3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Headlight Harness?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 02:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Headlight Harness?

Does anyone have a/the write-up for the "beefing up" of the 89 maxima headlight wiring harness? I found one on craig's site but looking for a more simpler or better one. it has a bit of extra stuff that gets me confused.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by aziphrale
Does anyone have a/the write-up for the "beefing up" of the 89 maxima headlight wiring harness? I found one on craig's site but looking for a more simpler or better one. it has a bit of extra stuff that gets me confused.

The most simple thing to do is buy one already made up and just plug and play. I got one and it is really nice. It has the plugs on it and also the plugs for the relays and there is no way to mess it up at all. Very nice kit.

Here is the kit I got.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:48 PM

Thats a good deal... Thats less than I paid for just the relays (but I have 3 on my harness) and it would have saved hours of putting the harness together and making it work... Seems like there were extra steps in Craig's write up but I guess it makes it so it is fool proof...still a good write-up though... Not too hard to do if you know the basics of what relays do and how the harness is going to work.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:53 AM

Thanks alot !! Didnt know that you can buy it ready made. This is good. 1 question though i see that they also have 9005/9006 harnesses as well. if i want to put this one in wil it fry my lights?
Old 11-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Thanks alot !! Didnt know that you can buy it ready made. This is good. 1 question though i see that they also have 9005/9006 harnesses as well. if i want to put this one in wil it fry my lights?

You buy the harness for the type of headlight bulbs you have. If you are using stock headlights then you buy the 9004 harness if you are using BMW lights then you buy the 9005/9006 harness. If you have the 9004 bulb the 9005/9006 harness will not plug into it.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:53 AM

If anyone's looking to bump up their eBay rating, you can get the harnesses from there too.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:15 PM

Would A harness like this help with my problem of my headlights working intermitently. Sometimes they'll come on and for a few days they won't. It drives me crazy.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by way2fast
Would A harness like this help with my problem of my headlights working intermitently. Sometimes they'll come on and for a few days they won't. It drives me crazy.
yea. This will definetly help that. but it sounds like you have a short somewhere. Does it often go out after it rains? Could be that water got on the short ? Try looking for some frayed wires.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:49 PM

Its really wierd, i just put new bulbs in and at first they didnt work, gave the plug a wiggle and presto they came on, now 4 days later there's light on the pass side but the driverside is toast. Water doesn't seem to affecting them though.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:41 AM

yea. This will definetly help that. but it sounds like you have a short somewhere. Does it often go out after it rains? Could be that water got on the short ? Try looking for some frayed wires.

no its the switch i have two if you wana buy them 20 dollars !! for both plus 4 bucks shiping
Old 11-04-2004, 04:20 PM

will it be the switch even though the pass side light works, and where would the switch be.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:12 PM

Ok So i just soldered in a new socket for my headlight and nothing, i still cant get the driverside headlight to come on. can ANYBODY help me i need to get my car inspected and if it fail inspection i can't insure it/drive it/ Sell it (right now i'd give it away). thanks
Old 11-04-2004, 07:59 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Icepick told you what your problem was. The switch that you turn on is messed up. Search and you will see that a number of members had this same problem and the switch fixed it for them. Pretty common.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:21 AM

thanks for the back up awsm66
Old 11-05-2004, 08:24 PM

I also remember reading that alot of members had burnt out headlight harneses. I appreciate the reply and the info, the only reason i posted again was to see if anybody else had similar problems that wern't related to the switch.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:18 AM

wow, this is some sweet stuff.. i should have just gotten this to feed my 80W rice bulbs. just the wires and one of the harness cost me half that much in lordco.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by way2fast
Ok So i just soldered in a new socket for my headlight and nothing, i still cant get the driverside headlight to come on. can ANYBODY help me i need to get my car inspected and if it fail inspection i can't insure it/drive it/ Sell it (right now i'd give it away). thanks
I had my switch burn out.. the low beams worked but the highbeams wouldnt come on... so the switch may be the problem... but you might have a blown fuse which would be much easier and cheaper than a switch... there is a fuse for each headlight in the fuse box to the right of the battery. This may not be the problem but only takes a minute to check...
Old 11-06-2004, 04:58 PM

