3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Dragon ram air intake mounting question/ suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Destroying The Hopes And Dreams of Honda Owners Everywhere!

Dragon ram air intake mounting question/ suggestions

i purchased the Ram air kit accessory from http://www.dragonintakes.com. Info can be found there or at http://www.weapon-r.com. I plan on attaching it to my hybrid intake setup which i will be upgrading to a CAI hybrid setup and was wondering what would be the best place to mount the end of the tubing? Since it has a rain guard i believe water wont be an issue. If not i can always buy a bypass valve to be safe. Also what is the diameter of a typical hybrid intake so i can purcahse the right by pass valve? I would like to measure once and cut once so i am looking for suggestions so i dont butcher the engine bay and make it look like swiss cheese via trial and error. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:17 PM

any suggestions?
Old 11-08-2004, 11:24 PM

i never did like the idea of foam intake filters...it can deteriorate over time from heat, etc and tiny chunks can get sucked into the engine.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Banned

umm hmm... and what happens in the engine???

hmmm... COMBUSTION!

Therefore, all of the foam will be gone!

Foam is fine.

Brian
Old 11-09-2004, 08:42 PM

but it can cloge certin vacum lines
Old 11-09-2004, 08:58 PM

my concern is not the filter but the ram air kit accessory. It has this tubing which i want to use to get even colder air than that available from our cold air intakes now. My question is i would like to mount it perhaps where the stock fog lights would go on an SE. I have a gxe with no fog lights obviously. Thing is is it feasible and or where should i drill the hole in order to achieve this idea.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:51 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by Flipdoutmax93
my concern is not the filter but the ram air kit accessory. It has this tubing which i want to use to get even colder air than that available from our cold air intakes now. My question is i would like to mount it perhaps where the stock fog lights would go on an SE. I have a gxe with no fog lights obviously. Thing is is it feasible and or where should i drill the hole in order to achieve this idea.
Ram air deosn't have proof that it'll work. I doubt that you'll be going at speeds for it to make a difference anyway. Regular CAI's off of ebay (hybrid 90-93 accord) will work. Are you putting the filter that look? Either way I think it's a dad idea. IMO
Old 11-10-2004, 08:36 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 1989MaxMan
umm hmm... and what happens in the engine???

hmmm... COMBUSTION!

Therefore, all of the foam will be gone!

Foam is fine.

Brian
ok so foam is gone...what's filtering the air? NOTHING!

oh and when you melt foam it turns into this gooey paste...yeah that's gotta be good for the motor.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:50 AM
I'm needing a caw

You kiddn' me?! That gooey stuff is like octane

Originally Posted by DanNY
ok so foam is gone...what's filtering the air? NOTHING!

oh and when you melt foam it turns into this gooey paste...yeah that's gotta be good for the motor.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You kiddn' me?! That gooey stuff is like octane
nice!
Old 11-10-2004, 04:49 PM

The weapon-r ram air performed well at least in the one dyno test i seen
http://tprmag.com/issue/1/sr-results.shtml
thats why i was going to give it a try.
Jeff92se how did you mount those relays that were in the way in your intake setup? i plan on doing the piping simillar to yours except extending it farther down to the foglight with the tubing that will be connected to the filter. About how much clearance do you have with the headlights? i have the bmw projector headlights so i think the filter wouldn't be able to be placed where you have yours setup. although im not really sure from the pictures i saw of your setup.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Im izz sexay

Jeff92se how did you mount those relays that were in the way in your intake setup? i plan on doing the piping simillar to yours except extending it farther down to the foglight with the tubing that will be connected to the filter. About how much clearance do you have with the headlights? i have the bmw projector headlights so i think the filter wouldn't be able to be placed where you have yours setup. although im not really sure from the pictures i saw of your setup.
why does the site says
All Results are +/- .5hp and +/- .10 seconds
Do not compare these results to the Cold Air Intake Results
just curious not trying to prove anything.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:43 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ya know what....
if you take off the air filter i'm sure you'll get the similar gains...if not better.

it's known that foam does not filter well...but it's good for flow.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm needing a caw

The relay mount was a custom thing. Just plate with holes and 2 sec to weld it to the battery tie down rod. I probably could have made you a CAI for your VG for cheaper than what you are doing but good luck with it. I sold my last VE CAI and probably won't make any more. 3-gen market is dismal and it seems my pics only show people how to copy vs sell.

You should be able to fit the pipe behind the light with no cutting of the headlight bracket. But you WILL have to cut some of the bracket that held the stock airbox horn. You also have to cut some of the braket below the horn so the pipe will fit under the headlight bracket.