3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

auto tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 11:23 AM

auto tranny problems

I've been looking around to figure out what my symptoms mean and here is what I have so far, with 246000 miles.

1-sometimes first is sluggish but sometimes when it is cold on any kind of day, it will throw me back into the seat

2-when I'm driving it cold, engine temp not outside temp, it will slip and jsut idle, in gear, at any speed in any gear. I put it in N and then keep it from dying then put it back in gear.

3-when it slips I can hit the o/d button and that will take care of it and other times I have to perform operation number 1.

4-i was seraching google and I found a page, for automatic maximas, saying that the slipping can be fized by changing the clutch solenoid.

But my freind found a guy to rebuild his 98 auto for $800, so should I keep tracking down the sloenoid idea or jsut wait and see how his turns out or look for a newer used tranny?

thanks for anything
Old 11-14-2004, 11:49 AM

Firstly, please read your post before hitting the send button - hard to decipher #2...

Also, can you specify whether you have VE engine or VG - trannies are different and most of what I'm writing refers to VG tranny (RE4F02A).

If you haven't done the routine maintenance on your tranny, or don't know the service history from the previous owner, get the system flushed completely.

The slipping issue in #3 refers to the 2-3 upchange? If so, this is reasonably common & yes, taking it out of o/d does help - I've found that by kicking it down to 2nd again, it will change into 3rd if I take the foot off the gas. More often than not, I just take it easy on the gas until the change has happened.
I've researched this fault, and it appears to be a result of hardened seals, allowing fluid to pass thru instead of actuating the solenoid. There is a seal replacement kit, but this involves stripping the tranny. Replacing the valve body didn't fix this fault.

You can adjust the clutch bands on our trannies (RE4F02A) - remove the valve body and you'll see the band adjuster. Loosen the locknut and torque the adjustment bolt to 10 foot / pounds. Loosen off the bolt 1.5 turns & tighten locknut. Note that this is from memory - if you can find the Haynes manual for the 82-86 U11 Stanza (which uses the same tranny, but in non-ecu form), this has the adjustment write-up.

If you have the VE tranny (RE4F04A or V), hopefully someone else will be able to help you.

BIG NOTE: Nissan FWD trannies are made by the same supplier (JATCO) and their is a similarity in design between them. Therefore, the adjustment procedure that I've written for the RE4F02A tranny will most likely apply to other trannys of the RL or RE FWD family, as used in the Sentra (Pulsar / Sunny), Stanza (Bluebird) and Maxima. However, experiment at your own risk...
Old 11-15-2004, 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=nismobaron]Firstly, please read your post before hitting the send button - hard to decipher #2...

If you have problems understanding what I'm trying to say, then PM me or don't post. I don't need some post ***** trying to take me to grammer school jsut to keep himself busy.

I've got too many other things to deal with, like an 11yr old Max, and I don't need you to correct me. If you have something to say, I would like to hear it, but keep your attitude and personal comments to yourself
Old 11-15-2004, 06:22 PM

His profile says 1993 SE and from USA, so he'd have a VE Its a common problem, are you the original owner?
Old 11-15-2004, 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=Mirrormere]
Originally Posted by nismobaron
Firstly, please read your post before hitting the send button - hard to decipher #2...

If you have problems understanding what I'm trying to say, then PM me or don't post. I don't need some post ***** trying to take me to grammer school jsut to keep himself busy.

I've got too many other things to deal with, like an 11yr old Max, and I don't need you to correct me. If you have something to say, I would like to hear it, but keep your attitude and personal comments to yourself
Maybe you should've taken your own advice & pm'd me instead...
FTR: Am hardly a post *****; just trying to help & give back to the .org
Sorry you took offence as none was intended.

ScreamingVE - yeah, I thought Mirrormere was driving a VE Max, but hoped the info was of some benefit all the same.