3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

need help with the rust recall (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by rrrfoma
You got lucky because in my case Nissan refused to do anything stating that recall had been done back in 1996 and my car just rusted from time EXACTLY at that spot (well ... I had to put a big fiberglass patch where rear left side seatbelt used to be mounted ... it just felt off ... opening was about 5"x8").
Good to know that somebody got it fixed/paid from Nissan!

PS: I even received an official paper from Nissan stating that they don't "care about safety" LOL

have you been dealing with larry long at NHTSA? he has told me about a story exactly like yours.

is there any way that you could scan and email me a copy of the letter saying that "they dont care about safety" I would be very interested in seeing what it says.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:44 AM

Maximaboi,

Nissan offered me $1500 for mine. I have more details on my post. Anyway, $1500 is not enough to replace that car. I have 97,000 miles and it runs like a top. Plus I just put speakers in and a cd player. What else has the NHTSA said?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by rrrfoma
...I had to put a big fiberglass patch ...
Fiberglass is ok to patch holes, if u take care of the joint's rust protection.

...its NOT OK to put seat belts on the fiberglass patch. U must have sturdy steel welded in there. The weld has to stand if u hang u car in air from that point...

GeneRally: I just wonder what US wolves err lawyers say if smbody welds his car, and the sells it, and it gets into accident...
Old 03-08-2005, 07:04 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Wiking
GeneRally: I just wonder what US wolves err lawyers say if smbody welds his car, and the sells it, and it gets into accident...
Cha-Ching!
Old 03-08-2005, 07:29 AM

No kidding, i hadn't even thought about that. Fix it yourself, sell the car and get the new owner gets in a wreck. oh man. If you didn't disclose that, you're broke as a joke.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by maximaboi
have you been dealing with larry long at NHTSA? he has told me about a story exactly like yours.

is there any way that you could scan and email me a copy of the letter saying that "they dont care about safety" I would be very interested in seeing what it says.
I even had to involve a government agency (just to get Nissan to have a look at) - have fun reading it. And ... I guess I can try to find a paper from Nissan when I'm back home ...

>
> Not rust repair is my problem. The problem is that rear seat belt's box
> (left side) is not attached anywhere any more, which is exactly how it is
> described in the recall. My guess would be that in a first place "recall"
> wasn't done properly(?) or it was "completed" just on the paper(?).
> Please let me know what should I do in this situation.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 1:15 PM
> Subject: 1995233
>
>
> > A recall is only performed once since it is effectively a correction to
> > resolve a manufacturing or design error. The recall you refer to is
> > corrosion related and was repaired due to the hidden safety nature of
the
> > corrosion. This recall, 1995233 was announced in 1995 and during the
> > subsequent nine years corrosion would have taken place. The manufacturer
> > cannot reasonably be expected to perform corrosion repairs after such a
> > lengthy time in our corrosive environment.
> >
> > http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/search_e.asp
>
Old 03-08-2005, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
...its NOT OK to put seat belts on the fiberglass patch. U must have sturdy steel welded in there. The weld has to stand if u hang u car in air from that point...

Yeah I know ... I didn't bolt it back at all (still somewhere in the truck ... in a plastic bag LOL)
In Canada, you have to pass "safety" before you can drive a newly purchased car ... so you as a seller are not responsible.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:10 PM

this is the first time that I have posted pics on here so I hope this works

this is a pic of the drivers side rear fender well. the hole is where the seatbelt was attached to the car but as you can see it is completly rusted away and the seatbelt assembly is hanging off to the right.

this is a close up of the hole where the seat belt was. the black thing that you see inside the hole is the top of the gas filler neck. that is what causes all of this. salt mudd and water get stuck between the filler neck and the seat belt bolt and rust that area completly away.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:11 PM

this is a pic of the drivers side rear wheel well housing taken from inside of the car. as you can see it has almost completly rusted away along the edge. all of this rust is supposed to be patched in the level 4 recall and in the level 5 the entire wheel well is to be replaced.

this is a pic of the bottom of the drivers side wheel well taken from inside of the car. this also shows where the seat belt bolts into the frame of the car. as you can see it has completly rusted away on both sides of the frame and I can stick a screw driver through the frame where that bolt is bolted in.

