3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

need help with the rust recall (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 10:18 AM

actually larry long said that he wanted to talk with him. I think canada issued the same recall. if nothing else he can get some helpful information from larry and larry can get some information from him.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:02 PM

I left him a message. Let's see what happens next ...
Old 03-31-2005, 02:44 PM

Well, after I took out the carpet and what not and got a better look at the rust, it looks like I'd need a level 5. Nissan would probably just buy the car from me, right? What do you think they would give me? Are there any other options? Unless I can get a decent amount, I don't want to sell it, especially since I just replaced fuel + brake lines, and replaced the exhaust manifold studs. The car is in ok condition, but before I fix anything else I want to consider all my options. Thanks for any replies.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:09 PM

odds are that if it is a level 5 recall they will buy the car back from you. first they will offer you some really low number like $900. you should be able to get fair retail value for the car. also you need to make sure that you have at least 6 months to deal with them and a good laywer to help you out when nissan starts to drag there feet.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:05 AM

Well, the thing is right now the car is a quite a piece. Only one speaker works, only one window consistenly works, the trunk's clearcoat is peeling (odd, just the trunk, not even the roof, sides, etc), and the hood corner is scratched. I planned on fixing these over the summer, but now I'm not so sure if any of this is worth it. Maybe I could get rid of it and get a 5-speed...
Old 04-01-2005, 05:34 AM

well as posted earler on in the thread it might not be such a good idea to sell it. you know of a safty issue with this car and if you sell it without telling the buyer you could get into some deep poo. lol. if I were you I would take it to the dealer and have them look at it. see what they say then get back on here and tell me what they said. it might not take 6 months. think if it this way and you might want to tell the dealership this. every day after they have looked at the car at the dealership is a day that nissan is allowing an unsafe car to be on the road.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:59 PM

Well, here goes my shot at getting my car fixed (or bought). I have enough corrosion that my seat belt mount in the trunk is flopping around, and would probably pull off if i yanked on it. Nissan claims to not know anything about this recall, so i left a voicemail for that guy at the NHTSA. wish me luck!
Old 04-06-2005, 06:35 PM
mod or sell?

good luck!!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:11 AM

WOW this is a first for nissan. usually they just try to say that the cars to old or that you will have to pay part of the bill or something like that but this is a new one for them saying that they dont know anything about this recall.

Im sure that larry long will get back with you today. hes an awesome guy and will help you out above and beyone his call of duty.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:58 AM

I just spoke with Larry, and he seems like he's going to be able to put some pressure on Nissan on this one. I refuse put anyone in my backseat until this is resolved. I might as well be driving my Supra if i'm stuck with a 2-seater!
Old 04-07-2005, 12:25 PM

Update from my experience:

I had a stage 5 recall and a few days ago I just got my car back from Nissan --- That's almost 2 months that they had it. Anyway, everything is replaced back there and seems to be in good shape. I've noticed that my throttle response and gas mileage is better --- I can only figure that this was somehow related to the gas leaking out of the side of the car. They said the total to repair it was $3100 and that included replacing the left rear quarter panel and most of the trunk.

Anyway, they offered me $1500 for the first round and I refused. I expected them to go a bit higher, but no they just decided to fix it.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:26 PM

oh, i forgot to add, that now my wife is paranoid about the safety of my ride and we'll probably sell it. very sad. thinking of maybe a 98-2000 altima... any thoughts on the comparison to a 1990 auto SE?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:11 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

the 98-2000 altimas are great cars, i owned one for a few years. the 160 horse 160 torque KA24DE motor definitly gets out of its own way and its a timing chain so no worries on changing a timing belt....
Old 04-09-2005, 07:02 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by yelowd
oh, i forgot to add, that now my wife is paranoid about the safety of my ride and we'll probably sell it. very sad. thinking of maybe a 98-2000 altima... any thoughts on the comparison to a 1990 auto SE?
With the altima you lose a little over 20 ft-lbs of torque. But safety is first.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:28 PM

Whoooo my!!

My Pulsar recently needed some serious rust repair (wheel well rotted out...rear shock went straight up through and into the trunk ) and this inspired me to check my Maxima, which has spent most of it's life in WI and IL.

Thankfully, after pulling out my seat and trunk carpet, everything looks good. There's a couple of small surface rust patches, but everything safety related (belt mounts, etc.) look as good as they did when new. *relief* Judging by what I saw in the trunk (sealant, a couple of weld spots that looked out of place) it looks like the recall was done well before I got the car. Suspension mounts look good too, and the fuel filler is new, so I think I can not worry about carrying people around in my car YAYS!

