3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

question on installing after-market alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

question on installing after-market alarm

Hi, I recently installed a crimestopper CS-2000 III alarm system with remote keyless entry on my 1994 maxima and it seems it is interfering with the factory alarm system (open the door with the remote will trigger the factory alarm). I did this with my friend and we checked every wire before we connected it as instructed in the manual and diagram. According to the manual, the system can be programmed to send double negative unlock pulses to interface with the factory alarm in some Nissan, VW and Lexus. I tried that but it did not solve the problem.

So my question is will these two unlock negative pulses indeed work with the Maxima factory alarm? I looked up in the old posts and found some people mentioned a resistor is needed to solve this compatibility issue.

One thing I also observed is that locking the door with the remote does not always arm the factory alarm system (the security light does not glow for about 30 sec ). Only when it is armed, I will have the problem. So I am also wondering whether there is an easy way to disable the factory alarm easily. Pulling out the fuse does not seem to work. Do I have to disconnect some wires to the factory alarm system module?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:14 PM
mod or sell?

I know that on my max, as long as the door lock goes up on all 4 doors the alarm is disarmed. if it only goes up on the one door it MAY have disarmed but I'm never 100% sure.
there is a sensor in the door that detects whether the lock button is up or down. if the door opens and it senses the lock being down the alarm goes off.
so chances are your problem lies in that sensor.
as far as totally disarming the OE alarm goes, I think you just pull the entire box and it's gone. the box is on the side of the steering wheel.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply. The newly installed alarm and RKE function normally by itself and all four doors are unlocked when I used the remote. But that still triggers the factory alarm. That is why I am wondering whether the double negative pulse will be enough to disarm the factory alarm. I am a little hesitated to remove the factory alarm, but if that is only way (easy way) to go, I will do it.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you do not need a double pulse

you need a single pulse to the factory alarm to arm or disarm the system
I'm not sure if that system has a dedicated line for factory arm and disarm. If it does, that's all you need. Otherwise, you can tie a wire from the lock output to the factory arm. For the unlock, you can do the same thing, but you'll need to put a diode in between the unlock and disarm wires so that someone could not reach in and press the unlock button and then disarm the stock alarm (although you probably could just hook it straight up and then the crimestopper should still be armed if they did happen to press the unlcok button instead of just pulling up the lock like I think most people would do).

if you want to eliminate the stock alarm, you can simply unplug it.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the info.

Interesting. I did not know that pressing the unlock button and pulling up the lock will make a difference internally, maybe one produces the simple negative pulse and the other functions mechanically?

Is there a wiring diagram of the stock alarm or some other information materials available I can refer to? I am really fascinated about how such a system works, especially what are the internal signals to the stock alarm when I open the door by key, by remote transmitter and by pressing the unlock button when windows are open? and how the diode does its magic to solve the campatibility issue.

Another dumb question, I was told by the technical support from crimestopper that the system can only be disarmed by using the remote transmitter (cannot be done using the factory key). Is this a common nature for the after-maker alarm systems?
Old 12-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by catenin
Thanks for the info.

Interesting. I did not know that pressing the unlock button and pulling up the lock will make a difference internally, maybe one produces the simple negative pulse and the other functions mechanically?

Is there a wiring diagram of the stock alarm or some other information materials available I can refer to? I am really fascinated about how such a system works, especially what are the internal signals to the stock alarm when I open the door by key, by remote transmitter and by pressing the unlock button when windows are open? and how the diode does its magic to solve the campatibility issue.

Another dumb question, I was told by the technical support from crimestopper that the system can only be disarmed by using the remote transmitter (cannot be done using the factory key). Is this a common nature for the after-maker alarm systems?

When you pull up the lock on one door, the others are not affected, it's just a mechanical movement opening the lock via the linkages. The unlock button sends a - pulse to the door lock timer (92-94 only) and that unlocks all doors using the door lock actuator.

Generally, I think the only way aftermarket alarms are disarmed is by remote but some may have additional inputs but I've never seen that on crimestoppers

The stock alarm doesn't care about the windows at all. Once it is armed and the security light is off (after being on solid for 30 seconds), it monitors all doors, trunk and hood.

check your PM for info about the diode stuff