3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Complete Replacement Bushing Set?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 08:53 PM

Complete Replacement Bushing Set?

Okay, I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy this Maxima that I have been looking at. I have absolutely NO experience working on imports, but lots of experience working on Mustangs and older Chevy's....so here are my questions...
1. Does anyone make a complete set of replacement bushings for the suspension. I am looking for a Total set that would allow me to take the entire suspension apart and replace with something that would make it feel like new, not necessarily for autocrossing or anything, just tighten it up and maybe make it a little stiffer. I have searched the web for Energy Suspension and Prothane, but it does not appear as though they make a total set for 3rd gen maximas....anyone else?
2. What are my options for shocks/struts? Again....looking to restore original ride quality, not wanting to make it F1 like........least expensive option to restore or slightly upgrade ride quality...
I have a week of vacation coming up in January with no traveling planned so I can get a lot done in a weeks time.......Thanks again for all the help,
Jason.

BTW, heres the one I am considering.......
Old 12-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

no. but you can get the entire rear set.

bushings

then you can replace the control arem bushigs, ball joints etc. and check out blehmco if you want to splurge and real tighten her up, check the stickies too.

Ps. your pic is a little large, but it looks pretty nice. congrats!
Old 12-15-2004, 06:29 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by jasba
Okay, I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy this Maxima that I have been looking at. I have absolutely NO experience working on imports, but lots of experience working on Mustangs and older Chevy's....so here are my questions...
1. Does anyone make a complete set of replacement bushings for the suspension. I am looking for a Total set that would allow me to take the entire suspension apart and replace with something that would make it feel like new, not necessarily for autocrossing or anything, just tighten it up and maybe make it a little stiffer. I have searched the web for Energy Suspension and Prothane, but it does not appear as though they make a total set for 3rd gen maximas....anyone else?
2. What are my options for shocks/struts? Again....looking to restore original ride quality, not wanting to make it F1 like........least expensive option to restore or slightly upgrade ride quality...
I have a week of vacation coming up in January with no traveling planned so I can get a lot done in a weeks time.......Thanks again for all the help,
Jason.
Energy suspension makes front control arm bushings that are adaptable to the third gen. the rears they also make.

Struts your options are basically:
KYB
Tokico
Koni
from what you're saying, you are probably best off with the KYBs.

all the aforementioned parts are available at http://internetautomart.com/3rdgen.html
Old 12-15-2004, 08:59 AM

The only thing that ES doesn't make (or can't be adapted) in polyurethane is the rear trailing arm bushing. I ordered a set from my local Whiteline dealer, but haven't used them yet. Oztek (New Zealand) also sells them and have a US site. I get the feeling that they're all made by Fulcrum in Europe though, which is what my baggie says.

Also made/sold by these guys is an exact fit bushing for the front, which doesn't need "adapting", and I'd probably get if I had to do this over. The biggest problem is that they're much more expensive and not graphite impregnated urethane.

AFAIK only Courtesy can sell the ES rear lateral link bushing set....
Old 12-21-2004, 06:12 PM
nek
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ebay has the arms for 65 dollars that's where I'm getting mine from.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:17 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by nek
Support your .org guys. Mattblhem or Internetautomar or someone. Ebay can be a hassle, anyway. Pay the .org back for the help when possible.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:47 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by nek
ok, so buy them from me on there, it's your money.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:11 PM
nek

how can i buy them from you and for how much
Old 12-21-2004, 10:26 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by nek
If you click on his screenname, then visit his homepage, then click on 3rd gen parts, then click on suspension..... walaaa!!! It's that easy.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:27 PM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by nek
www.internetautomart.com
go to the 3rd gen section...I personally have gone through him before for a new o2 sensor...cheapest around and fast shipping. He is a good guy.

Old 12-21-2004, 10:30 PM
nek

bushings

how long does it take to ship to chicago
I only need bushings and I see you have that.
do you accept paypal
Old 12-21-2004, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bman
The only thing that ES doesn't make (or can't be adapted) in polyurethane is the rear trailing arm bushing. I ordered a set from my local Whiteline dealer, but haven't used them yet. Oztek (New Zealand) also sells them and have a US site. I get the feeling that they're all made by Fulcrum in Europe though, which is what my baggie says.

Also made/sold by these guys is an exact fit bushing for the front, which doesn't need "adapting", and I'd probably get if I had to do this over. The biggest problem is that they're much more expensive and not graphite impregnated urethane.

AFAIK only Courtesy can sell the ES rear lateral link bushing set....
how much did those cost? I just bought the blehmco radius arms instead :-/
Old 12-21-2004, 10:36 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by nek
do you accept paypal
pssst. He's in Chicago. Throw him a PM. He's professional and cool. He'll fix you up.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:01 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by nek
do you accept paypal
I accept paypal, I can ship as fast as I can drive.
the bushing you need is which one?
I'm having trouble sourcing the bushing by itself my warehouse is out at the moment but I'm working on an alternate source.
BTW the arms I sell come with the ball joints so you're better off buying the whole arm rather than just bushings.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
how much did those cost? I just bought the blehmco radius arms instead :-/
Umm... quite a bit. I don't remember off the top of my head, but between the deposit and the rest later I think it came out to $70-80 Cdn, which is roughly $60-ish USD. Still cheaper than the heim joint kit and probably not as rough riding, although it doesn't buy you any adjustability...

If you're curious I can check my reciepts and post up some part numbers later on.