this is a pic of the same area. as you can see alot of the bottom of the wheel well housing has completly rusted away. again this is covered to be patched in the level 3 and 4 recalls and to be completly replaced in the level 5 recall
Old 03-08-2005, 03:12 PM

this is a pic of the drivers side rear wheel well taken from the trunk. I put a ruler close to it because if you look you can see a seam beside the wheel well. it starts from the bottom and goes up. in the recall if there is any spots that have rusted through within 10mm of this seam that is what makes it a level 5 recall. as you can see at the bottom where the seam starts it is completly rusted away, the seam is gone. and at the top the rusted through spots start to get withing 10mm of the seam and run within 10mm for about an inch and a half. this car is very clearly a level 5 recall.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:19 PM

*******************LOOK*****************

I talked with LARRY LONG from NHTSA. he wants me to find out as many cases of this as I can. if you have had this recall done in the past PLEASE LOOK AT IT. all you have to do is take off the molding in the trunk on the drivers side. if nissan did this recall on your car would you PLEASE tell me what happened and how you were treated. if I could get any of this information and any pics would be really helpful to.

even if this recall was done on your car PLEASE take 5 mintues for me to see if there is any rust in that area or not. this could really help out a lot of people.

THANK YOU!

you can reach larry long at NHTSA @ 1-800-986-9678 ext 66281 and you can email me at aerichkid17@msn.com
Old 03-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Moved on to BMW's :(

This is most enlightening

Maximaboi, I'd like it if you gave some reference or captions to your pics -- such as "this is the driver's side wheel well looking at it from the inside of the passenger compartment, with the seat and moldings removed"
Some of those pics, I don't know what I'm looking at...

On the whole, I've been reading what you and Yellod have been posting and it's intriguing. I have some rust on my 1990SE Maxi as well. Love the old girl, but not at the expense of my two dear children.

Keep up the fight. We're with you.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Geerhed
Maximaboi, I'd like it if you gave some reference or captions to your pics -- such as "this is the driver's side wheel well looking at it from the inside of the passenger compartment, with the seat and moldings removed"
Some of those pics, I don't know what I'm looking at...

On the whole, I've been reading what you and Yellod have been posting and it's intriguing. I have some rust on my 1990SE Maxi as well. Love the old girl, but not at the expense of my two dear children.

Keep up the fight. We're with you.
ok I put references on the bottom of the pics.

Im glad that I can help you out. Im glad that people like you are finding out about this when they have small kids that sit in the back. hopefully this will help you out!
Old 03-09-2005, 05:35 AM

WOW! I hadn't seen photos before. That's actually very disturbing. Anyone out there who lives in a salt state really should check on whether or not the recall has been performed.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by yelowd
WOW! I hadn't seen photos before. That's actually very disturbing. Anyone out there who lives in a salt state really should check on whether or not the recall has been performed.

even if your car shows that this recall has been completed CHECK IT to make sure that there is no rust there.

keep in mind that my car lived its whole life in kentucky up till about 4 months ago. and ky is not a salt state. I would be afraid to see what it would have looked like if it were in ohio or another salt state all of its life.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:20 PM

wow ****... that's some really bad rust. i first discovered a patch of rust near that place 2 months ago, but i scraped it with a screw driver and sanded it down to see that it hasn't rusted through, so i left it.. i wonder if they have that recall here in canada
Old 03-09-2005, 08:39 PM

mine is like 10 times worse than maximaboi's...i went to my local nissan dealer...when they ran my vin through their comp they said it was invalid...the guy told me that i have to call nissan hq to check my vin now...i also have rust on both wheel wells
Old 03-10-2005, 03:51 AM

yeah I have rust on both wheel wells also but the recall only coveres the rear drivers side wheel well.

you said that yours is worse than mine!?! I would love to see pics of that. it must be some very serious rust! whatever you do dont let anyone sit in the rear drivers side seat until you get that fixed.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:52 AM

no one rides in the back seat of my car...so its not an issue
Old 03-10-2005, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by white90se
no one rides in the back seat of my car...so its not an issue
The traveling water is an issue: keeps all wet --->more rust, mold...