Now I've got to get the Pulsar's OTHER rear well fixed...that one is rusting bad too
Old 04-15-2005, 04:02 PM

you might want to fix the surface rust because Im sure that your pulsars wheel well started out as surface rust at one time. and with it being in that area I would say it has a higher chance of rusting away faster because of the way that mudd salt and water get stuck in that area.

just make sure that when you wash your car try and use a pressure washer in that wheel well just to knock any mudd or salt out of there.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:50 PM

I don't plan on keeping it that long
Old 05-14-2005, 06:46 AM

does anyone have the phone number to nissan to find out if my car was done the recall.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:59 AM

1-800-nissan1

even if they try to say that the recall has been done on your car take out the carpeting over the rear drivers side wheel well and look to see if there is any rust there.

I have been doing a lot of reserch into this. I have found several maximas around my area that when I call nissan up they say that the recall has been completed on it. one car that I found the seatbelt had fallen all the way out and there was an area of about a foot long and 6in wide that had completly rusted away. I called nissan with the vin asking if this car had the recall done on it and they said that yes the rust recall had been completed on it.

I also found a guy that owned a 93 maxima and he is the original owner! I told him about the recall and he told me that he had never heard of anything about it from nissan. he said that he has his car servised all of the time at the nissan dealer. I couldnt beleve that.

since I have been looking around and have seen several cars that have LOTS of rust even when the recall according to nissan "has been completed" I am going to start out by making up flyers to put on peoples cars telling them about this recall and give them some numbers that they car call to get some more information. I will also post the flyer on here so that if anyone else wants to put them on cars they can. I know im on a but I just cant stand to see this sort of stuff go on.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's awesome dude, just to clear this up, Nissan has to repair my rusted wheel wells even though my car is very old? Thanks
Old 05-15-2005, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by maximaboi
1-800-nissan1...but I just cant stand to see this sort of stuff go on.
Its good youre at it, helping. However, this is the way people function: where ever humans go, rusty lies is the norm... That is why humans cannot save the world but ruin it, greenpiss on the first train. Is Nissan game on the second? I doubt...

In this issue NTHSA is on the right track. Hearsay here: rust issues; almera rear door rust is caused by the user while scraping its window. All almeras start to rust under the wiper during warranty, all "almera user(s) scrape their car" [by nissan]...and ? NIssan repairs them? lol.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:25 AM

they will have to replace your rusted wheel well if you have any place within 10 mm of a seam that has perforation due to rust. the seam is in your rear drivers side wheel well. take off the carpeting over that area and you will see your seat belt assembly. you will see a seam that runs in a curv along that area. if there is just rust in that area they will have to perform lever 4, patch all of the holes and install a plate where your seat belt attaches. if it has rusted totally away and there is perforation with 10mm (1cm) of that seam then they have to do level 5, replace the whole rear wheel well.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
Its good youre at it, helping. However, this is the way people function: where ever humans go, rusty lies is the norm... That is why humans cannot save the world but ruin it, greenpiss on the first train. Is Nissan game on the second? I doubt...
I understand where your comming from wiking but if no one stood up for what they beleved was right and fair then where would the world be at now? first of all there would be no america because we would be a part of brittan. there would still be slaves. everything that we know now would be totally different just because no one stood up for what was right.

I am not trying to get money out of this nor am I trying to bankrupt or hurt nissans image. I just dont want people out driving cars that are unsafe when it was nissans responsibility to fix this problem correctly the first time. I want these huge companies to know that they cant half a** fix something that could end up killing someone.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:24 AM

I just bought a 89 SE auto yesterday and ill take out the rear carpeting 10 minutes to see if it's rusting. I did see rust on the outside of the car (where the rear corner of the back doors car) and some rust on the passenger side rear seat.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:40 AM

Ok, I just went out and saw the seatbelt bolt you were talking about. I tried to yank the carpet off but couldnt so I pulled on the seatbelt thing and it just moved...I dont think it's connected to anything anymore. This afternoon ill take it out and see how bad it really is.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:30 AM

Well I just got off the phone with 1-800-NISSAN1 and the person on the phone said there was no such recall according to my VIN. He said it's possible that there is a recall for these years but mine didn't show up. He also said I should call a dealership for them to quote me a price to fix the problem. Should I call the Nissan dealership to see if they have a different story?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:33 AM

ok so you found this thread.....did you read any of it?????

