of putting a manual transmission car in gear without using the clutch: it just stalls.
Was the transmission fluid every changed? If not the selenoid could just be gummed up. It may just require the valve body being removed and cleaned.
Try putting the front end of the car on jackstands, so the front wheels are off the ground, and with the engine running see if the engine keeps running when you put it in gear.