All cars have plastic inner mudguards here, FRONT. (How about US?) Only some have them at rear, not maxima. So I built shield to the rear myself from special thin steel: rust protection layer and/or THE gasfilltube is NOT open for flying stones.

I have old Adam Opel with guite bad rear wheel wells. Because of the plastics add on rear wheel wells, water sprays cannot flow without restriction. Real rust and or holes exist... But even inspection does not detect that...

For badly rusted cars, I suggest adding some shield after welding worst structures. The holes closed with rust protect 'tar' or whatever the pudding is called. Then oil spray all over ...or should I say under.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:24 AM

While the R5002 recall doesn't necessarily apply to the passenger side wheel well, I would think that the lifetime warranty on seatbelts would apply to repairing that side if it poses a threat to the integrity of the seatbelt restraints.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:58 PM

My car also has this rust problem. Looking at Maximaboi's pic with the ruler, the rust is farther left and right of where the seat belt mounts, probably 4 inches to the right, 1-3 to the left, and maybe 1-2 above and under. I haven't taken the seat out yet, but i pulled the corner up and can't see any rust on the metal there, but I can see rust flakes that possibly have fallen there. There isn't any rust down the edge, like in Maximaboi's pic, only around where the belt mounts.

edit: In the recall information (the 140 or so pages .pdf), what is the "10mm edge" referenced for a level 5 recall? If mine is that bad, nissan would probably just buy my car.

I do not know if the recall has already been performed on my car. How do I check this?
If I would have the recall performed, would Nissan just want to buy my car? If so, how much do you think I could get?
Old 03-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wiking are you saying that spreading oil on the undercarriage will help in preventing rust?
Old 03-19-2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by DGruber 58
My car also has this rust problem. Looking at Maximaboi's pic with the ruler, the rust is farther left and right of where the seat belt mounts, probably 4 inches to the right, 1-3 to the left, and maybe 1-2 above and under. I haven't taken the seat out yet, but i pulled the corner up and can't see any rust on the metal there, but I can see rust flakes that possibly have fallen there. There isn't any rust down the edge, like in Maximaboi's pic, only around where the belt mounts.

edit: In the recall information (the 140 or so pages .pdf), what is the "10mm edge" referenced for a level 5 recall? If mine is that bad, nissan would probably just buy my car.

I do not know if the recall has already been performed on my car. How do I check this?
If I would have the recall performed, would Nissan just want to buy my car? If so, how much do you think I could get?
you will see a seam along the side of the wheel well right beside where the seat belt bolts into the car all the way up and down the side. if there are any spots that have rusted through within 10mm of that seam then its a level 5. if there is just rust within 10mm of that seam then its a level 4 recall.

I dont want everyone that reads this to try and rip nissan off. the reason why I posted was because I wanted to try and help people out. there are lots of people that have no ideah about this issue and if anyone was to have an accident with the rust in that area it could be very bad. I did not want to have nissan buy my car from me, I love my car and would never want to get rid of it. but nissan gave me an offer that I really couldnt refuse thats why I ended up selling my baby.

if your car has already had the recall done to it and there is rust in that area PLEASE call larry long. his number is on page 2 on one of my other posts. we have good reason to beleve that a lot of the cars that had the recalls done on them did not have the correct level of recall done. that would cause it to just rust out again. thats what we think happened to a LOT of cars in this recall. to save money nissan would say that a car that was a level 4 or 5 recall would be a level 3 or 2 recall. that way they wouldnt have to spend thousands of dollars on each and every maxima that came in.

but yes if you car is a level 5 recall there is a good chance that nissan will buy it back from you. keep in mind that I have been fighting with nissan for 6 months now. if you get into contact with larry long he will be able to help you out!
Old 03-19-2005, 03:43 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't think it shows rust within the seam, so probably a level 4. I hope nissan doesn't buy mine, since I got the car for free from my aunt because it needed work. I just replaced the exhaust manifold studs and the brake/fuel lines (PIA).

From the pictures it looked like yours rusted all along the wheel well, into the cabin by the back seat. Is this area as exposed as right where the seat belt mounts, or did that just start rusting because of something else rusting? I'll have to take my seat out to check for sure.