1. all 89-94 have this recall.
2. it should not cost you a penny.
3. if it is real bad, they can buy the car from you as its not safe and would cost them more to fix than the car is worth.
4. reread this thread even if you read it once.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:12 AM

Yes I read it twice.

Dealership #1: Will not fix anything if VIN is not in range of problem. I can bring it in for them to fix it for me at MY COST.
Dealership #2: Cannot look up recall info for anything over 10 years old.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:27 AM

regardless of how old your car is a know defect in design is a problem, period. the 10 year bs they give happens all the time. call the number again or call the guy MaximaBoi dealt with at nhsta (larry long) and he will get you squared away. what is wrong with your VIN?? and what year maxima do you have?
Old 05-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
and what year maxima do you have?
Originally Posted by tripleGmax
ok so you found this thread.....did you read any of it?????
Originally Posted by johnson
89 SE auto

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:48 AM

well youre the one with the rust problem. im just saying that your car is coverd under the recall. if you read this thread you would know that nissan is giving people the run around on this and that larry long will help you out.

http://www.recall-warnings.com/auto-content-44601.html
Old 05-18-2005, 12:15 PM

Just talked to Mr. Long and im emailing him pics (and post it here) this weekend.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:55 PM

cool. im just trying to help man.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 AM

Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear sets? I saw some rust on the sides but im not sure how bad it is. The only two screws I saw were behinds the armrest.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:24 AM

http://www.geocities.com/craigbraceg...t_removal.html

here you go, its pretty simple.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:40 AM

thanks

Old 05-19-2005, 11:53 AM

ok sorry I havent been online in a few days.

first of all thanks tripleGmax for pointing everything out.

2nd. johnson, like tripleGmax said this recall is for EVERY 89-94 nissan maxima. it doesnt matter what vin it is. nissan is going to try and do everything that they can to say that this car is not their problem when it is. if you read what happened to me and to other people on here nissan is trying to say that we have to pay to have it fixed, the car is to old, there is no recall out for that car, ext, ext, ext....

this IS NISSANS PROBLEM!! if your seatbelt is already rusted away then take pics and take it to the local nissan dealer. mr. long will be able to advise you if and when you run into problems. if he cant help you out to much then post back on here and I will be able to help you out with whatever mr. long cant.

********update **********
I just called nissan to get all of the information for my new car. I wanted to see if the recall was done and I also wanted the year, month, and dealer that the car was taken to have the recall completed.

when I called nissan told me that there were no recalls out on my car. and then unlike most people I said ok then I want to know what year month that the recall was done in and dealer that did the recall. the woman on the other like didnt know really what to say. she finally said that she would have to get someone to call me back. I said ok

a week later (yesterday) I get home and on the voicemail its someone from nissan. they said that they were sorry for the mix up but in fact my car did not have any recalls done to it yet. so if I were just a regular person I would be none the wiser thinking that nissan would know...... right? NO how many people are driving around with unsafe cars that nissan has told that their cars are ok? I was very upset about this. I think I am going to have to do a little bit more work on this issue.

I have an ideah of what I might be able to do to nissan to get it through their heads that they cant do this sort of stuff.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:15 PM

Ill try and get pics posted up tonight if I have time. Yesterday afternoon I took off the carpet to see how bad the rust was and got to the seatbelt bolt. I tried getting some leverage on it but the thing moved around too much, then finally it broke off (the whole thing, not the bolt). Got everything out and there is a hole like yours but it isnt as big.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:26 PM

well I just got off of the phone with larry long and he was under the impression that you were thinking about buying this car and that you had not yet gotten it. Im assuming that you own the car now correct?

do you see the seam that runs along the side by the seat belt assembly? if so try and measure 1CM from the seam and if there are any spots that have rusted through within that 1CM then its a level 5 recall. if there is just rust within 1CM but it has not completly rusted through then its a level 4 recall.

post pics with you holding a ruler up next to it then I can get a better idea of what we are dealing with here.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:39 PM

Yeah I told him I had not purchased the car yet and I technically dont right now (dont have the title). The car is sitting in my garage until the end of the month and then ill register it under my name. Im buying it from a friend's uncle so the trust is there and the seatbelt problem isnt really a "big" deal (to me, anyway since its a sound car, mechanically) but it's ****** up that Nissan and its dealers completely denies that this was/is a problem.

In your picture, can you edit it in MS Paint or something and draw the part youre talking about?

Quick Reply: need help with the rust recall (long)