3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

searching for good alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 10:49 PM
blacks92seAuto

searching for good alarm

I am in the market for a nice alarm...I want one that goes off when any window is broken, door trunk hood opened, or even if a shopping cart is going 2mph into it. Also, I would say I do good with wires and stuff...as I did just setup a relay and rewire my corner lights and set my fog lights up, and I set up my entire car stereo. Would I be able to install a good working alarm myself, or should I just go to car toys and have them do it? ALso I need to know what is the BEST brand to buy. Im going to add a kill switch to my stock foglight switch in the spring. but want an alarm for now. Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:11 AM
STFU n00b!

An alarm is NOTHING compared to wiring corners or an audio system. especially a top quality one that taps into just about every system in the car.

unless you understand relays, the car's circuitry, positive and ground pulses, diodes, etc... then I suggest you pay someone to install the alarm for you.

as for brands.. DEI makes good stuff. Alpine used to as well.

check out your local stores and see what they have available and shop in a price range you're willing to spend. remember to factor install into the price as well. it usually runs $60-$150 depending on the complexity of the alarm.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:39 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by blacks92seAuto
I am in the market for a nice alarm...I want one that goes off when any window is broken, door trunk hood opened, or even if a shopping cart is going 2mph into it. Also, I would say I do good with wires and stuff...as I did just setup a relay and rewire my corner lights and set my fog lights up, and I set up my entire car stereo. Would I be able to install a good working alarm myself, or should I just go to car toys and have them do it? ALso I need to know what is the BEST brand to buy. Im going to add a kill switch to my stock foglight switch in the spring. but want an alarm for now. Thanks for your opinions and suggestions.
so basically you want an alarm that my car will set off as I drive past, that everyone will call the police and complain about, and totally ignore when someone actually is breaking into the car.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:54 AM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by internetautomar
so basically you want an alarm that my car will set off as I drive past, that everyone will call the police and complain about, and totally ignore when someone actually is breaking into the car.
just about. actually hoping that if im at work and carts are always hitting my car, then i always get to leave my post and go turn it off .

Old 12-02-2004, 07:57 AM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
An alarm is NOTHING compared to wiring corners or an audio system. especially a top quality one that taps into just about every system in the car.

unless you understand relays, the car's circuitry, positive and ground pulses, diodes, etc... then I suggest you pay someone to install the alarm for you.

as for brands.. DEI makes good stuff. Alpine used to as well.

check out your local stores and see what they have available and shop in a price range you're willing to spend. remember to factor install into the price as well. it usually runs $60-$150 depending on the complexity of the alarm.
car toys usually has specials like, you buy over $75 thing and they install same day free..so i think i may do just that....also, you think they can have it setup somehow to another battery....I dont want theives to be able to just disconnect my battery and have the alarm die./..I want them to disconnect the battery, and be like...WTF its still going off.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:54 AM
mod or sell?

most good alarms have a built in backup for the siren
Old 12-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I've always had good experience from Ungo (Clarion). You can add a motion sensor to any system, I added one to my Ungo as well as an extra shock sensor in the trunk. The motion sensor is dual zone and pics up everything. The worse problem I have out of it is during the winter. It senses the heat coming from the heater ducks and thinks there's movement. I need to turn its sensitivity down!
Old 12-02-2004, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by blacks92seAuto
. . . then i always get to leave my post and go turn it off .
So in other words, you want an excusable way to get out of work.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:50 PM

I just installed a new alarm in my max, it wasn't fun. In the end I was like damn that was easy, I said that because the alarm had like a zillion wires that I had no use for! I got a prestige alarm with a two way remote, that pages you when an intrusion occurs, its got a little lcd screen. Also remote start, thats pretty much why I installed it, to let the car warm up 3 mins. in the winter

Just an FYI, we have two start/crank wires that need to be energized.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:12 PM
blacks92seAuto

how much is a good alarm that comes with remote start? im sure it will be above the price for free instalation

Old 12-10-2004, 07:59 PM

Viper 791XV $250 ebay