Since I live in a salt state, PA, the recall may have already been performed, is there a way to check this? ie looking at the car, checking online, or will i have to call
Old 03-19-2005, 04:23 PM

a lot of the rust that you see was caused by the area by the seat belt rusting out then allowing water to leak in causing more rust.

I went to nissanusa.com and put in my vin and it showed that there was never a recall on that car. so I had to call 1-800-nissan1 and give them my vin and they said that the recall had not been done yet.

if nissan buys your car from you they have to give you fair market RETAIL value for your car. thats what they bought the late model nissan quest vans back at was RETAIL and not private party value.

if I were you I would take it to the dealer even if it shows that the recall has been done on it. like I said if they did do the recall then they must not have done the correct level on the car because if they did you would not have this problem now.

you cant let people get away with only half arss doing things. even more so when it comes to someones safety like in this case.

I can not stress enough to get in contact with larry long from nhtsa. he will be able to help you out 10 times more that I can. he deals dircetly with nissan.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:11 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
I admire your courage in standing up to the man, but I really hope you aren't paying the lawyer much otherwise I'd just use that money to get a new car
he is he's buying mine, LOL
Old 03-19-2005, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by domlcardio
wiking are you saying that spreading oil on the undercarriage will help in preventing rust?
Here shops do rustproofing, me DIY. With compressed air tools using long special hoses penetrating the smallest corner.

Mostly they spray special rustproof products: don’t do that, these form non breathing sticky that keeps any water under... and u know, compressed air always contains water. Now get this 'rustproof' and start countdown... Always this treatment contains also high pressure wash, and too hasty spray before chassis has dried.

Oil is 'breathing'. Oily metal will never rust. Last summer spread oil, will continue to live next summer: hot day will get oil running and spreading further. All cracks that have appeared will 'heal' and not start to rust as non oily things will. The rust that has started, will stop. The oil will even seep through layers of mud, altough washing is recommended.

The chassis is a ever bending living box system. All weld points are on constant bend stress, hair cracks in paint (also metal) continue to increase as long as car is driven. Condensed water will enter any place inside chassis cambers, its furthermost corners - if no oil, salt in air plus water will fulfil its ugly deed..

The nuisance point is, that for example door outside panel will next summer have about one inch stretch of oily film dust. This is because I one year ago sprayed all doors with oil, and the seams will start to leak on hot weather (those seams that seem to be absolutely water resistant, absolut non rust). To me that tells about the oil creepy POWER. If it can come down those hair cracks, and climb one inch up, it surely will fill all potential rust starting points in inner chassis structures. And where is oil, rust will be killed as air cannot pass through.

Rust comes from metal reacting with oxygen (air) plus water; salt from roads or salty sea air works as a catalyst. Oil does not allow oxygen to pass, water can travel freely. But water cannot rot metal if no air is present. This is just layman’s view, this rust issue is quite a research project all over the world, google it.

The shops typically laugh at oil spread community, as there i$ a threat to the indu$try. U bet the 'real' rustproofing will cost anything from 10x to whatever compared to oil spray.

Those who say against, I tell to test first - and speak later. Seen how a new door with expensive rustproofing is rotten through in two years. This happens in winter conditions as car is driven continuously in/out from extremely cold to extremely hot (normal) garage. The snow melts in garage floor, evaporates, and condenses again with salt on any cold (read: chassis) remote cracked weldpoint area...
Old 03-20-2005, 04:21 AM

no the laywer is a close friend of mine. he is helping me out because he doesnt want to see nissan screw me or anyone else over on this issue. Im sure that he can use this to take off on his taxes or something.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

recalls

is there a factory recall for the crappy window regulators? I have a 94gxe and I would love for the dealership to eat this cost since its such a regular occurance in this gen. I read a complaint from the nhsta site and it said that it should be replace free of charge but I dont know who wrote it . Thanks for the tip on the fuel leak I,m calling Nissan tommorow. I live in Chicago and Ill let you know how it goes.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by mattchew
is there a factory recall for the crappy window regulators? I have a 94gxe and I would love for the dealership to eat this cost since its such a regular occurance in this gen. I read a complaint from the nhsta site and it said that it should be replace free of charge but I dont know who wrote it . Thanks for the tip on the fuel leak I,m calling Nissan tommorow. I live in Chicago and Ill let you know how it goes.