Headlight harness melting

This seemed like the perfect topic to ask this question. I have a 90 se and the end of my harness are melting when using 3A's Crystal Hyper White bulbs. They are perfect when using stock. The specs on the box says that they are 45w and 4200k. I also purchased and installed an APC wire harness. After a few weeks, those were melted too. Each time it happened it was the ground wire of the harness that melted. Hopefully someone here experienced a similar problem and can help me with a solution because i like the lights.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ninty-two-se
I had my switch burn out.. the low beams worked but the highbeams wouldnt come on... so the switch may be the problem... but you might have a blown fuse which would be much easier and cheaper than a switch... there is a fuse for each headlight in the fuse box to the right of the battery. This may not be the problem but only takes a minute to check...

Thanks Ninty-two-se. I gave the fuse a check and it looks to be good, so it looks like the next try is the switch. When your switch went out did the light on your dash come on (the high beam indicator), im assuming it means that the headlight is burnt out. The buzzer that comes on when the light is burnt out has stopped buzzing, electrical problems get me so confused.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:32 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 0260N9
This seemed like the perfect topic to ask this question. I have a 90 se and the end of my harness are melting when using 3A's Crystal Hyper White bulbs. They are perfect when using stock. The specs on the box says that they are 45w and 4200k. I also purchased and installed an APC wire harness. After a few weeks, those were melted too. Each time it happened it was the ground wire of the harness that melted. Hopefully someone here experienced a similar problem and can help me with a solution because i like the lights.

stop buying the cheap overwattage bulbs!!!!

if you melted with the harness then you should really check the ground connection.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
The most simple thing to do is buy one already made up and just plug and play. I got one and it is really nice. It has the plugs on it and also the plugs for the relays and there is no way to mess it up at all. Very nice kit.

Here is the kit I got.
Was wondering if you can help me out. i bought the harness that you purchased as well. Got them today in mail. I took it out and everything. Currently not home. Have a question. there is the circular power wires. i guess theses go directly to the battery. and i see the relay inserts, and the light harnesses. But there is another conector that is connected with the wiring. where odes this go?Its circular like the Light harness. But its reccessed into the plastic casing and has 3 prongs just like the light harness. Does anyone know what this is for? Not really familiar with the electric part of car. So you can call me an electric
Old 11-11-2004, 08:16 PM

Ok. I put the kit on and it works the lights come on. Just not as bright as the original wiring also when i put the lights on bright it cuts out. meaning the lights go out. What i found out was that i had to hold it not on bright but not on just headlight either i would have to push it slighty to make it go to bright. I took out the harness and put in the reg harness and it doesnt have this problem but its not as bright as with the harnesss on bright. So i though maybe its the fuse i changed the fuses in the front relay box the 15's and it was same problem. I took out the left headlight fuse and lights go out but if i take out the right one its fine. It works. Also i thought it might be the ground so i changed the locations and the lights didnt work when i put it at another location it came on. Is there a short do i have to ground it at a certain place? SOme one help me.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just made my own with 12 gauge wire and new relays and fuses (although i hate the extra wire laying around )

I didn't have a problem with my stock wires but figured why not

It's really not worth the headache, just use normal bulbs.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:33 AM

What stalk? I dont know what that is. The lights work with the harness everything is connected. The lights just dont seem bright not nearly as bright as it is when in the stock wiring harness. Another problem is when in the upgraded harness the lights cant go on bright without me holding the swicth in the car at a certain angle. If i push it all way forward it the lights cut out. This does not happen in the regular light harness. I changed the light switches. I dont know what else to do. Could this be happening because its not grounded well? Are the contacts incorrect? Im lost Dont know what else to do. Also when its in the upgraded harness i hear a click coming form where the fuse box is. when i put it on the highs but the fuse doesnt blow. Help me please....

Come on someone must know something....