3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Panel button lights -93 J30 ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 04:04 AM

Panel button lights -93 J30 ???

- Where are the std manual 'climate ctrl panel' bulbs located,
- total qty?
- Are there anywhere pics available online?

Too dark up here in the snow to find the right lever, Help mee before we free ze...
Old 12-10-2004, 05:13 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

there are 2 of them. Use the micro bulbs form radio shack.

pull the MCC out and you will see a little flap. Pull that flap up and you will see two light bases that you unscrew. unscrew them and pull them out. put the new bulb in making sure you wrap the terminals like the old ones and you will be good to go.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
pull the MCC out and you will see a . Pull that flap up and you will see two light bases that you unscrew. unscrew them and pull them out. put the new bulb in making sure you wrap the terminals like the old ones and you will be good to go.
Thanks! Sorry to bother still. I had it once open and did not see the bulbs:

"pull the MCC out" ---> do I have to disconnect all wires etc to access this flap?
"little flap" ---> top, side, or under or rear of the assy??
"...there are 2 of them." --->What points do these two actually light up?

Current situation:
- The fan&temp slide ***** [vertical 'bar'] have a poor faint hint of glow.
- Pushbuttons have none - except grn leds when pushed down (=selected).
- Fan "1234" -paneltexts; neither temp slide red/blue '-panel' no lights.
After bulb change, will there be any change for the mentioned pushbuttons, -panels?
(I used to have -89 sentra with almost similar system well lighted with one bulb)
Old 12-10-2004, 06:23 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by awsm66

pull the MCC out and you will see a little flap. Pull that flap up and you will see two light bases that you unscrew. unscrew them and pull them out. put the new bulb in making sure you wrap the terminals like the old ones and you will be good to go.

Do they have Radio Shack in Sweden?
Old 12-10-2004, 06:28 AM

Shacks all over up to Lapland. Some even have radios... Huts in lapland, only reindeer adios

Btw. Getting heat on in the freezing cold is dead serious business, no time to play with reindeers!

Officially: HELP mee!
Old 12-10-2004, 06:40 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

yes take the wires off of the unit to pull it out. The little flap is right on top there...cant miss it.

I am not sure which light lights up what but you might as well replace both while you are in there. I think one is part of the slider and part of the buttons and the other is the buttons and the other half of the slider...I honestly cant remember but those are the only 2 in there and replacing them will cure your problem unless its in the wiring (doubtful since the lights going out is pretty common).
Old 12-10-2004, 06:48 AM

Thank you very much for the info.

Would not like to take all wiring off for LAMPS! I'll try to put bright leds instead, then this nuisance will never be a problem again.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Wiking
Thank you very much for the info.

Would not like to take all wiring off for LAMPS! I'll try to put bright leds instead, then this nuisance will never be a problem again.

Well the problem with that is that the lights go straight down and the instruments are lit up by the side of the light I do believe. I might be wrong on that though. Anyway if this is the way it is made then the LEDs will not work since they are a more focused light that goes out instead of around. You just have to check it out.

Also you may be able to pull it out without taking the wiring loose. You just have to get in there and see. Its been a while since I have had a MCC out.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:01 AM

I dug the box out, bent the right box support to twiggle the assy out. Three connectors plus the flap ctrl wire.

Youre right, leds will not do, the light has to be 'sideways' and some 180 degrees at least. But these bulbs - they are really tiny... did not have such in my kit, soldered some others instead in the end of thin wires, broke the box cover somewhat and will put duct tape on. Next time no such hassle as I can replace both while the box is in place. The assy is Real Designers flower!

Anyway, thanks, Now all lights work.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just a quick pointer, since you like you put LEDS everywhere in your car, why don't you just drill two holes at the top of the mask above the climate control unit, put two high intensity LEDs that aims downward and voala, the ENTIRE face of the control unit will be lighted, plus the area around your shifter will be lighted as well, two for one deal, can't beat that
Old 12-11-2004, 01:07 AM

I did somethin similar year ago. Six green [small] leds, magnifient. But the light from inside the signs is still luxury... and now it works. Thanks all for the info; (the bulbs were well hidden... the wholeconstruction is weird.)

One UV led from console, one from door, and all black gets shiny blue glimmer. Green for foot area. Win sw / door ***** small green leds [pcb supply via 4kresistors]. Its not still Christmas tree... Awesome say who see.