All vehicles rust off. It would be nice if smbdy else had to take care of that. Alas, its the owner who has to deal with his/her rust problems... No recall on win dowsers: Bill Gates would be on hard labour camp if he had ANY responsibilty of the shoddy windows product 'rust' he is milling out... But will not object on that vista.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:43 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by mattchew
Recalls are only imposed on safety items.
Window regulators are not a safety item.
Besides you're "local"
Old 03-21-2005, 07:06 AM

borg warner's ****ty transmissions are a safety problem... i sure wish they had to fix those.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:13 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by mtcookson
borg warner's ****ty transmissions are a safety problem... i sure wish they had to fix those.
it's abusive drivers that are the problem on those.

Besides, they still beat the chrysler or ford OD trannies in terms of reliability.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:21 AM

well I have some good news. its all over for me (at least I hope lol) nissan gave me the check thursday afternoon. I signed all of the paperwork and they handed me the check for $2,200.

nissan knew that I was under a deadline b/c I am going to pick up Maxima-4DSC's maxima on tuesday. I have already gotten the plane ticket and we have both already asked off of work. I was supposed to sign everything last thrusday but nissan forgot to send some paper to the dealership. they PROMISED me that they would get it to me before wednesday because my bank takes 3 days to clear a check like that.

anyways wednesday came and went. I showed up at the dealer 3 times on wednesday and called nissan and left them a message about 4 times on wednesday. the last message on wednesday was saying that I was going to have to get my laywer back here because this was unacceptable.

I got a call from the dealer at like 6:15 after the service shop was closed and they told me that the paperwork for me to sign was being overnighted to them from cali. he said then that it would take a week to process everything and get the check to me. well needless to say I went off!!! I told him that they knew my plans from the very begining and that they should have overnighted me the papers last thursday. I told him that if they could not get the paperwork AND check to me by the next day then I would not sign the paperwork and would start the process of fileing a lawsuit aginst them.

when I get home I see a message on my phone and it was 2 different people at nissan telling me that they were sorry that they basically forgot to send the papers and that they would be overnighting the check to the dealer along with the paperwork.

this was at about 6:40 PM and at about 3:15 PM they got all of the stuff at the dealership. all of that stuff was overnighted from cali all the way to cincinnati ohio in 21 hours. I was happy to say the least.

I still have the car because I am taking off the timing belt tensioner pulley and waterpump b/c I just put all of that on there and I just bought all of the parts from that dealer. they are going to come sometime and tow it away. they said that they are going to use it to study the recall with. I dont know what exactly they are going to do but they said that after they are done with it they will have it crushed.

Im VERY sad to see my baby go. I never wanted to see this happen but I will be happy with my new max. I took off a little chunk of rust and put it in my wallet so that I will always have a part of my baby with me. I know its corny but its my little way of not fully letting her go.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:11 PM

i think that's going to be the same way with mine. i called the dealership and they said there was no recall information on my car which either means my car isn't covered or a dealership already did the work (and incorrectly or something). i'm going to call nissan hq to see what the **** is going on but i have a feeling i won't get to complete my maxima project as planned.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
it's abusive drivers that are the problem on those.

Besides, they still beat the chrysler or ford OD trannies in terms of reliability.
i didn't abuse my tranny at all for a while after the rebuild and it still broke. all i know is that i always hear of bw trannies having trouble. Z's, mustangs, camaro's, the maxima of course, and probably many more.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by maximaboi
you can reach larry long at NHTSA @ 1-800-986-9678 ext 66281 and you can email me at aerichkid17@msn.com
I tried to call larry but number above is not in service (at least in Canada).
Is there another number he can be reached at?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:54 AM

you can try to call him directly like I do. that number is 202-366-6281. Im not sure what you have to do to call him on that number from canada but I can see where a 1-800 number wont work for you.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:15 AM
mod or sell?

NHTSA is a US government agency, won't help a canadian much eh

Quick Reply: need help with the rust recall (long)